Rouen (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Does anybody happen to know the road number to avoid in Rouen to save being caught out by the low height underpass(es?)? :eek: Going over in that direction in July towards the coast & don't want to end up having to reverse out!!!! Thanks.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I can't remember, but it is a spur off the main road, so keeping to the main road regardless of road signs is safe, then crossing the bridge at next lights. Better still, avoiding Rouen altogether

(Yes, it caught us out in a rental van)

Last edited:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I got caught out and had to drive over a concrete curb to avoid going down to the tunnel.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Post number 7 on this thread has useful directions which I have copied below

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/any-help-on-route-thro-france.146200/#post-2198125

Posted by @suavecarve
Over many years we have not found a sensible alternative to bypass Rouen. The motorway becomes Dual carriageway at the city's edge and drops down through a tunnel. Exit this in the inside lane and in 1.5km take the 3rd exit signed to Vernon. The slip road ends in traffic lights - go in the centre lane to turn left across a dual carriageway. You should now be in the right hand lane for the next set of lights. Go straight on then bear right onto the D6015 signed for Vernon. In a little while the Seine appears on your right and you are clear of the City.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The low underpasses run parallel to the river and are clearly marked with height restriction signs. There are lanes to either side of them that continue at ground level and allow you to keep going in that general direction. Just be mindful of this if using a Satnav as you may need to override your orders.

If you're driving through Rouen in a roughly SW/NE direction a SatNav won't normally take you anywhere near the underpasses.

They loom large in the MH owner's Demonology, but in reality they're perfectly avoidable with common sense, like any other height restricted route or bridge.

You can see one of the little buggers here in Google Streetview.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
You want to try delivering to an address in Rouen with an arctic with a 40ft trailer! Not funny. All I can say to you is keep your eyes peeled, know your MoHo dimensions, and relax.

Craig

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I thought that it was a tunnel under the River that they were on about not that stupid little underpass. You have to make a conscious move to get into it or does the goodly TOM-TOM direct you there. At least I can see it and if I ever go there to help avoid it. If it was the UK they would have a camera and book you as well as crunch your roof.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Why is it when I think I'm just about getting over that Tuesday morning, 10 years ago, when I was... (sorry need to stop to compose myself)... diverted and found myself going straight for an underpass, somebody has to bring the subject up again.
I can remember the blind panic as I had to stop in traffic, more therapy needed.

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Post number 7 on this thread has useful directions which I have copied below

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/any-help-on-route-thro-france.146200/#post-2198125

Posted by @suavecarve
Over many years we have not found a sensible alternative to bypass Rouen. The motorway becomes Dual carriageway at the city's edge and drops down through a tunnel. Exit this in the inside lane and in 1.5km take the 3rd exit signed to Vernon. The slip road ends in traffic lights - go in the centre lane to turn left across a dual carriageway. You should now be in the right hand lane for the next set of lights. Go straight on then bear right onto the D6015 signed for Vernon. In a little while the Seine appears on your right and you are clear of the City.

Have used this route for the last 5 years even after the bridge was reopened after the fire. The only thing I can add is the Vernon exit is on a slight bend so it comes up quite quickly.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My choices are now program in either Pont de l'Arche or la Maiileraye which we use as overnights stops, probably more inclined to La Mailleraye to stop these days, but Pont de L'Arche aire makes a great lunch stop, both completely remove the risk :)(y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have been through Rouen tunnels once in a VW high top. We read the height restriction and sort of knew ok, but the tunnel got lower as we went on. Got through it ok but not an experience I would want to repeat.
Following friends in 2 other campers so I must admit following a bit blindly. Not using sat nav or mobile phones then so difficult to meet up if we lost each other.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Does anybody happen to know the road number to avoid in Rouen to save being caught out by the low height underpass(es?)? :eek: Going over in that direction in July towards the coast & don't want to end up having to reverse out!!!! Thanks.
just stick to the right hand lanes, you will be fine, we go through Rouen a lot.

Reactions: JJ
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Why is it when I think I'm just about getting over that Tuesday morning, 10 years ago, when I was... (sorry need to stop to compose myself)... diverted and found myself going straight for an underpass, somebody has to bring the subject up again.
I can remember the blind panic as I had to stop in traffic, more therapy needed.

Ditto.....Well almost. Still having nightmares. :cry:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We've been through Rouen numerous times and never seen the underpass. Saying that, we're at Broglie atm and going through Rouen tomorrow !

Chances are ...!!!!
Funny that after driving around and through Rouen for over 30 years only came across the underpasses for the first time last year. How anyone could go down them by mistake is beyond me, you would have to make a conscious effort to get into them and the height is clearly marked.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Happened to us twice in the same journey through the place, first one we managed to sneak out after the dome got clattered with the warning dangler thingies, second one we avoided by going up a bus only route for 200m much to the bemusement of the locals at the bus stop.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Rouen is easy if you follow the instructions from@riverbankannie. I do it twice a year and it holds no terrors for me.

Coming north ignore any sat nav instructions to turn off at Junction 22, that takes you through the middle of the city, carry on for a couple of miles and take exit 22, keep going and you will come to an island with plastic cows, straight over and keep going,fork right when you come to the bridge ramp (signed to Calais) right at the top of the bridge, cathedral spire on your left and then follow the road to the Tunnel de Grand Mare, through that and you are in clover.(y)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Agree with Riverbank Annie....
Follow A28 into Rouen through long tunnel. Once clear of tunnel keep in right hand lane until you see overhead gantries sign for Vernon & Evreux....

Rouen01.jpg

This takes you through an underpass and bears round to the left as you approach some Traffic Lights. Get into the 2nd from left lane and you should be facing a filling station...

Rouen02.png

Cross several lanes on the junction, bearing round to the left and you should be facing a church with two spires. Get into the right hand lane and pass the church on your right...

Rouen03.png

You are now on the D6105 which takes you out of town with the Seine on your right. Follow the signs now for Evreux and after about two miles you come to a roundabout from which the D6105 takes you away from the river and up a hill.

Keep following the D6105 to Evreux and you will come to Igoville which has a Super U filling station with inexpensive diesel.

Carry on D6105 and you will cross the Seine again at Pont de l' Arche where there is an Aire. Carry on and within a couple of miles you will get to a junction for the A154 dual carriageway to Evreux and the south.
Take your time and remember if other cars start honking at you it is because they are pleased to see you!!(y):whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back