Route from rhyl to scarfell pike please (1 Viewer)

MollyMooMoo

Free Member
Aug 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducatto
Exp
Brand new
Hi all, new to this game.
We have our first motorhome and would like to find a route from rhyl to scarfell pike that our 30 year old 2.5 non turbo diesel can handle, also to get close enough to scarfell to manage the climb up and down and settle back in her for the night, any suggestions would be most welcome.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Would you not just go A55, M56, M6 to Cumbria then find a site near Scafell ?
If you go on google maps and type in scafell campsites it will show you those nearby.
don't forget your compass 👍🏻

OP
OP
M

MollyMooMoo

Free Member
Aug 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducatto
Exp
Brand new
Thanks Figaro, seems the most straightforward route, will give that a go, just want to avoid tiny country roads if at all possible👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The nearest campsite is at Wasdale Head an is run by the NT. You can walk to Scafell from the site.

You would want to check if it is open and most importantly if they have a space for you if you were thinking of going this month. :)

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
There is a slightly different way that brings to to scarfell from the other side via wastwater.
Turn off m6 onto a590 towards Grange over sands. Then a595 towards seascale then from Drigg follow signs to wastwater.

OP
OP
M

MollyMooMoo

Free Member
Aug 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducatto
Exp
Brand new
Thanks DBK, getting there now, but can i get to this without taking the dreaded hardknot pass??

OP
OP
M

MollyMooMoo

Free Member
Aug 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducatto
Exp
Brand new
Cheers Robby, would you say this is the better motorhome route?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks DBK, getting there now, but can i get to this without taking the dreaded hardknot pass??
You don't need to go into the Lakes, I would just skirt around the southern edge and then up the coast and strike in towards Wastwater from somewhere near Drigg.

Edit What RobbyMClark suggested.

When I lived in Carlisle we often visited this area and coming from the north we came the coastal route via Cockermouth. Crossing the Lakes is best avoided. :)

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
Scafell Pike is not my favourite walk. It is uncomfortable at the top and navigation can be difficult particularly if weather conditions are poor. Unless you are really keen to do it I would do another. We stopped at Seathwaite Farm camping which was good.

OP
OP
M

MollyMooMoo

Free Member
Aug 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducatto
Exp
Brand new
We are strictly beginners, its me and the 12 yr old daughter, we have managed snowdon and ben nevis, and wish to complete the 3 peaks (just taken a year instead of a weekend😊) so looking for most straightforward route and where we can set up in motorhome.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
M6, A590, A5092, A595 to Ravenglass.

Stay at Ravenglass C&CC site. 200 yards walk to Laal Ratty...

Narrow gauge railway up to Boot.

Climb Scafell Pike.

Reactions: DBK
Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
We are strictly beginners, its me and the 12 yr old daughter, we have managed snowdon and ben nevis, and wish to complete the 3 peaks (just taken a year instead of a weekend😊) so looking for most straightforward route and where we can set up in motorhome.
I didn't enjoy the walk. The main routes up Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa) and Ben Nevis are very straightforward. Scafell Pike less so.

Good luck if you do it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back