Rot from road spray on lower edge of walls (1 Viewer)

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
Hello all,

As the thread title says really I have discovered that the lower 50mm ends of the walls have rotted. Not all areas are damaged and when I checked the van I didn't stupidly check it all.

Now the van is GRP sandwich construction but on the under side it looks very much like ply ends. I am trying to understand how this is constructed in cross section, Then I can get to work fixing it all.

I have read all of the very good damp repair threads here and I know I am going to be busy. I already found a repaired a leak in a window, but none of the timber in that area was rotten so I am probably looking at road spray damage. The underseal looks shot so has allowed water to penetrate. I think the 3 areas I spot checked when looking to buy it were the clean solid areas....live and learn I guess.

So basically my aim for this thread is to understand the construction without touching the van. Then using that info, formulate a plan to restore it. The rot is all dry and none if it was wet that i could see. The internal lower edged of the wall all feel solid too.

On this van the walls run down past the floor and the floor ends are butted up to the inner face of the wall, the wall runs approx 50mm down past the lower face of the floor. I hope that make sense.

Thanks

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I had a similar issue along the rear end. I removed the bumper and trims, then spent about four hours under the van, cutting and chiseling the rotten wood until i came to solid dry timber. It hadnt gone up into the walls. I treated the timber with preservative and then drilled and screwed a new piece of treated timber to the existing, using bitumen sealant between the two. Then i fully sprayed new underseal over the whole lot. You cant tell its been repaired.

The most difficult and time consuming part was removing the old rotted wood and trying to keep it 'straight' to make adding a new piece easier. It was a real labour of love and time consuming, but turned out succesful.

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
Thanks Mister B, that was my thinking on how to tackle this. I may have some question for you as a get going with it :)

I have only owned it for a few months now, it is at the moment on grass but will be going to a storage place once it is repaired. this will be on a hardstand.

Why do you ask ?

Spotto

Free Member
Nov 14, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Startrail
Exp
since 2010
Thanks Mister B, that was my thinking on how to tackle this. I may have some question for you as a get going with it :)

I have only owned it for a few months now, it is at the moment on grass but will be going to a storage place once it is repaired. this will be on a hardstand.

Why do you ask ?

As a matter of interrst, what is the make, model, and age of the van. There may be others on this site who might benefit from finding out if they're affected too....

Thanks

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Mine was a 2003 ducato based coachbuilt low profile.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp