Rotten Front Cross member on Peugeot Boxer (1 Viewer)

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
I suggest anyone with a Boxer older than five years look at the post on the Tech/Mech section regarding the rusting of the front cross member on these vans. On my 1998 Autotrail the removed old cross member could be bent in two parts due to corrosion and it was not picked up on the previous owners MOT a few months ago! It is however very easy to replace so please read the post.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Yes, it`s a usuall problem with all the older pugs and the fiats,a cross member can be bought quite cheap and is easy to fit

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I had an advisery for this last year on the Fiat, changed it in about an hour. Dont forget to Hammerite the replacement:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beelag

Free Member
Dec 5, 2010
Far North of Scotland
Funster No
MH
autocruise van conversion
Exp
As far as I am aware it is not an MoT item. It does not form a structural part of the vehicle, it is just for bearing the weight of the radiator and securing the towhook. Some test stations pick it up and others don't regard it as part of the test.
As said above it is easy and cheap to replace. Did mines this year on a 95 Drifter, added 2 coats hammerite then coated inside and out with Waxoyl.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
As far as I am aware it is not an MoT item. It does not form a structural part of the vehicle, it is just for bearing the weight of the radiator and securing the towhook. Some test stations pick it up and others don't regard it as part of the test.
As said above it is easy and cheap to replace. Did mines this year on a 95 Drifter, added 2 coats hammerite then coated inside and out with Waxoyl.

when i changed mine i used
smooth hammerite on the outside

i then taped all the holes up
filled it with smooth hamerite
turned it end to end and over and over
so i covered the whole of the inside
worst bit was when paint came out
round the towing eye bit of platstacine stopped that
then drained it

a couple of hours to fit it job done

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Hammerite won't last for long as it does rust quickly. Your best best would be to undercoat with red oxide, and then paint with something like rustoleum. Once that is dry, throw some dintrinol, or tetraseal over it and all will be well!

Easy fix, and only about £80 for a new panel.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Can anyone confirm if this Cross Member is the same from 1996 - On please?
Some suppliers advertise 96 - 02 and 02 - 06 as different units but I have a feeling they're identical.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I agree with all the other comments on here about the fitting of the front cross member.

When I replaced mine, on the side of the road, I found it handy to have someone holding up the radiator etc. This enabled me to slot the rad in place and then lift the whole assembly slightly to enable the mounting bolts to be fitted.

By the way, the previous MOT garage only pointed it out with a note on the invoice. It was not an MOT item they said.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can anyone confirm if this Cross Member is the same from 1996 - On please?
Some suppliers advertise 96 - 02 and 02 - 06 as different units but I have a feeling they're identical.

physically they are more than likely the same BUT......some of the holes may be in a different position...rad mountings and towing eyebolt threaded hole etc.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'm not a MOT tester but I'd say its definitely a testable item and yes it is structural. It ties the front chassis rails together and holds the towing eye, if that doesn't define structural then I don't know what does. They are not difficult to replace, I did one recently but the new ones have a slightly different towing eye which officially needs a new bumper but unofficially you can simply cut a bit of the bumper away to clear. No need to support tthe rad as it will hang on its upper mountings quite happily unless they're shot in which case change them too, again not a big or expensive job.

D.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
It's not considered structural otherwise my van would have failed the last MOT as the member is clearly holed along the bottom.
It prompted an advisory though along with "Minor Play in Wheel Bearing".

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Don't forget your sump while you are under there, quite a common failing on Ducattos, thing sheet steel rusting out, sanded mine, 1 coat boiled linseed oil, 2 coats hammerlite

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It's not considered structural otherwise my van would have failed the last MOT as the member is clearly holed along the bottom.
It prompted an advisory though along with "Minor Play in Wheel Bearing".

Even MOT testers can be wrong you know. I've known testers fail vehicles for slight play in wheel bearings when they're supposed to have slight play in them and I've known the same tester pass a vehicle with play in a front wheel bearing when there should be none at all.

Boxer/Ducato/Relay from 1994 to late 2006 front crossmember under the rad is a structural element in my humble opinion.

