Rubber or Steel Gaslow hoses? (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
Hi All,
Looking at fitting a second hand Gaslow system from a kind funster on here and have a quick question please?
I will be fitting a manual changeover valve and need to decide to use either the Rubber or Stainless steel hoses from Gaslow?

Could i get some of your views and reasoning behind them please?

many thanks in advance.

Mark

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends on what you mean by rubber ... there are 3 types of hoses you can use:
  • basic rubber type that you use with a BBQ etc with a 4-5 year life
  • thicker rubber ones which have a 10 years life (Gas-it)
  • stainless steel braided ones that have a 20 year life (Gaslow)
I've got stainless steel braided ones but when I added a second bottle I got one of the thicker rubber connecting hoses for it so you can mix/match as required.

Personally I wouldn't use the basic rubber hose at all as ideally they need to be inspected for damage regularly which is something that could be difficult in a locker or neglected altogether.

The cost of the stainless steel ones is between 50% and 100% more than that of the thicker rubber ones but of course you then don't have to mess about changing them so have a shuftie at the prices and see which makes most sense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I had problems with the Truma regulators so decided to go for the full gaslow conversion. New regulator and change over valve with Stainless steel hoses. Fit and forget.

M50

Apr 25, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I have the gaslow change over valve for sale if you need it (see it in classifieds)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Depends if you want to run with the gas on or off.
If ON your bottles need to be the R67 with rupture protection built in, if they are standard bottles only option are the Truma rubber hoses with rupture potection.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Talk of residue building up in rubber hoses that messed with regulator performance prompted me to go for stainless steel. I can't see much point in compromising for the sake of saving a few quid where gas is concerned.

When I had the Gaslow system transferred from the first MH to the second I insisted on the stainless steel pipes coming with it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
As someone who knows about these things pointed out to me, even the stainless steel ones have rubber inside.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As someone who knows about these things pointed out to me, even the stainless steel ones have rubber inside.
I don't think they do .....

The Gaslow 21.8LH Stainless Steel Hose assembly is designed to connect the Gaslow Refillable Cylinder to the fixed regulator in your caravan/motorhome.
Made from Stainless Steel, the rubber free hose removes the possibility of oily plasticiser residue from the rubber contaminating your regulator.
There was a thread on about this not long ago ... I'll see if I can find it!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
See description of product at link on thread #2

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

I was also told this by a seller of Gaslow products, except he said there was a plastic tube inside. Curious :eek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I was also told this by a seller of Gaslow products, except he said there was a plastic tube inside. Curious :eek:
Some of the sellers haven't got a clue! :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back