Route through to Spain with the least hills and tunnels. (1 Viewer)

stevegreen

Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
We are getting ever closer to departing the UK and heading over to Calais to begin our slow meander down into Spain.

I am starting to get concerned about the temperatures that we will be getting and thinking about changing the original plan which was to slowly make our way through France, and then head either through Portugal south or through Spain south, thinking now that we maybe need to move a bit more quickly through these countries to get where it is warmer, quicker.

The mountain areas concern me as I don't have the right tyres or snow chains and I really want to avoid the extremes in temperatures and the snow.

So, what would be the best route to take, avoiding tolls and where possible tunnels (long ones.........SWMBO doesn't like tunnels at all)

I'm sure there is masses of experience here, so what route do you take and why?

lavieyuca

Free Member
Jul 22, 2009
North of Spain
Funster No
Exp
Hello, I'm from the north of Spain. Where do you want to go in Spain?.

I would go into Spain through Irun, San Sebastian. If you travel by A-10 motorway in France, I think you don´t have to pass so many hills or tunnels.

When you'll arrive, you can overnight at San Sebastian, at the motorhomes area or you can go to Camping Zarautz open all year and you can pay it with Camping cheque (only 14 euros per night)

Today, we are in alert because of the low temperatures and the snow.

Excuse my poor English:Blush::Blush::Blush:, and if you need anything else, ask me.

Yolanda :Smile::Smile::Smile:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
not really the time of year for slowly meandering south....just to cold IMO. I have not done this route in winter but from what I have read the favourite route is west coast of France then Pamalona and Zaragoza and onward down to Alicante. do not be expecting summer weather, 10 deg C more at best and cold evenings and unpredictable rain fall....But should be better then here!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi stevegreen

Like you I always wanted to do a slow meander down south. I did it the first year when I was tailend charlie in a 3 MH convoy. We took 6 days.

Now I just get south from Calais as fast as I can. Usually 2 days.

I cross at night and just drive until tired stopping just to let the dog uncross her legs, eat, drink or sleep. I set the satnav to avoid toll roads and first target is to get past Rouen. I go through Rouen at night.

I use a short section of toll motorway to cross into Spain near San Sebastien and then it's up, up and away onto the high plateau down past Burgos, Valladolid & Salamanca. When I come down from the plateau, at Banos de Montemayor, the rise in temperature is wonderful and then I take things slower & have more & longer breaks.

I cross the border into Portugal between Badajoz ( fill up with diesel just before the border ) and Elvas. Spend the night at an Aire de Service at Terragem about 10k past Elvas.

Then it depends on the weather how long I take to get to the eastern Algarve. If it's grotty I go straight there but if not it's the back roads & villages for a week or so.

Have done the return trip 4 times and out of the 8 journeys I have had snow problems twice. I tend to use the toll roads in the snow.

I take a lot longer through France coming back though.

Roll on February

Have a good trip.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi!

I would use motorway when crossing the border France/Spain. Forecast says SNOW for the coming week up to Sunday at least, and you should not expect anything else but bad weather from now on, so better follow the funsters's advices and run (well keep safe!) through France!
You'll have probably plenty of time to wander about on your way back!

Enjoy your travel! Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

sugarplum

Free Member
Feb 4, 2008
Hallow, Worcs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 yrs
Hi smiffee

Great post.... we follow your route down to Merida.........{we are going to Albufeira first of all}... then carry on down to Seville and then cross to Huelva and then on to Faro??

We did this before, but wondered what you thought?

Yes, we do fill up with diesel before leaving Spain.

Leaving on sun 20 Dec ... Plymouth to Santander....

Alice and George

Last edited:

sugarplum

Free Member
Feb 4, 2008
Hallow, Worcs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 yrs
smifee

just wondered... do you have fav campsites or aires on this route through spain to portugal?

we had some shit ones before except Hotel Regio in Merida....

cheers
george

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We are not going until the end of Jan but will go the same way we went last year, we do use motorways however in Winter and therefore pay for tolls.

We will travel down the West of France staying at a site in Bordeaux, then onto Spain heading for Burgos and another site. From Burgos it will be through or rather around Madrid staying at Camping International at Aranjuez. The last leg is is down the A3 and A31 to Murcia.
There are no tunnels involved although there may be snow but by staying on Motorways it should not be a problem. Certainly last year we past snowploughs every few miles parked up ready to get working if required.

Mike

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Please correct me if I am wrong (and I am sure you will) but snow chains are compulsory in France. Jane

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
"Snow chains [FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]must be fitted to vehicles using snow-covered roads in compliance with the relevant road sign." :winky:

[/FONT][/FONT]

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi smiffee

Great post.... we follow your route down to Merida.........{we are going to Albufeira first of all}... then carry on down to Seville and then cross to Huelva and then on to Faro??

We did this before, but wondered what you thought?

Yes, we do fill up with diesel before leaving Spain.

Leaving on sun 20 Dec ... Plymouth to Santander....

Alice and George

I'm a bit confused about your route, from Albufeira you have to go East passing Faro, Huelva to get to Sevilla?

To get to Huelva from Sevilla you would have to double back west on the same road you came east on?

Down is by convention south but you will be moving East?

Doug...

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:RollEyes: We have done the entry from France into Spain from both ends of the Pyrenees. In November through to January. We have had snow from San Sebastion on the Motorway climb out on the road to Pamplona and back again. Also from Le Boulou to La Junquera both ways. No problems. Just takes care and confidence.
BTW. We have done it in a small Motorhome, a Ford Transit Autohomes Frontier and our 1988 Coachmen Classic 34ft RV.

ANDORA.jpg

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I'm a bit confused about your route, from Albufeira you have to go East passing Faro, Huelva to get to Sevilla?

To get to Huelva from Sevilla you would have to double back west on the same road you came east on?

Down is by convention south but you will be moving East?

Doug...

Perhaps he is working back to front Doug. :roflmto::ROFLMAO:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Just get the ferry to Spain!!! :Eeek:

Guaranteed no hills and it can snow all it likes!!!! :thumb::ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Please correct me if I am wrong (and I am sure you will) but snow chains are compulsory in France. Jane

No jane , chains are not compulsary on french roads.

Now if you go to mountains areas and you find these signs : "chaines obligatoires" or "équipement obligatoire" then you'll have to put them.
If you don't , and you get caught by the police then you'll be stopped and not allowed to go any further or back until the snow has gone.:whatthe:

Hope that helps!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::winky:

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Sugarplum

I hardly ever use campsites but do use aires or France Passion sites on the way home when it's warmer.

On the way south I stop at any convenient spot near to where I feel tired. It can be a layby or service area. Yes even on the motorways.:Eeek: If I'm not happy about a place I'm considering stopping at I just move on.

My van has several 'security measures' including a dual purpose everlasting hot water bottle and audible alarm. Commonly called a cocker spaniel.:roflmto:

I get details of Aires in Spain & Portugal from the campingcarinfos website but have only used 2 so far. Portugal at Terragem and Spain at Omeido ( I think that's the right speeling )

After about 3 weeks away I get 'roast dinner withdrawl' and drift towards Albufeira for a Sunday Roast at the Barracuda Bar.

Can't get away until February as a last minute pet sitting job has come up and have to be back for Easter when my pet sitting season starts.

No one told me it would be this strenuous when I 'retired'.:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back