D.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Well you could be right Dave, I don't know.
If doesn't really matter though as I'm replacing it anyway and only wanted to know whether a 2002 - 2006 (advertised) Cross Member would fit a 1998 van.
I am interested in Solar Panels and a Reversing Camera Kit though, are you the man to speak to??

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Even MOT testers can be wrong you know. I've known testers fail vehicles for slight play in wheel bearings when they're supposed to have slight play in them and I've known the same tester pass a vehicle with play in a front wheel bearing when there should be none at all.

Boxer/Ducato/Relay from 1994 to late 2006 front crossmember under the rad is a structural element in my humble opinion.

D.

I agree - the test is just the opinion of the tester whom is 'trained' to a certain standard - but it will only be an opinion......as as you all experience on here, opinions vary! No different with testers - some are particular on bushes, some are particular on rust - it is a personal thing.

Not long ago, I had an advisory on the MOT for tyres being perished......at three weeks old....they were not at all, but this tester from what I gather classed every motorhome as having perished tyres, regardless stating that it was due to it being stood up. I made him look a fool being in the trade, but there would be many owners who would worry about it.

The front crossmember TREAT as structural for you own peace of mind. You changed a cambelt at a few hundred pounds for the same reason....so what is £80 and an afternoon once every 5 or 10 years?
They say it is not structural as the chassis legs are strong enough by themselves to hold the subframe and the front together....the panel beater in me far prefers a front crossmember as dave says, to tie the two together!

On top of which - if you get recovered and are being winched onto a lorry - last thing you want to see is your 30k motorhome rolling off down the road, less it's front end....as there are agents who will use the front eye rather than brothers!

The bearings do have an alarming amount of play in them in comparison to other (most) vehicles - in fact any other vehicle I would think the wheel was about to fall off - but that is the way these french based vehicles are made.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I agree - the test is just the opinion of the tester whom is 'trained' to a certain standard - but it will only be an opinion......as as you all experience on here, opinions vary! No different with testers - some are particular on bushes, some are particular on rust - it is a personal thing.

Not long ago, I had an advisory on the MOT for tyres being perished......at three weeks old....they were not at all, but this tester from what I gather classed every motorhome as having perished tyres, regardless stating that it was due to it being stood up. I made him look a fool being in the trade, but there would be many owners who would worry about it.

The front crossmember TREAT as structural for you own peace of mind. You changed a cambelt at a few hundred pounds for the same reason....so what is £80 and an afternoon once every 5 or 10 years?
They say it is not structural as the chassis legs are strong enough by themselves to hold the subframe and the front together....the panel beater in me far prefers a front crossmember as dave says, to tie the two together!

On top of which - if you get recovered and are being winched onto a lorry - last thing you want to see is your 30k motorhome rolling off down the road, less it's front end....as there are agents who will use the front eye rather than brothers!

The bearings do have an alarming amount of play in them in comparison to other (most) vehicles - in fact any other vehicle I would think the wheel was about to fall off - but that is the way these french based vehicles are made.

Thanks for the advice and I am going to fit a new one anyway but.......Will a 2002 - 2006 Cross Member fit a 1998 Van??:cry:

Colint55

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Been reading about all your rotten cross member. Mine was reported to me on my last MOT so I need to replace it. Can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement from for a Peugeot Boxer (98) and an exhaust system? Please. Colin

Deleted User
I suggest anyone with a Boxer older than five years look at the post on the Tech/Mech section regarding the rusting of the front cross member on these vans.
Well, Wheres the link to this post then Barry.......? (n)

Deleted User
Sorry Guys, I just found this thread a frustrating post as its telling you to read a certain post buts theres no link to it
Why not just adding his comment to this thread if its the one hes on about ??

Cheers

Fred..

Free Member
Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
I had mine changed a few weeks ago cost £130 fitted.
Thats a great price, but would of been nice to of had it protected by a few coats of paint as they are so prone to rusting, suggested here

Great price though & job done & all sorted for you
(y)

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
something to be aware of is the chassis rails where the crossmember bolts into can also suffer from the same corrosion and in that case it will definately require welding to put right. on my fiat hymer this area [on o/s] was hidden by a sort of lower engine shield and only became evident when one of the new crossmember fixing bolts just kept turning ,due to the metal around the captive nut having rotted through. regards garry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back