Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Is it my imagination or are there more roundabouts being built on French roads? Must be a safety measure.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
And another thing ........ why are "Give Way" signs labelled "Cedez le passage" and stop signs are "Stop" and not "Arrêtez"???o_O

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well, Stop signs in Spain say Halt, so why on earth shouldn't the French ones be different too?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The first time we went to France there was less than ½ dozen roundabouts in the whole country and they were very interesting with the give way to the right as traffic entering the roundabout had priority over traffic already on it. You needed a good supply of brown trousers.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Yep Lenny ,I remember those days as well, bit different now eh.
In the middle of rural France, junction of three lanes with all the road furniture warning signs for this roundabout............and no traffic !
833DA91B-5CCE-4078-9A8F-070D03EA60CF.png

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I recently saw a brand new massive roundabout in the middle of nowhere. No traffic. Must've cost a lot to build. A normal crossroad junction would have been fine. After spending all of June in France I can still hear the sat nav "at the roundabout take the second exit" all the flipping time in my head!!!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The French have had to scrap their Eco-Tax system for lorries ( Overhead Gantries on main routes ) so its probably to make life more difficult for them and get them to use the Peage instead. Some of the town we passed through this year have got notices banning lorries unless delivering.

Unlike the Uk the French have not realised that you can also put traffic lights on roundabouts as well.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
We made the same comment the other day. They seem to prefer a roundabout than a t junction. I could understand it if there was a traffic flowing issue but I have yet to encounter much traffic unless you are on a ring road of a major town.

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
If you believe the hype it is all about road safety in that when approaching roundabouts all vehicles have to slow down enough to cede if traffic dictates. At cross roads or T junctions only the drivers on the minor routes have to slow down or stop. The main traffic goes straight through.

If you are cynical you might be forgiven for thinking that there is a master plan to reduce the amount of vehicles on the roads by generally pi**ing drivers off in making journey times longer and / or forcing more drivers to use toll roads.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
I simply adore the thought and imagination that goes into the design and layout of so many of the French roundabouts.
They add even greater interest to the journey through what is a beautiful country and are often a gateway to villages and towns that possess something this country has been losing for many years now - civic pride.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
another thing they are doing is digging all the old cobbled streets up and putting those white 3x3 uniform blocks down in their place all over , making every village look the same(n) even the french people who live there dont understand it, just seems they have to keep finding things to do to keep all the council workers busy. and while we are at it , what about all the speed bumps, there seems to be new ones every day.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
In my limited experience French drivers (especially the women) have priority from every possible direction. Road signs are for tourists.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Well, Stop signs in Spain say Halt, so why on earth shouldn't the French ones be different too?
Never seen any saying'halt'?
All ours say Stop .

If you are cynical you might be forgiven for thinking that there is a master plan to reduce the amount of vehicles on the roads by generally pi**ing drivers off in making journey times longer and / or forcing more drivers to use toll roads.

A bit like the UK then?

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
And another thing ........ why are "Give Way" signs labelled "Cedez le passage" and stop signs are "Stop" and not "Arrêtez"???o_O
Maybe it’s to look after all those thousands of aging British Motorhomers that swarm all over their country.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
There used to be a rumour that roundabouts were breeding in Devizes they have so many of them, they even have them in some of the car parks. Apparently they exported one to Swindon, followed by a wand and now they have "The Magic Roundabout".

With the success of that I wonder if they are now exporting to France?

Dave

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
There used to be a rumour that roundabouts were breeding in Devizes they have so many of them, they even have them in some of the car parks. Apparently they exported one to Swindon, followed by a wand and now they have "The Magic Roundabout".

With the success of that I wonder if they are now exporting to France?

Dave
‘Round about’ two dozen here in Shrewsbury, Dave. :D

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002

I think they've achieved this at a stroke by reducing the speed limit to 80kph....:whistle:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I think they've achieved this at a stroke by reducing the speed limit to 80kph....:whistle:
The French, as usual, are taking no notice of the change of speed limit .... not that many of them took any notice of the 90kph either. It is only when there are cameras or cars coming the other way that they slow to the prescribed speed. They cut corners and exceed speed limits as a matter of course, my friend told me tuther day that he drives at 120kph on the country roads near us ... cos he can ... and cos he's a good driver!!!!!

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695

That and the Crit' Air and the new MOT / CT and banning HGVs from an increasing number of D roads.....................

The French, as usual, are taking no notice of the change of speed limit .... not that many of them took any notice of the 90kph either. It is only when there are cameras or cars coming the other way that they slow to the prescribed speed. They cut corners and exceed speed limits as a matter of course, my friend told me tuther day that he drives at 120kph on the country roads near us ... cos he can ... and cos he's a good driver!!!!!

Strange because out where I live and work I did not encounter much speeding in the 90 Kph zones, but regularly experienced it in the 50 Kph and 30 Kph zones. They haven't embraced the new 80 Kph limits though :D

The other day I followed a car doing 50 Kph in a 80 Kph zone for 10Kms. I couldn't get past him or her because they were hogging the middle of the road. The only time the car went above 50 Kph was through a village in a 50 Kph zone o_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back