Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Just had our 1996 Kontiki 640 into the garage for a couple of new tyres and for them to check underneath following our recent trip. Apparantly the wheel arches underneath are rotting. They are good mechanics (I hope) but dont normally do Motorhomes. They are going to take it into the workshop at some stage and have another look but have concerns about the fibre glass body and wondered if they could cut away the rotten arch and rivet a new piece in if welding is not possible because of the body work. Thought I would ask the question on here in case anyone had come across it before. They are not sure if the arches are structual or not and I suspect this is new ground for them. Im sure they will be ok but I would like as many tips or info from here as possible so I can perhaps pass this on to the guys in the body shop.
Cheers
Barry

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
That's appalling Barry!! Such bad rot on such a relatively young vehicle. I hope all goes well for you. Obviously a good garage - a lot would have done the welding without any regard to the nature of the bodywork.

Good luck.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would be worried about a bodyshop that was unable to work out structual and supporting panels from purley cosmetic ones:Eeek:
Take it to a MoT station for an opinion on the mot criteria
If the panel has any suport mounts for suspension or braking componants or there are any within 30 cm in any and all directionsl of any rivet,(thats nearly a 2 foot area in any straight line) the repair will be deemed inapropriate from an MoT point of view:Doh:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Many thanks for the replies, will pass them on. I dont think they have had a proper look yet amd until it goes up on the ramps they wont know. Just thought I would get some opinions and it looks like riveting is out of the question.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
on our 2001 kontiki 640L, the arches are nothing more than ally mudguards and arent structural.

simple folded ally sheets rivited at the overlaps and with a formed flange that screws to the underside of the floor panels purely to stop crap getting up to the moulded fiberglass/ABS inner arch's.
im sure yours will be the same and the inner GRP/ABS panel forms part of the bathroom floor and at the other side its behind the gas fire.

in my opinion, if yours are steel/tin sheet, welding is a definate no-no because of the close proximity to the GRP inner panels and GRP is one of the best firelighters known to man....iv seen reliant robins on fire and 10 minutes its all over.

Last edited:
OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
on our 2001 kontiki 640L, the arches are nothing more than ally mudguards and arent structural.

simple folded ally sheets rivited at the overlaps and with a formed flange that screws to the underside of the floor panels purely to stop crap getting up to the moulded fiberglass/ABS inner arch's.
im sure yours will be the same and the inner GRP/ABS panel forms part of the bathroom floor and at the other side its behind the gas fire.

in my opinion, if yours are steel/tin sheet, welding is a definate no-no because of the close proximity to the GRP inner panels and GRP is one of the best firelighters known to man....iv seen reliant robins on fire and 10 minutes its all over.

Nice one Pappa John. Full of knowledgeable advice as usual. I thought this might be the case. Will pass on your comments to the garage. Someone on Facts said you shouldnt take a MH to a garage but to a MH dealer but I was under the impression that it was a garage for mechanicals, MOT, engine etc and MH dealer for habitation etc. What does everyone else do?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back