Row over motorhomes in Whitby (1 Viewer)

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
so it's only an 'aire' if free ?

I think £8- 12 is very reasonable for a CL .. what would you be prepared to pay for a tarmac aire with nothing but water and dumping ?

My point was that we don't need a website that claims to show Aires and then directs you to what is, for sake of argument a CL/CS site, in the middle of nowhere.

£8 to £12 is about average for a CL/CS and I would pay for a proper Aire with water and dump if it was where Aires are supposed to be, ie in a City, Town or Village.

Many Aires in France are not free especially in tourist areas, but they are in the place you want to visit and not stuck out in the wilds.

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My point was that we don't need a website that claims to show Aires and then directs you to what is, for sake of argument a CL/CS site, in the middle of nowhere.

£8 to £12 is about average for a CL/CS and I would pay for a proper Aire with water and dump if it was where Aires are supposed to be, ie in a City, Town or Village.

Many Aires in France are not free especially in tourist areas, but they are in the place you want to visit and not stuck out in the wilds.

Pete:Cool:

fair enough .. but there are dozens of forums, web sites that are only repeating what is listed on others ..

For example.. I know a French web site that lists UK aires when in fact most are just camp sites.. but I won't point to it .

What is an aire.. ? A place to stop, sleep overnight, water and dumping and maybe an EHU ..

What is a CL ..? A place to stop, camp overnight, water and dumping and maybe an EHU .. PLUS .. you can put out chairs, awning and have a BBQ, .. I know which I prefer...

anyways.. I didn't recommend the UK Aires site .. I said it MAY be useful ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not sure why Whitby is being picked out as not motorhome friendly. I have just goggled Whitby and the town is full of good sites, some within the town boundaries. Emptying filling and somewhere safe to stay, what more do you require from a coastal town. The only negative factor is the price, but driving a fifty grand van, is this really a problem. :Cool:

I can see why site owners would be a bit peeved, when paying huge amounts to a council who then give the same service away free. Little wonder they get miffed off and become a negative force.:Angry:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not sure why Whitby is being picked out as not motorhome friendly. I have just goggled Whitby and the town is full of good sites, some within the town boundaries. Emptying filling and somewhere safe to stay, what more do you require from a coastal town. The only negative factor is the price, but driving a fifty grand van, is this really a problem. :Cool:

I can see why site owners would be a bit peeved, when paying huge amounts to a council who then give the same service away free. Little wonder they get miffed off and become a negative force.:Angry:

but they pay VED and have insurance.. Buttons .. surely that entitles you to park and camp wherever you like .. :RollEyes:

problem is , many actually believe that.. , they buy a van and think.. wow .. cheap hols here we come :thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
this is often cited as a reason on forums .. but where is the evidence.

Does or has this happened at existing UK aires, how many councils that have been approached cited this as a reason?

I'm not saying it won't happen, for indeed it happens in France but the French have a more direct way of dealing with it.. no court order required.. a 9mm pistol speak volumes.. and yes.. I've seen them in action.. unwelcome guests don't hang about.

Just found this site which may be useful .. Broken Link Removed .. (I have no connection with it )
There was a traveller park supplied by the local council at middlezoy somerset years ago.
It came with new built toilet wash areas ect.
They had to pay a small council rent to use it.
It was invaded ,wrecked by Irish gipos, so they put a full time warden in , he got beaten up.
There was often police trying to obtain access there looking for stolen trailers and farm machinery.
We would often go up in microlights to photograph the stuff they had stolen in there for farmers.
Then they shut it and blocked the gates up with earth, the gipos returned, ripped out all the pipes /wires ect for scrap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]Not sure why Whitby is being picked out as not motorhome friendly. [/HI]I have just goggled Whitby and the town is full of good sites, some within the town boundaries. Emptying filling and somewhere safe to stay, what more do you require from a coastal town. The only negative factor is the price, but driving a fifty grand van, is this really a problem. :Cool:

The only reason is that Scarborough Borough Council intended to take proper action to regularise camping in car parks (in Scarborough itself as well as in Whitby) but then came up against the planning constraint. The local paper (referenced in the OP) reported the story with a negative spin on it as if the council's initial policy was to ban motorhomes not to regularise camping.

You're absolutely correct that the area is well served for camp sites - plus, of course, regular THSs, meets &c take place in a number of locations within a mile or so of the town centre. Unfortunately that isn't good enough for some folks who think they have a right to camp even where camping is banned.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back