Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I'm planning a trip to Lake Como,and would like to know the best route to take either by ferry or tunnel,i would like an easy route as the first time abroad with the van,is it easy going through several countries?
Do i need to take certain documents other than passports and insurance.Any help appreciated

Rich

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I can only give you mine in reverse as I have gone back home from Italy, rather than to it, for the last two years. Depends how much time you have to play with as well of course! I stayed at Lake Garda and Lake Maggiore as I don't think there are many campsites or aires around Como but more experienced motorhomers may be able to help. Last year I travelled through Switzerland, into France briefly then through Belgium to miss the French toll roads, then onto Calais. This year I went via Switzerland again (stopped at Des Glaciers, fabulous ACSI site) and then into Germany (currently at an aire at Enkirch on the Mosel). I intend to explore the surrounding area for a couple of weeks then head to Calais. It's fairly straightforward going from country to country as long as you are aware of the legislation for each country in relation to the weight of your van, i.e. if you are over 3500kgs you are classed as a private HGV and this will affect toll roads, speed limits etc. Switzerland requires you to obtain a permit if over 3500kgs to use any road for example, under 3500kgs then you need a vignette for motorways which lasts a year. There are plenty of forums on here which will help! Links like this are also useful:
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/overseas/european_tolls_select.jsp
Hope this helps :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You need all your vehicle docs with you - V5, insurance certificate, dunno about MOT if your van even has one. Oh and your driving licence of course - if it's a photo licence - both parts, paper and card. EHIC card - all travel insurers expect you to use the EHIC when it's applicable before (or alongside) claiming on their policy - which will be issued on the assumption that you already have EHIC.

Last time either of us drove to Italy was 1972 and Pete went through Germany, but we went Eastern France, then both went through Switzerland and across the St Gothard Pass (it's a tunnel now!) into Italy, Lugano, Milan - then they went to Lido de Jesolo and we went to Cattolica.

We actually led almost parallel lives decades before we even knew each other !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
You will need all Sedge says,we always go from Calais to Luxembourg top up with the cheapest fuel in Europe then on through Switzerland,Gothard tunnel,and our favourite site is Magic Lake, Gozo which is at Gozo right by the side of the note eastern shores of Como,we are off next Friday,can't wait.

OP
OP
rich g

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
Thank you for all the useful info,i will need a Vignette for Switerland i believe, is it best to purchase it before we go or wait to buy it there.

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
You can apply online and its sent to you from the Switzerland or stop and buy it at the border £29 sometimes a small delay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back