Rubber roof conditioner? (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Hi,
After having my rubber roof replaced recently I was told by one of the guys doing it that I would need to apply a "conditioner" once of twice a year. Thetford sell one in the States, not here.
Question is; do I need to do this and if so, where can I get it. Also I guess; what does it do, UV protection?
JK

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I would guess it will help slow down the rubber drying out due to UV damage so definitely worth doing.
Maybe you can find something similar that will do the same job.
RV forums may know ?

Deleted User
Hi,
After having my rubber roof replaced recently I was told by one of the guys doing it that I would need to apply a "conditioner" once of twice a year. Thetford sell one in the States, not here.
Question is; do I need to do this and if so, where can I get it. Also I guess; what does it do, UV protection?
JK

I did a little research into this a few years ago for our fiver, from what I remember there are 2 different types of rubber used and one type naturally forms a grey powder, which is what ours has done, and I decided that it was best left alone.
Lots of info out there if you google, if the guys that did the job recommend it I think that I would be inclined to follow their advice, the stuff can be sourced over here but not cheap.

www.abp-accessories.co.uk/product.php?cat=110

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My company ( I'm retired now ) was in construction specifically I was a roofing contractor.
We did tiling and slating. Over time we turned to EPDM ( Rubber) and Fibreglass but we did this only because customers occasionally asked us to do it as part of a bigger renovation.

My knowledge therefore is a little limited when it comes to Rubber and/or fibreglass roofing in so much as the guys who worked for me did that devision.

What I can say though is there is zero requirement to apply any product to a well fitted rubber roof. Absolutely zero.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
I am a working roofer and I personally don't rate EPDM or rubber roofs. I have seen MANY instances where these coverings fail.
With rubber roofs the adhesion of glue/rubber is the biggest failure even before the rubber has chance to deteriorate.
I agree with the above comment that there should be no point in applying additional products to ensure longevity of a roof covering, when I fit a 3 layer bitumen roof my customers need not do anything ???

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I agree with the above comment that there should be no point in applying additional products to ensure longevity of a roof covering, when I fit a 3 layer bitumen roof my customers need not do anything ???
But won't all the little stones fall off a motorhome roof :D

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I am a working roofer and I personally don't rate EPDM or rubber roofs. I have seen MANY instances where these coverings fail.
With rubber roofs the adhesion of glue/rubber is the biggest failure even before the rubber has chance to deteriorate.

The failure rate of old fashioned bitumen roofs is far greater than EPDM. Fact.

You are correct it's the glue that when applied incorrectly can fail on EPDM but unless a felt roofer does a proper job that will fail as well.

A felt roof has nowhere near the time durability of a correctly fitted rubber roof. Fact.

I have known and employed too tradesmen that years ago could produce quality felt roofing. Same with EPDM and Fibreglass and there is no doubt in my mind which is best IF fitted correctly.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Rubber tyres are said to be knackered after 5??? years is a roof exposed to the full force of the UV is not going to have an easy time of it, It seems very similar to pond liner and that is guaranteed for ten years exposed to all weather and sun. Butyl I think is the common good one used for that.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
IT might weigh a bit to much for a van, especially the heavier grades and might look a bit sheddish but good grip to walk on the roof with.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
The failure rate of old fashioned bitumen roofs is far greater than EPDM. Fact.

You are correct it's the glue that when applied incorrectly can fail on EPDM but unless a felt roofer does a proper job that will fail as well.

I disagree .. most felt roofs fitted 30 years ago (very common to find a felt roof that old) have actually lasted 30 plus years through all sorts of weather conditions !!

The manafcture of felt systems these days are FAR superior quality and agreed IF fitted correctly should easily last 30 years. Bitumen roofs also handle the heat and UV better than you think, their expansion and contraction is critical and the better manufactured product installed the longer it should last.

Domestic EPDM has not been used long enough to state that it is better then bitumen, if that were the case it would spell the death of felt roofs for sure. A good roofer will/should use a good quality product.

A bad roofer will install anything to get you to part with your hard earned cash.

But won't all the little stones fall off a motorhome roof :D

Little stones are sooo old school

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I disagree .. most felt roofs fitted 30 years ago (very common to find a felt roof that old) have actually lasted 30 plus years through all sorts of weather conditions !!

The manafcture of felt systems these days are FAR superior quality and agreed IF fitted correctly should easily last 30 years. Bitumen roofs also handle the heat and UV better than you think, their expansion and contraction is critical and the better manufactured product installed the longer it should last.

Domestic EPDM has not been used long enough to state that it is better then bitumen, if that were the case it would spell the death of felt roofs for sure. A good roofer will/should use a good quality product.

A bad roofer will install anything to get you to part with your hard earned cash.

Little stones are sooo old school

EPDM is and has been very long established in the USA and Canada where weather conditions are more testing than here.

There is nothing wrong with any of the three systems we've mentioned here but the old traditional felt systems are outdated no matter what they are. I do understand the modern materials.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Rubber tyres are said to be knackered after 5??? years is a roof exposed to the full force of the UV is not going to have an easy time of it, It seems very similar to pond liner and that is guaranteed for ten years exposed to all weather and sun. Butyl I think is the common good one used for that.

Entirely different materials with entirely different loads and characteristics. In short no comparison.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back