Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Rather specific question, but still hopeful I might get some feedback

We are going to Islay next month, route options are fairly limited due to it's island status

But, I can either go

Arran, Kintyre, Islay, then reverse the route home

or go in via a longer drive missing out Arran on way out or back, we do want to do Arran at least once

Current thinking is drive up A68 via Edinburgh / Stirling, that way I miss my hated road alongside Loch Lomond, then down Kintyre to the ferry across to Islay. Then return by ferry to same place, although I have seen Islay has 2 ferry options, so will go into one and back from the other. then across to Arran, then home via A74 A66

We have 12 days

Hopefully somebody else has done similar, even if you only have opinion I will happy to get replies (y)

David :D

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We went on the "hated Loch Lomond" road:rofl: On our recent trip up to the outer Hebrides . But It's a meens to a very beautiful end .
I know what you mean. Very winedey with big wagons/ lorries speeding towards you. Sticky out walls branches to scratch your windows.
There also working on it at the moment. So it will get better as there widening parts. But for the time bring they have long tailbacks and those flip around stop go signs.
Have a lovely trip. Which ever route you take.
Were planning on going up the beginning of September again. We've been told to avoid last couple of weeks in September because of the winds . By regular visitors and locals.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
12 days David, 12 days!!!

....you could get somewhere warm in that time;)

Well, you did say you wanted opinions:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We went on the "hated Loch Lomond" road:rofl: On our recent trip up to the outer Hebrides . But It's a meens to a very beautiful end .
I know what you mean. Very winedey with big wagons/ lorries speeding towards you. Sticky out walls branches to scratch your windows.
There also working on it at the moment. So it will get better as there widening parts. But for the time bring they have long tailbacks and those flip around stop go signs.
Have a lovely trip. Which ever route you take.
Were planning on going up the beginning of September again. We've been told to avoid last couple of weeks in September because of the winds . By regular visitors and locals.

Thanks R + B, one thing for sure we will enjoy the trip, western Scotland is our favoured UK destination, already done western isles and inner Hebrides, but not done the lower isles (not sure what they are officially called)

As we start out from the east of England we have always used the A1 / A68 to Edinburgh so avoid Glasgow and the A82, thanks for the heads up on the road works though, even more reason to resist the temptation to 'try again', as you say bends, walls and fast approaching lorries on my bit!! It might only be 25 miles or so of bad bit, but probably never again

I am intrigued by the wind report for such a specific period in September, not heard of that, but will bow to local knowledge, but the UK weather tends to go against expectation!!

I will send in photos of this trip as we go (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
12 days David, 12 days!!!

....you could get somewhere warm in that time;)

Well, you did say you wanted opinions:LOL:

Shh! I have told Bev it will be warm (y)

What would you know about anything that far north anyway :D

See you Saturday, but don't mention the temperature, or the risk of rain and certainly not the midges :doh:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
It was warm for the whole 10 days when we were there , we had a couple of over cast days but that's it , we got back last week. A bit of wind where you needed to wear a fleece. But we had fantastic weather. It only rained once at 9 pm one evening.
There were no midges either , can you believe that ? Well non till we were on the way back home at Moffat.
Yes , last couple of weeks in September are supposed to be bad for gale force winds. Not a good thing in that area with a high sided vehicle .
Those aluminium beach chairs ( in the pic) came in very handy. They have a coolbag and little rucksack attached , and you carry them like a back pack. Lots of positions even flat as you can see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks for the photo, just reminds me how nice it is up / out there

Is that beach on Harris, it looks like one I know near to a golden eagle lookout point on the west cost at the end of the B887 a few miles north west of Tarbert ? But so many of the beaches are that nice it could be any of them

Shouldn't really tell the whole of the forum, it could get crowded :D

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back