Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
was under the MH this afternoon cleaning off loads of mud after being away on a very wet site at the weekend and decided to have a prod about to check the floor and have found that both back corners are soft ( about 2" square) so not bad at the moment. The question is
1) can this be cut out and replaced
or
2) can I just mastic a piece of plywood over the soft area

the rest of the floor seems to be sound, van is an Ace Milano 07 which I know many have had problems with the floors and have had to had them replaced so hoping I can avoid this by making repair before it gets any worse, All damp checks in MH are fine

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
2" x 2" wont be carrying any weight so i cant see any reason not to cut it out.

hardest part will be gluing a new piece in but at least you'll be able to see if its spread upwards into the main frame structure.

gluing a piece of ply over the affected area will only mask it and it could get worse.

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
Cut the rotten piece out & scarf a new piece in - job's a good 'un:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As per the above posting this should be sorted out by Swift - there is a known problem with some of their vans of this age so I suggest you contact them and do NOT attempt to do any repair work yourself.

You may also like to join the Swift forum as this has been discussed in relation to someone else's van recently with the same problem, you can also contact Swift staff via their site too:

Link Removed

Amendment to the above: Ron, are you the 'Ron Cameron' who has already mentioned this problem on Swift Talk?

Last edited:

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
rotten floor

Mine started with a rotten floor,when I get the knack of posting pictures you,l see how it eventually turned out to be a big lengthy job, complete part rear floor and inside panel rebuild.A damp test will only detect a leak through wood and not through aluminuim or polystyerene . Good luck. yokeljohn.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Yes already posted on Swift talk, may have to give them a phone as living in the North of Scotland then taking MH back to swift is not an option and would like it repaired local if possible.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
just back from seeing the dealer that sold me the MH (he mainly sells caravans but did sell this MH new) MH going in on Thursday for them to check and do a report but said that unlikely that swift will authorise repair as back corners are a common problem on all MH's ?????

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
unlikely that swift will authorise repair as back corners are a common problem on all MH's ?????

Absolute rubbish! It might be common on most Swift motorhomes, but certainly not on the majority of German and French ones. And even if they do have problems, it is unlikely before they are well over 10 years old - certainly not on a 2007 vehicle.

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
This is how I found this website, researching leaking M.H,s ,I was aware of a problem on my 2004 C.I. about a year ago while wiring up reversing sensors, at first to the naked eye no problem,but while fitting screws I exposed a large amount of rotten wooden floor up into the inside if the van and up the inside wall panels, Dealer, just sympathy and helpful advice as they have seen it all before, Importer, not in the least interested.and wasn,t aware it was a problem, I am just coming to the end of a lengthy and frustrating end of two major leak repairs which involved totally stripping the inside of my M.H. due to poor manufacturing, I.E.
lack of suffucient sealant on wooden floor, also non stainless screws used in vunerable locations . Camocam1,I would be interested to know if your hab. test included a under floor inspection prior to you finding the leak, Good luck yokeljohn.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
HM had a habitation & damp check done prior to me buying it in July and nothing showed up but I do not believe that they check under the van even when they know that it is a problem area. Did not get full habitation & damp reports with the paperwork but dealer says that they have them on file and can be produced if required to back up report they are going to do.
I found out about the potential problem from various web sites but only after I had bought the van or I may not have spent the cash.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Interesting thread camocam1,:thumb: thank you for the up:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi it is a well publisized problem on the Swifts cica 2006 models and Swift promised to retify there vans as and when they showed themselves -- they refused to recall all the afected vans that had the new flooring stating that not all were a problem :Eeek:::bigsmile:They eventualy claimed it was the flooring at fault but then decided that is was caused by the skirts not being sealed so autherised the seals to be done as and when vans came in for service / ingress checks
BELOW WAS SWIFTS REPLY TO ONE but since then I have heard of them refusing one customers request for the work done stating that it is out of warenty pLEASE KEEP US UPDATED -PERHAPS PRINT SWIFTS REPLY and take it with you to the dealers :winky:
terry
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------swifts reply

The floor is sourced from a well established composite panel manufacturer in Europe who supplies a large number of Motorhome manufacturers with this design. They are a well known supplier within the caravan and Motorhome industry. Their specification of flooring as supplied and fitted to the Motorhomes consists of vinyl faced plywood on the underside of the composite construction

This material provides excellent moisture resistance to the underside of the floor, however, if any moisture infiltrates the floor structure the vinyl face materials will then prevent trapped moisture from escaping easily. In this instance if not rectified the internal floor materials can deteriorate and result in the damage that people have reported on the forum.

Swift have the expertise and are confident that the floor can be successfully repaired to prevent a re-occurrence of this problem, a blackened WBP ply can be used as a recognized alternative which will allow the materials and the floor structure to breathe.

We have changed our production and changed the flooring from the composite material to ply so that it is breathable.

Regards
Kath

I am going to get someone to give you a call with more details about the specific issues with your vehicle, we clearly have not satisfied you.

Regarding your other points. It is not the floor that has initially caused the problem, it is the fact that the leak has occurred elsewhere, which could be the skirts or the exterior door for instance but because we have used this composite material rather than breathable ply then the deterioration to the floor occurs quicker than it would if the floor was breathable.

We cannot do a recall because it is not specific enough to tell the dealers what to look for. Furthermore, the failures are still extremely low in comparison to the vans built.

The vans that have failed so far have all been in the warranty period.

When this occurs it is very distressing for owners, but you all know that Swift will not walk away from our responsibilites and will repair back at our factory.

Regards
Kath

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
just back from seeing the dealer that sold me the MH (he mainly sells caravans but did sell this MH new) MH going in on Thursday for them to check and do a report but said that unlikely that swift will authorise repair as back corners are a common problem on all MH's ?????

Don't let them fob you off. Swift customer services are the B E S T at talking crap when it comes to a customer having problems. After 11 motorhomes this is the FIRST time I have heard of most motorhomes having a small problem with flooring.
I have just talked to a friend of mine who works for Elddis and his answer was
well it is Swift and everyone know's how they deal with customers know.
Dig your feet in and post some photos. Better still have your van fully signwritten ready for display at Peterborough show. I did this once for Newbury and the resulting customer service was fantastic, as it should be without resorting to these measures.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back