Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
We have been to look at a 1998 monaco windsor; I have one worry, the previouse owner has painted the rubber roof but, hes done it over the dirt so its cracking and flakeing of. Do you think i could just jet-wash it and the paint hes put on will just lift of so i can clean the roof and do the job properly. has anyone had to do a similer thing before.

Would really like some davice on this one, whats your thoughts?

Patrick

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Pat
If it's cracking and flaking aleady I can't see a problem jetting it off its obviously not sticking very well ...... can't see the pressure wash hurting the original rubber roof

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Go easy with it though Pat, if the roof coating is lifting chances are the pressure washer could disturb the sealant around the roof vents etc if you are too vigorous with it.....the first thing you will know about it will be nasty stains on your head lining inside.

Best give the roof a good scrub with some detergent and a soft brush to remove any loose bits andthen re-do the coating and, if necessary, the sealant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hiya Patrick,

Yep, just take it careful around the sealing tapes unless you've got a one-piece EPDM sheet the whole length of the bus, which, considering the year of manufacture, I guess you have.Also take care not to disturb the vent seals etc.

Get the crap off it with a good cleaner.Coat the whole roof with a elastomeric coatoing for EPDM Roofs.:thumb:Smeone on here could tell you where to buy that.

The membrane should last for 25 years.Just be careful when walking on it.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
The roof on the Monaco will have been fitted properly at the factory.....i.e. in one piece. I have never yet seen an RV that has had a rubber roof laid in patches or sections unless it has been done on the cheap such as a DIY job to cover up an old, failing ally roof.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hiya Patrick

Get the crap off it with a good cleaner.Coat the whole roof with a elastomeric coatoing for EPDM Roofs.:thumb:Smeone on here could tell you where to buy that.

Stateside Tuning would be the best place and you'll get a discount from Linda:thumb:

Last edited:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I would be very careful in using a pressure washer! There surely must have been a problem if the roof has had to be painted, I have a 2000 Windsor and my roof is in one piece and has not been painted!

100_1542.jpg

100_0355.jpg

Regards Pat

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you are worried about the roof you should walk away, there are so many RV's on the market at the moment that it is a buyers market.

I was talking to a guy at Americana who had recently bought a 5 year old Damon Escaper. At some time the roof, or a part of it had failed and he subsequently discovered that most of the roof was rotten and sections needed replacing at a cost of £5500. So please take care.

The story didn't end there; he took it back to his dealer but discovered that since his purchase they had gone bust and had a management buyout and whilst they had the same staff, the same premises and the same management, the new company refused to honour the warranty!:Angry:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Patrick

I thinks Jim's advise is the best mate.

It's a buyers market why buy something thats potentially a pig in a poke.

No matter how much you like it walk away and buy another there's hundreds of used RV's out there, this one's trouble already and you have'nt bought it yet.

Just my opinion mate

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
If it is just the old paint then give it a good clean by hand and re paint it, did mine with stuff from Linda and can't get over how much better it is now.

Regards

Lampie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back