Free Member
Sep 5, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E495
Exp
Hi, total beginner here i am afraid !
Pick our new motorhome up in a few weeks and starting to think about where to go and how. Its a 6 berth and rather long so i was wondering how people plan their routes ? I clearly dont want to get stuck in a little village or under a low bridge
How do you plan your routes and are there any Motorhome specific Sat Navs or Phone Apps ?
Many thanks
Duff

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A regular sat nav works fine
Look out for road signs warning of low bridges and narrow streets and you'll be fine.
We've used ours all over Europe without issue in a 7.6m van
If you approach a road that looks tight, simply stop, zoom out on your sat nav screen, pick another street and carry on.
Camper specific sat navs only cover major routes so are not totally reliable.
Enjoy your travels

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I'm a beginner but also an HGV driver so very little worries me regarding where I can drive. Just remember if the bus or the bin lorry can go there, you should have no trouble.

That's a thing we always look out for,if bins are out you can get through
No problems.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Most Sat Navs can be programmed for a particular size of vehicle, hubby uses CoPilot app on his phone & it's more reliably than our SatNav!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Look out for bins, but also keep a keen eye out for large tankers. :)

In France the Michelin atlas is useful as it shows bridge heights.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm assuming the new M/H is your first? Well don't worry too much about the size, it's amazing how quickly you'll get used to it; just don't forget that there are two of you (I presume again) and if you're in doubt, stop and one of you get out and have a proper look.

Don't rely too much on a satnav either; despite driving hundreds of thousands of miles I've only ever got stuck following the satnav rather than my own common sense!

You're about to embark on probably the second best adventure of your lives so take your time and ENJOY!

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We do have a camper specific sat nav now, but managed perfectly well for many years using a regular one. When the sat nav directs you to do something (camper specific or not) it's up to you whether or not you actually do it!
The road signs will direct you, and you'll see things like a sign saying 'Avoiding low bridge' directions etc. you just have to be more aware of the signs.
As for route planning, it's good to have a plan, so you know what it is you're ignoring :D

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have Copilot truck on my phone and tablet which lets you put in the vehicles dimensions, rarely lets me down but isn't totally infallible. Plenty of apps for campsites such as ACSI, Archies, Park4night, Motorhome Parkings etc. Also ViaMichelin app can be handy. If you have a Windows laptop then Autoroute 2013 is very good and its a good way of remembering where you have been on your travels as you can create maps i.e. war sites, hiking campsites. It was discontinued in 2013 but I managed to buy a copy online.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Duff

Free Member
Sep 5, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E495
Exp
Thanks all, some good advice - best one being the beer in the fridge !
Yes this is our first motorhome, cant wait to get started
Thanks again
Duff

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you cant reverse for at least a mile then you arent capable of driving the vehicle at all.
i really dont know why it isnt in the driving test.
vote for me and it could be . ha ha .

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN and try not to worry too much, as others have said you'll soon get use to the size and forward planning is the key. (y)

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Hi and welcome to FUN and try not to worry too much, as others have said you'll soon get use to the size and forward planning is the key. (y)
but rearward planning is equally important in some cases .
just stay off toll roads , motorways and avoid dual carriageways . eyes open look for height limits .
go slow enjoy the journey .

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Try not to worry. We had our first trip last year and I was a 'worry bucket'
We planned every mile and every stop through France and it spoiled the first 3 days! Then we relaxed and enjoyed it. Like someone else said, if it's a bus route or wheeli bins are on the street chances are it's ok.
Just be careful with French and Spanish villages. Park up and check on foot if you are worried. Most of all enjoy!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back