LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I must say before you read the following it seems ROSPA is doing little more than making noise to remind people they are there

From the BMF
Published on 27 September 2019 by Mike Waters
Tags: , ,
Filed under Category:
A statement by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) has expressed concern over an increase in road deaths among vulnerable road users.

Citing statistics released by the Department for Transport, the charity noted that “the number of people aged 60 and over killed in reported road accidents has increased by five per cent from 559 (2017) to 588 (2018), with a rise in the number of drivers and riders of motorcycles over 50cc being killed accounting for this”.

It also highlighted that “the number of motorcyclists killed on Great Britain’s roads rose from 349 in 2017 to 354 in 2018. RoSPA offers advanced driver and rider training which aims to reduce road accidents by encouraging an interest in road safety and by improving driving and riding standards, knowledge and skill.”

Commenting, the charity’s acting head of road safety Nick Lloyd said: “It is disappointing to see there has been little to no improvement in the number of fatalities on our roads. In light of this, we continue to urge the government to implement road safety targets to help prevent tragedies in the coming years.

“It is particularly concerning to see an increase in the number of older drivers and riders being killed and also a rise in the number of older road users being killed or seriously injured – which was up by nine per cent. We would recommend that mature motorists seek refresher training if they are noticing any changes in their driving or riding; in fact, we recommend that all drivers and riders take regular refresher training to keep their skills up to date.”

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The reasons for more accidents these days are the 1 very poor state of the roads
2 overcrowded roads
3 very poor driving from a lot of foreign drivers
4 extremely poor driver training in the uk, especially for bikes
5 no police to check the bad drivers apart from catching people 2 or 3 miles per hour over the speed limit, which brings in money but has very little affect on safety.
I think it is only going to get worse.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
And of course you can provide statistical evidence to back up this xenophobic statement?
I have only anecdotal evidence but this includes the fatality that was in the news last week, a foreign driver on the "wrong" side of the road.
Interesting that of all the points I raised this is the only one you picked up on.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Facts behind these accidents would help.
Any other drivers involved? If so, age, type of car, gender, worker, regular car commuter?
I've noticed the general standard of car driving, especially with youngsters, has fallen badly. They can't see a problem with driving and being on a mobile phone for instance.
So many things to take into account.
Time of day, state of roads, weather, lighting.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
And of course you can provide statistical evidence to back up this xenophobic statement?

Police programs highlighting Eastern European’s isn’t xenophobic it’s real life.

Strange driving “technics” look no further than Asians.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Is the report not saying that over 60's are jumping on their bikes and are either now rich enough to buy bikes which they do not have the skills to ride or are returning to biking after 20-30 years without updating their skills. Rather than blaming anyone else.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i blame the early release of pension pots allowing blokes to have a second go at the mid life crisis

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
do the statistics state the average age of the ‘other’ driver/rider?
my dad was a statistician, he could prove anything using magic maths.

motorcyclists are, apparently, invisible. One is taught that when learning... I don’t think I know a motorcyclist who has not been either almost, or actually, mown down by a driver turning in front of him/her. I am lucky, I am in the ‘almost‘ category.
“Sorry mate” “didn’t see you”

I remember seeing an interview with one of the spice girls on Top Gear some while back. She was giggling about having had a few crashes. Her brother apparently had pointed out that, while driving, driving was number five on her list of things to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back