Route South to Portugal? (1 Viewer)

Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
I'm hoping to be heading south in January and - as you do! - am spending hours reading blogs and looking at maps. First time going this far south.
I was wondering if it would be a really bad idea to turn West at the French/Spanish border, go along the top and then turn South down along the Portuguese Atlantic coast? It adds extra distance versus just heading straight south through Spain to the coast and then west to the Algarve.
There's no knowing at the moment what the weather will be like of course, but just as a general idea does anyone have any opinions, advice or suggestions for me on this?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Are you wanting to race south to get to the sun, all day English brekkies and Irish Pubs?

If not in a hurry, and you want to explore Portugal, I understand the west coast routes are very scenic.

The Atlantic coast can be pretty and pretty wild.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
It's a good few years since I drove along thetop of Spain not a fast road but spectacular in places. It all depends on how fast you want to make it. We currently go Burgos _ Salamanca _ Caceres _ Badajoz _ Evora _ Albufeira. About 12 hours driving but we take 3days.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you are going to come down the west coast, Porto is well worth a visit. Very touristy, but you can get a good deal on a Port tour if you shop around, and the scenery is spectacular. The fisherman on the Duoro are amusing, if optimistic! :D

OP
OP
X
Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
Are you wanting to race south to get to the sun, all day English brekkies and Irish Pubs?

JJ :cool:

No just want somewhere warmer than Scotland and plan to take our time going south. Would only do long drives in a day if the weather was so bad that it didn't make sense to stay put on a transit site or aire.

OP
OP
X
Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
It's a good few years since I drove along thetop of Spain not a fast road but spectacular in places. It all depends on how fast you want to make it. We currently go Burgos _ Salamanca _ Caceres _ Badajoz _ Evora _ Albufeira. About 12 hours driving but we take 3days.
That's about the kind of speed I'd go - maybe taking even longer if the stops were nice and the weather kind. Where do you overnight on that run?

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hello xtab. I took this route last year and loved it. I missed out the very top north west of Spain as I u deratood it to be very hilly and my old van and hills don't get on so well. Out of season the police turn a blind eye to most wild camping and I was able to stay on some amazing beaches along the way. I did the trip in December and the weather was superb, as you said, you'd need to check the forecast for January. Some of those exposed coasts might be a bit challenging in the cold when it's blowing a hoolie!

Whatever you decide - enjoy!

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Maxi77 is right thats a nice route when its warmer going back home, it can get cold and windy in Jan.
Bill

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
That's about the kind of speed I'd go - maybe taking even longer if the stops were nice and the weather kind. Where do you overnight on that run?
There is a good campsite in Burgos Camping Fuentes Blancas and in Caceres Camping Caceres which is beside the football stadium, and each pitch has it's own en-suite. There is also an aire in central Caceres but we have never got there to find a space early enough.

OP
OP
X
Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
(When you get tired of my non-stop questions, don't hesitate to tell me to shut it! :) )

Google maps shows three alternatives to Burgos. Do you use the AP1 AP8 route or one of the longer ones?

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Interesting thread, we are also travelling to the Algarve area to join several C CC rallies but taking ferry to Bilbao in January.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
For any of you who are not aware, or newish to Motorhoming. I would recommend you purchase the full Campercontact download version (around £6.00). This can be used off line and list loads of stopping options from Campsites - Aires - Service areas - wild camping spots. A filter can be applied to the cost so you can search for free places, places under 10€ etc. and all places have reviews from fellow motorhomers which are translated into English. A brilliant package IMO.
http://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're heading south too at about the same time. The first time we did it we planned northern Spain then south through Portugal but the weather turned against us so, with our objective somewhere dry and warm, we headed straight for the Algarve by the quickest route, involving a lot of Spain before ducking into Portugal. Although I've got a route planned for this trip, it will depend very much on the weather - we like to just amble along but don't like cold and wet. Oh and we don't use toll roads unless we have to, planning our days drive on where the next aire will be when we're ready to stop. (NB, at that time of year many French aires will technically be closed but you can usually still park up, although there won't be any facilities.)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
(When you get tired of my non-stop questions, don't hesitate to tell me to shut it! :) )

Google maps shows three alternatives to Burgos. Do you use the AP1 AP8 route or one of the longer ones?
We are usually heading from or to Bilbao and us the pay motorway past Vitoria, the only time we came down through France we took the fastest. Remember you will be climbing to over 1000 metres on the route and snow in Northern Spain is common,but their snow plow systen is first class

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Our chosen route starting from Santander or Bilbao in easy stages involves 3 overnight stops before reaching the Algarve on day 4

Day 1 - to Camping El Estral in Tordesillas - good site, open all year - 170 miles from Santander Mway all the way no tolls or 190 miles from Bilbao Mway all way with tolls

Day 2 - Tordesillas to Camping Caceres open all year very good site 180 miles Mway all the way no tolls

Day 3 - Caceres to Orbitur Camping Evora open all year reasonably good site 120 miles Mway most of the way some tolls

Day 4 - Evora to Camping Alvor in the heart of the Algarve - very good site in nice town open all year 145 miles Mway most of way with tolls

Alternatively we sometimes miss out Evora and on day 3 go from Caceres directly to Tavira in the Algarve 266 miles staying on the Spanish Mway system (toll free) down past Seville then into Portugal Mway with tolls

OP
OP
X
Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks Steveboy. The OH's reaction as soon as she saw your post was "Now that's the way to do it!".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back