Route to Barcelona from Calais (1 Viewer)

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Can anyone help me with a toll free / motorway free route to Barcelona from Calais .I am hoping to leave next week via the tunnel , so I am asking for this help as I don't finish work till two days before leaving . So time is tight . Many thanks in advance , Ian

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Google maps gets it petty much as we would do it, definitely would not do the Paris option and might avoid Andorra

If you use a sat nav, just set it to toll free and head south :)(y)

upload_2017-5-22_15-46-0.png

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Calais ,Abbeville,Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Orlean continue on A71 to Vierzon & to Clermont-Ferrand. Then on to A75 all way down to near Beziers (there is a toll to cross Millau bridge but that's all )then down the A9 all way to French border. Then A7/E15 to Barcelona. Although personally I would use the toll road A7/E15 for the shortish distance to Barca

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I just paid my toll bill from April today. Calais to La Rochelle area and back. £155!!!! WTF!

A years road tax in the U.K. for one trip. Bit of a joke but the roads are good for covering distance.

What is crap though are French services. Spanish are atrocious!

We have M&S. Gregs. Subway. WHSmiths. Burger King. KFC. McDonnalds. Krispy Cream. And all days breakfasts that have been sat there all day.

Spain you get some dodgy cured ham and cheese sandwich and a load of Spaniards smoking and that's your lot.

Love the roads and the trips but by god if we could transplant a decent UK services down there.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I just paid my toll bill from April today. Calais to La Rochelle area and back. £155!!!! WTF!

A years road tax in the U.K. for one trip. Bit of a joke but the roads are good for covering distance.

We have M&S. Gregs. Subway. WHSmiths. Burger King. KFC. McDonnalds. Krispy Cream. And all days breakfasts that have been sat there all day.

Spain you get some dodgy cured ham and cheese sandwich and a load of Spaniards smoking and that's your lot.

Love the roads and the trips but by god if we could transplant a decent UK services down there.

Agree about the French ones but the Spanish at least the food is edible reasonably priced , as is the fuel which is usually the same as anywhere else & the coffee is drinkable unlike the machine stuff on French toll roads.
When I've used the spanish toll roads I have never had a problem getting meals ? Admittedly not burgers & shite like that.
There aren't any decent Uk services.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Just mosey-on-down on the A roads, avoiding the motorways and you will find all sorts of bars and cafes to stop for coffee and village boulangeries or restaurants for lunchtime. OK the journey will take longer than it does on the motorway but it will be so much more pleasant - and definitely much cheaper!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Looking for similar calais to lompnas (near bourg en bresse) in a couple of weeks its a pity theres not a smart search engine so you can look at the toll and time saving wouldn't mind paying for some but I'm sure others cost quite a bit with not much saving.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Looking for similar calais to lompnas (near bourg en bresse) in a couple of weeks its a pity theres not a smart search engine so you can look at the toll and time saving wouldn't mind paying for some but I'm sure others cost quite a bit with not much saving.
Try the route planner on ViaMichelin which gives up-to-date toll charges.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Gregs. Subway. WHSmiths. Burger King. KFC. McDonnalds. Krispy Cream. And all days breakfasts that have been sat there all day.

Have any of those places started selling anything edible then?

European services areas don't have crap like that because most of the people in Europe have too much sense to eat any of it. (y)

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I think the clue is that the OP is leaving after work which suggests he is likely to want to get to Barcelona rather than gambol through France for 5-10 days. The Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres route as advised by GL is a good mid range cost drive with a number of Village Etapes en route for a more interesting overnight. Many of the stages can be swapped to toll free but the novelty of driving through camera enforced speed limited small villages and or numerous (shelf spilling, fuel guzzling, French cutting) roundabouts while following the ring road, finds me longing to get to a decent dual carriageway within a short time.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Have any of those places started selling anything edible then?

European services areas don't have crap like that because most of the people in Europe have too much sense to eat any of it. (y)
Why would anyone in a motorhome with the ability to heat hot water and fridge, eat in a motorway service station? McDonalds France is the biggest franchise outside the USA.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Calais ,Abbeville,Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Orlean continue on A71 to Vierzon & to Clermont-Ferrand. Then on to A75 all way down to near Beziers (there is a toll to cross Millau bridge but that's all )then down the A9 all way to French border. Then A7/E15 to Barcelona. Although personally I would use the toll road A7/E15 for the shortish distance to Barca
My choice too...(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why would anyone in a motorhome with the ability to heat hot water and fridge, eat in a motorway service station? McDonalds France is the biggest franchise outside the USA.

I'm quite happy to use motorway services outside the UK. We've stopped for lunch at various places in a few countries and never had any complaints. I agree with you about UK services though.

Wouldn't know about McDonalds. I'd rather not eat at all than eat there (y)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

However, when you pull onto a service area in France or Spain you can find space to park.

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Gus-lopez nailed it for you. Good selection of places to stay, if you are not in a rush. I did this trip in March, and bear in mind that in Spain all motorways are Tolls, sometimes worth using. Millau Viaduct worth the money for the view, but see if you can pop into the village as the view is something else.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I'm quite happy to use motorway services outside the UK. We've stopped for lunch at various places in a few countries and never had any complaints. I agree with you about UK services though.

Wouldn't know about McDonalds. I'd rather not eat at all than eat there (y)
The McDonald's fact is more about the state of France and its attitudes to food which are going down while ours are going up. The standard of British motorway stops is definitely improving indeed I was with my brother last week and we stopped in two different M6/M74 service stations both of which were well designed around nature, clean, with good food, a wide selection and a good stock of fresh local produce. France used to be a brilliant place to eat but now - supermarkets have franchised out their previously in-house restaurants (the memory of having a steak hache cooked bleu) - something McD's does better than the French ; the working hours directive stops chefs functioning (35 hr per week - my son is a chef and works at least 48hr); les routiers cafes appear to be disappearing; 85% of French restaurants buy meals in (presumably puds but that is still a high %). France, to me is living off its reputation.

nidge

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

Obviousl not stopped at Strensham Services then!! Dry cob, no butter and 1 burnt sausage.

Nidge

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs

That makes a good services? The best service in the world, Tebay West, has none of that crap.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp

Slightly off topic but why do they all open at different times in the morning ?

However, when you pull onto a service area in France or Spain you can find space to park.
& normally stay as long as you want.

The ones with 'plastic chairs' ???? :oops:
Are we talking about the roundabout girls ? Have they moved up market ?:D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
upload_2017-5-25_22-45-51.png

Are we talking about the roundabout girls ? Have they moved up market ?:D2
Roundabout girls ... as in roundabouts anywhere! :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back