Row over motorhomes in Whitby (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
THE row over motorhomes in Whitby is set to rumble on as council officers do a u-turn on creating designated parking areas for them.

Senior borough councillors are due to agree a set of proposals at a meeting on Tuesday that would ban motorhomes from certain off street car parks in Whitby – but doesn’t provide an alternative space for them.

Link Removed

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
it never ceases to amaze me how these councils can be so closed to new possibilities

id bet that there is a lot of influence from site owners and B&Bs etc...the old, if there not going to come to us then well give them no choice attitude

They just need to take a look at Powys council....1 night in 7 on the majority of the council run car parks and no issues, as far as im aware, todate

Ahwell, same ole, same ole....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is a pity but it probably comes about as a result of abuse by some motorhome owners.

One "club" even boasts on its forum of having used the marina car park behind the Co-op for a meet when the camp site they were going to use was waterlogged - and instead of parking up discreetly and out of the way at the rear, parked in a row right at the front.

The planning permission problem is one which Teignbridge Council came across in the past. Not insurmountable but when councillors gain a bad impression from certain motorhome owners it is not surprising that they are not minded to overcome the problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could say the solution is dont use towns etc that give m,homes hassle . why go there and spend a penny .go somewhere else and spend a pound .
lots of other places to go.
if you live round here you never go to newquay as their local authority give m,homes a hard life . so visit somewhere else . much better.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
The ban is 11:00PM -7:00AM ..... Which I assume means other hours parking is still allowed . From the article , I read it that the main objection to MH s is "causing congestion by the amount of space they take up". So banning overnight only , will remove the problem of daytime congestion how exactly ?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
sorry to say Tunbridge Wells is a no go town as well

Sorry to say Tunbridge Wells is a no go town as well. Even Tonbridge next door 4 miles away which has bags and bags of parking has height barriers everywhere... even the long stay parking at the back of the town which is always empty.

Tunbridge has a lot of historical things to see like the Pantiles, plus a lot of shops and a shopping type mall. But they do not want motorhomes.

If I wanted to park a motor home I would head over to Bluewater shopping centre just of the A2.. welcomes coaches and motor homes.. They can see the £ signs.

I go where my money is appreciated.. some councils cannot see further than there nose.

Canterbury City Council in Kent has a proper aires and also has motorhome parking. far more enlightened.

Bob

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are all sorts of reasons why there is little or no provision for MH parking in some areas. To say that some councils cannot see further than their noses is too sweeping a statement.

Canterbury is a place that has an unusual - if not unique - advantage in that it is a stopping point for people using the Channel on the way to/from the north of the country.

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Coldstreamer

There is now overnight Camper Parking at Pickering N. Yorks, just off the main street (not high St) behind shopping centre signed from Mid Town traffic lights.
Best Regards, Mac

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
Canterbury is just down the road from me and is a very nice place for shopping and things to see and the park and ride is good for Motorhomes £2.50 all day and that's the bus ride as well :thumb:

Nev

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Why do France welcome motorhomes, you can park almost anywhere in towns, and you are not charged and they allow you to park up in motorhomes, and they also provide places for motorhomes to stay overnight where you can fill up with water/empty water, empty cassette loo's??

The UK need to start being more motorhome friendly:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is now overnight Camper Parking at Pickering N. Yorks, just off the main street (not high St) behind shopping centre signed from Mid Town traffic lights.
Best Regards, Mac
Yep !!!

£10 per 24hrs, book in advance.

also just found out it's a 5 van site.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Yep !!!

£10 per 24hrs, book in advance.

also just found out it's a 5 van site.

Broken Link Removed

Nice find PPJ, looks good, trouble is if I took my missus there they'd make me an offer for her that I'd struggle to resist. :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Nice find PPJ, looks good, trouble is if I took my missus there they'd make me an offer for her that I'd struggle to resist. :roflmto:
Although i posted a thread about the Pickering site quite some time ago, this was in response to Coldstreamers post and nowt to do with me.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
anyone would think that the CC and the C&CC pay councils to hinder planning applications for other sites and services for motorhomes.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
anyone would think that the CC and the C&CC pay councils to hinder planning applications for other sites and services for motorhomes.
Nah!!! more to do with local councillors and their second pastime...campsite ownership.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why do France welcome motorhomes, you can park almost anywhere in towns, and you are not charged and they allow you to park up in motorhomes, and they also provide places for motorhomes to stay overnight where you can fill up with water/empty water, empty cassette loo's??

