Route Salzburg to Ljubljana (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
We are planning our trip for next year and are thinking of Germany to Slovenia and then Italy, the route I was looking at would take us from Germany (around the Munich area) towards Salzburg in Austria and then on to Ljubljana in Slovenia (A10 Austria / A2 Slovenia).

Can anyone see any problems with this route or got any advice on it?

Ralph

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Hi Ralph

Sounds exciting - just bumping this thread for you :winky:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Ralph
there is some nice camp sites at Cheimsee on the lake mid way between Munich and Saltzburg on the E11 autobahn very popular with Germans however Saltzburg is well worth a look at.
From Saltzburg if you continue on the A10 it will take you through the Tauern tunnel for which you must pay but it take you through the most beautiful scenery ever down to Villach with camping at Millstater lake from Villach you can drive to Klagenfurt and take the e10 thru the Loibl pass bit mountainess to lubliana

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Brambles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2007
Tayside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Ralph,
My suggestion south of Saltzburg is start of on the A10/E55 and come off at Werfen onto the 159. Half way between Pfarwerfen and Bischofshofen there is a lovely friendly campsite by the river (Camping Vierthaler). From there you can travel short distances to many attractions such as the Eisriesenwelt, Liechtensteinklamm. If you do stay their, say you know Richard's Dad from Scotland - Maria the owner will know exactly who you you mean. Small pavillion type bar onsite with basic food like pizza, and good restaurant very nearby.

Moving south, I suggest not the Tauerntunnel, whch admittedly is a wonderful drive and great to say you have driven through the tunnel, but a great route is the 157 to Bad Gastein and go through the Taurrnbahntunnel which is a rail car train. It takes Motorhomes and is 17 euro or 12 if booked ahead or ADAC members. It slowly takes you through the mountain and is a great experience. The views at both sides of mountain are spectacularly beautiful especially to south. It is good because it is not the route everyone takes so is a bit different.
Head back on to Villach route and head into Slovenia at Jesenice.
Might be worth considering heading west there on a little return trip to Kranjsa Gora - beautiful mountains and Natioal park area, but expect campsites along that way to be very busy and crowded but acceptable.
I was not a lover of Ljubljana, not really a city person and apart from soe historic areas and buidings in centre it is just a sprawling typical industrial city, so we headed north after visiting and found Kamnik. A lovely historic town, with small basic cheap campsite a short walk from the town on the outskirts next to the swimmingpool.
Just suggestions,
Jon.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Thanks for the suggestions Tony and Jon, the train sounds very interesting (never seen it mentioned before). I was not actually planning on visiting Ljubljana, just heading in that direction, would probably stop at lake Bled or lake Bohinj and later head for Croatia's Istrian coast before heading to Italy.

Ralph

PS

Can not find any info on the train on the net.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
but a great route is the 157 to Bad Gastein and go through the Taurrnbahntunnel which is a rail car train. It takes Motorhomes and is 17 euro or 12 if booked ahead or ADAC members. It slowly takes you through the mountain and is a great experience. Jon.

Unfortunately this train no longer takes Motorhomes, this is a reply to an enquiry I made to them.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to transport a campingcar whith the ÖBB car trains.

Kind regards,
Adelina Kura

There is also more info on there website

Link Removed

Ralph

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries