Route from Millau going North (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2015
Looking for some ideas of stopovers on way back to Caen from Millau?

A few overnight Campsite stops near towns or sights worth seeing. Not in a rush got 3 nights after Millau.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
There is a small aire very convenient to the A75 motorway - less than 5 minutes off a junction - I think about 20 or 25 miles north of Millau.

http://tinyurl.com/ycd5sunx

Not especially picturesque or special, but perfectly OK. Only about 5 or 6 spaces and a bourne, by the railway station. It was perfectly quiet overnight.

We were travelling late and arrived there at about 8pm - one space left - phew! But is was close enough to the autoroute that had it been full or unsuitable, we would have just carried on to find somewhere else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Will watch this with interest as we are doing reverse journey i.e. Caen to Millau in a months time. On way down to S Spain for winter. One plan is to go via Limoges and call in at Parc Verger for a couple of nights but like you looking for ideas.

OP
OP
Teddy B
May 16, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2015
Will watch this with interest as we are doing reverse journey i.e. Caen to Millau in a months time. On way down to S Spain for winter. One plan is to go via Limoges and call in at Parc Verger for a couple of nights but like you looking for ideas.

OP
OP
Teddy B
May 16, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2015
Is Parc Verger worth going to? It's not an Acsi site is it?

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Never been but read a lot of good comments about it on here so thought we would take a look. Looks good on website too. Plan is to stop a couple or so nights there to break journey and regroup especially if had a couple of nights on Aires. We came back last year by way of Twin Lakes to check that out, lovely place but not on your or our route this time.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We'll be heading back that way in November for the British winter(y) the French sites will be closed so that leaves the Aires. There's a couple we use marked on our atlas where you can get water and empty the toilet. But there are thousands in the apps "Park4Night" and "Camping car infos" with details of facilities, photos and navigation just a touch screen touch away... And best of all they're FREE! :love:

General note to everyone: If your the sort of luddite (no offence;)) that just has a Nokia mobile telephone in the glove box in case you breakdown, try and have an open mind and spend 100 quid on a smartphone, it will be the best 100 quid you've ever spent :)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
We'll be heading back that way in November for the British winter(y) the French sites will be closed so that leaves the Aires. There's a couple we use marked on our atlas where you can get water and empty the toilet. But there are thousands in the apps "Park4Night" and "Camping car infos" with details of facilities, photos and navigation just a touch screen touch away... And best of all they're FREE! :love:
Which route do you take, do you go via Clemont Ferrand? I have Park4night & Camper Contact. Will have to have a look for Camping Car infos.
I am hoping to find Aires along the route (still to be finalised) and then have a search for sites which may just be open in October, a fewer until the end of October I think (hope!)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Y
Which route do you take, do you go via Clemont Ferrand? I have Park4night & Camper Contact. Will have to have a look for Camping Car infos.
I am hoping to find Aires along the route (still to be finalised) and then have a search for sites which may just be open in October, a fewer until the end of October I think (hope!)
Yes Clermont-Ferrand, Orleans, chartres dreux. Great free route with long straight roads. If you only do 60mph anyway it's not much slower than the toll roads.
The aire at La Ferte St Aubin you can empty the toilet at but we stopped going as the new solar panel doesn't get on well with the trees. There's one 20km south called Nouan fusilier we stop at now.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The other nice one with water and toilet emptying is La Canourgue. It's only a small village, as you drive through you pass the fire station on the right and the Aire is 100m past it on the right. It gets quite full that time of year but we got in fine even though it was getting dark, there must be about 20 spaces.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Bourges is tidy and the aire is free, pretty much in the centre too.
10 mins or so off the A71

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
@BDW hope Ive not highjacked your thread but presume all these replies are relevant to both of us. I am looking forward to getting my map out at weekend to find some of these places.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Another vote for La Canourgue, do make sure you walk round the old village, a few hundred metres further on past the Aire. Lovely old buildings with water rushing everywhere, even under houses.

Further north just off the wonderful A75 is Le Malzieu-Ville. Loveingly restored walled town.
Massiac is a pleasant town with a free aire but just a few km north is Blesle. A gem of an old village with a small aire ( no services but free).

Leaving the A75 (now the A71) at Clermont Ferrand take the D2009 north to Moulins, join the N7 towards Nevers but turn west onto the D2076 to Sancoins.
A lovely peaceful and free Aire beside the old Canal du Berry.

From Sancoins head north west to Bourges, then north to Salbris and the D2020 which has a number of aires before crossing the Loire at Orleans.

Plenty there to keep you out of mischief for a few days.

Richard.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Another vote for La Canourgue. Nice little village with a few shops/restaurants as well as a takeaway.
Issoire j12 has a large Carrefour for supplies and cheap fuel.
Chartres town centre was a shambles last month, with diversions and really bone jarring roads so go round the ring road even if your Sat Nav tries to take you through the centre.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Up from park verger and in my opinion a better location is the old municipal camp site of saint Laurent Sur Gore (free) near a lake with good walks ,free WiFi at the TIO and a pretty little village within easy walking distance and if you like strawberry tarts to die for there are two cake shops and a s/market .
Free waste dump (campercontact
N45,76528 E0,95639) plenty others along your route

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Site open all year just off A75 at Lodeve 20 miles south of Millau,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back