The UK need to start being more motorhome friendly:thumb:

All sorts of reasons for the difference, Bob, some more valid than others. Mainly, the UK will only start providing aires when UK motorhome owners in general want them.

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
Most motorhomers i have met would like aires provided by local council`s I for one would not object to paying for this type of service I know most people will say, thats what a campsite is for; but they are not grasping the idea of motrhomeing i do not want to be parked up on a muddy field or even an all singing and dancing campsite with hard standing and electric hookup miles out of the town . I would like to be able to go out and enjoy a meal and a drink at the local restrauntS and pubs and go back to my van not having to drive but stay put; we all know what i mean but i am afraid due to the :RollEyes:"complications and dificulties" for the local councils to provide this type of service i totaly agree with papa johns previous answer on parking in Whitby.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm sure that, if asked in conversation, most motorhomers would say they would like aires to be provided by local councils. After all, we all like something which is relatively cheap, especially if it is also convenient.

What very few motorhomers will do, though, is to actually put in some constructive effort to achieve aires. All fine and well if somebody else puts the work in but doing the work themselves is a total non-starter for the majority who would like aires.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
it never ceases to amaze me how these councils can be so closed to new possibilities

id bet that there is a lot of [HI]influence from site owners[/HI] and B&Bs etc...the old, if there not going to come to us then well give them no choice attitude

They just need to take a look at Powys council....1 night in 7 on the majority of the council run car parks and no issues, as far as im aware, todate

Ahwell, same ole, same ole....
I dont disagree with you Bungy but why would camp site owners want to prevent motorhomes from parking during the day in the town. Surely having a motothome friendly town would encourage motorhomes onto local camp sites. Just a thought.......never been to Whitby in my life and have no intention of going.

Last edited:

Bowman

Free Member
Feb 12, 2011
South Northants
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood Pacearrow
Exp
Many years
There would be no point in having Aires type stop overs in the UK, they would be full of non paying travellers in seconds!

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
There would be no point in having Aires type stop overs in the UK, they would be full of non paying travellers in seconds!
Locals in towns know as soon as a space is open the gipos would move in .
Thet would take over, rip out anything that has scrap value, leave rubbish everywhere and the council would never move them, because they provided the allocated van park to start with.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
No one is looking at this from the Councils point of view..

A) Providing an aire would be costly, even the one in Calais they employ a man to come around twice a day 7 days a week in season (7;30AM and 5:30PM) and even though the cost is 7 euro people still try and avoid the fees.

B) Agreed, local businesses have a business to run and they pay business rates all of which have to be recovered and a living made.

C) There is a history of abuse by some MH'ers and Travellers and the cost of sorting out the mess falls on the local taxpayers.

D) Budgets are tight, so why would they spend and time / budget on Mhomers?

You can argue that a car will bring in more revenue compared to a motorhome,

There will be an anti aire group and they will include any organised camping group, local residents and some local businesses..

Why is France so different? Interesting question, I suspect its something to do with their attitude in general, such as not throwing rubbish on the floor, respect for their environment.

Yes I know the vast majority of Mhomers would behave themselves but its the small minority that cause the problem...

How do you get around this? Who knows.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

A) Providing an aire would be costly, even the one in Calais they employ a man to come around twice a day 7 days a week in season (7;30AM and 5:30PM) and even though the cost is 7 euro people still try and avoid the fees.

B) Agreed, local businesses have a business to run and they pay business rates all of which have to be recovered and a living made.

C) There is a history of abuse by some MH'ers and Travellers and the cost of sorting out the mess falls on the local taxpayers.

There will be an anti aire group and they will include any organised camping group, local residents and some local businesses..

Why is France so different? Interesting question, I suspect its something to do with their attitude in general, such as not throwing rubbish on the floor, respect for their environment.

Yes I know the vast majority of Mhomers would behave themselves but its the small minority that cause the problem...

[HI]How do you get around this? Who knows[/HI].

Maybe if there were U/K aires all over ,the temptation to ESCAPE to France most years would not be there as it would be the norm for us.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

How do you get around this? Who knows.

I think youv'e hit the nail on the head there..........some motorhomers act like Itinerants admitted they are in the minority.......but just watch how many drive off from shows etc grey tank pouring water out despite signs asking you not too........having marshalled events (not just motorhomes) you see some of the rubbish left behind it beggers belief......the marshal clear all that up are they paid for it......no......guess what it then becomes harder to get people to marshal......we only have most times ourselves to blame.......I smoke and only outside but you wont see loads of cigarette buts where I have parked they will have been binned.....just my opinion of course.......truth for me is most car parks mine doesn't fit :ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Locals in towns know as soon as a space is open the gipos would move in .
Thet would take over, rip out anything that has scrap value, leave rubbish everywhere and the council would never move them, because they provided the allocated van park to start with.

this is often cited as a reason on forums .. but where is the evidence.

Does or has this happened at existing UK aires, how many councils that have been approached cited this as a reason?

I'm not saying it won't happen, for indeed it happens in France but the French have a more direct way of dealing with it.. no court order required.. a 9mm pistol speak volumes.. and yes.. I've seen them in action.. unwelcome guests don't hang about.

Just found this site which may be useful .. Broken Link Removed .. (I have no connection with it )

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Jim

Nice site, but, no info, I could not find one aire, also the forum looks like Old Mo's underpants, all show, no contents..

Back to the topic, I agree with Rick, I have seen vans drive in at pace into the aire at Calais and most of them were Brits trying to avoid the 7euro charge (£5.62) so they may drive a brand new or newish £60k+ van but they wont pay a small fee, that just about sums it up, they are happy for the taxpayer of Calais to foot the bill.

Some time ago we were in Brittany and Mrs ShiftZZ saw an empty can of beer on the ground outside the van, she said that she would go and pick it up, I asked why? Not our can, she replied "They may think its us and that would spoil it for everyone else"..

I enjoy a free camp site as much as the next person and love wildcamping, but even i would be really naffed off if I had booked into a nice hotel, paid extra for a sea view only to see a camper park up for free, hanging out the washing and dropping litter.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim

Nice site, but, no info, I could not find one aire, also the forum looks like Old Mo's underpants, all show, no contents..

maybe it's like the UK aires..... a 'work in progress',

obviously it can only list what already exists and proves the point that there are very few aires in the UK .. maybe a handful at best ?

but as I said.. I have nothing to do with it .. nor have any intentions

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
maybe it's like the UK aires..... a 'work in progress',

obviously it can only list what already exists and proves the point that there are very few aires in the UK .. [HI]maybe a handful at best [/HI]?

but as I said.. I have nothing to do with it .. nor have any intentions

Thats what Judy said about Old Mo...:ROFLMAO:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
this is often cited as a reason on forums .. but where is the evidence.

Does or has this happened at existing UK aires, how many councils that have been approached cited this as a reason?

I'm not saying it won't happen, for indeed it happens in France but the French have a more direct way of dealing with it.. no court order required.. a 9mm pistol speak volumes.. and yes.. I've seen them in action.. unwelcome guests don't hang about.

Just found this site which may be useful .. .[HI]UK Aires[/HI] .. (I have no connection with it )

That has to rate as one of the most useless websites ever.:RollEyes:

Found reference to an Aire near Folkstone @ £8 - £12 per night.:Eeek:
So that would be a CL/CS site then would it?:Doh:

Pete:Cool:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Most motorhomers i have met would like aires provided by local council`s I for one would not object to paying for this type of service I know most people will say, thats what a campsite is for; but they are not grasping the idea of motrhomeing i do not want to be parked up on a muddy field or even an all singing and dancing campsite with hard standing and electric hookup miles out of the town .[HI] I would like to be able to go out and enjoy a meal and a drink at the local restrauntS and pubs and go back to my van not having to drive but stay put; we all know what i mean but i am afraid due to the :RollEyes:"complications and dificulties[/HI]" for the local councils to provide this type of service i totaly agree with papa johns previous answer on parking in Whitby.
Have you not thought of a cab, most towns and villages have them. What do you do at home if you go for a meal or a couple of drinks. :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back