Roses spain (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2014
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Granvia
Exp
2weeks
Hi we are looking at going to roses area in sept or oct if we are allowed never been to this area before I see some of the sites close in sept and Oct do you think we are leaving it to late to go then also looking for areas near there and also any sites people can recommend please we are looking at going for 6 weeks

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We tried to visit Roses in September 2019, it was absolutely rammed with motorhomes, campsites were full. One wanted €50 for a night on a rough patch of sand barely bigger than our panel van. We also found the Spanish in the local supermarket and the campsite receptions rude and unhelpful.

We headed straight back to France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We were just along the coast a short distance, over the border in South of France, at the end of September 2019.

The weather was absolutely glorious and we were frustrated so many French sites in the vicinity closed at the end of September.

If you are interested, we stayed at a lovely 5-star site on the outskirts of the beautiful historic seaside town / port of Collioure - we used a cab from the site to go into town, but there were car parks available. It was like a less expensive and touristy St Tropez (still a bit touristy, however, but very enjoyable). :giggle:

Google images: Broken Link Removed

The campsite was called Camping Les Criques de Porteils -

It had panoramic sea views and its own private beach. It was in the ACSI scheme and we paid €20 per night all in, which we thought for the quality of the site and the location of the pitch we secured was good value. Ask for a sea-view if that's what you want - we certainly did. It was open through October. (y)

The first two pics below are the views from van. :giggle:

If you're in the area, Collioure is well worth a visit.

From there we moved on to the Costa Dorada, and the weather remained fine until about mid-October, but obviously the weather will vary from year to year at that time in the season.

Haven't been to Roses yet, sorry.

IMG_20190930_141257 (1).jpg
IMG_20190930_132754 (1).jpg
IMG_20190930_130944.jpg
IMG_20190930_131133.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We stayed here a couple of years ago, north of roses but a good place to stop on the way , fishing town with a beach with all sorts of beach stuff going on, large park on the other side of the road to the beach ,free parking..
We liked it.
Also second collioure, excellent Aire about a mile from centre of town but regular busses included in the price.
Screenshot_20210206-112749.png

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We use Camping Salata on the edge of town, promenade all the way into Roses centre 15 mins leisurely walk or a few minutes cycle. Supermarkets within an easy level walk of campsite including Lidl, lots of bars and restaurants a few minutes walk and a fabulous beach. The campsite does deals for longer stays it is popular so prebooking is essential. They take ACSI but it’s cheaper to stay longer on a deal

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thank you we have looked at that site
If you have transport there are some very good sites further out near St Pere Pescador as already mentioned, a favourite of ours is Camping Aquarius we are booked in for all of September, the CCC normally do a rally here but they have pulled out of all their continental rallies this year so a bunch of us members are having a meet this year. From there we will probably go to Salata for a month.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We stayed somewhere near a beach in a car park. Cant find it on google maps but I remember we had to turn left long before getting to the town which didnt make sense on a map, until you notice a "No Through Road" which goes along the beach.
It was a bit of a hole to be fair where we stayed but it was free and the restaurant staff urinating in the car park and going straight back in to serve enticed us to eat in.
We tried to go previously but gave up in the motorhome when the traffic jam to get in was about 10 miles long on a lovely day, so choose your timing well.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
A little further south at l'Estartit is Camping Rifort which I think is open until November. It's at the edge of the town about 10-15 mins walk from the marina. Plenty of water sports available if you are into that sort of thing plus lots of cafes, restaurants etc. A supermarket just across the road and a Lidl or Aldi, can't remember which, about 1/2mile away. Family run site with pool and excellent toilet/shower facilities and bar on site.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Spent Christmas in Roses a year ago , room on site. But started to fill up for New Year,as we left . The camperstop just round the corner had space all the time we were in the area (opposite Carrefour )

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We went to Roses in September 3 years ago, drove into town and parked on the triangle by the petanque pitches by some other motorhomes. I walked down to the tourist office and asked about parking.

I was told you could park anywhere a car could park out of high season and parking was free.

We spent a nice couple of nights parked by the Marina, very quiet & peaceful, found it to be a very nice resort.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We tried to visit Roses in September 2019, it was absolutely rammed with motorhomes, campsites were full. One wanted €50 for a night on a rough patch of sand barely bigger than our panel van. We also found the Spanish in the local supermarket and the campsite receptions rude and unhelpful.

Not far enough south and full of French the Costa Brava.BUSBY.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We used to go there 4 or 5 times a year between September and Easter. Stopped on various sites between Empuriabrava and Roses and it was never a problem. However, we've not been there for 6 years so my experience is likely no longer valid.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We used to go there 4 or 5 times a year between September and Easter. Stopped on various sites between Empuriabrava and Roses and it was never a problem. However, we've not been there for 6 years so my experience is likely no longer valid.
We find Empuriabrava much quieter than Roses..Love an afternoon at the small air field watching the paracenders and having a pint or two..Nice cycle through the nature reserve to Roses..BUSBY.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Hi we are looking at going to roses area in sept or oct if we are allowed never been to this area before I see some of the sites close in sept and Oct do you think we are leaving it to late to go then also looking for areas near there and also any sites people can recommend please we are looking at going for 6 weeks
We are thinking the same ,have tunnel booked for June but think we will be moving it to September or later.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Slightly further on than St Pere
Pescador is camping Balena Alegre fully equipped adjoining beach all facilities lge divided pitches with your own palm trees.Not cheap but get what you pay for.
Easy distance to Empuria Greek / Roman town not to be missed also lovely promenade. restaurants close by in beautiful small village. 10/10

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Done all of that area and stayed at loads of sites. In my view Roses is the best town in the area. We usually go to Spain twice a year and nearly always end up in Roses at some point. Usually first few days of September. Always get on a site. We like Salata as its handy for the town. Check out the Hotels who do meal deal buffets with wine. There is also a camper stop about 100 yds from Salata with decent facilities. Empuriabrava is also decent with a good generally off road cycle route to Roses

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you have transport there are some very good sites further out near St Pere Pescador as already mentioned, a favourite of ours is Camping Aquarius we are booked in for all of September, the CCC normally do a rally here but they have pulled out of all their continental rallies this year so a bunch of us members are having a meet this year. From there we will probably go to Salata for a month.
That’s a nice site with a good beach bar.

Las Dunas is next door where we used to take the kids and then in L’Escala we stayed at this one
http://www.campingillamateua.com/en/home which is near a lovely beach but I am unsure whether it is open for the whole of September.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003

Can sympathise.
I have always found many Catalans to be rude and unhelpful. More so than in any other part of Spain, where the feeling is shared by non-Catalans.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Can sympathise.
I have always found many Catalans to be rude and unhelpful. More so than in any other part of Spain, where the feeling is shared by non-Catalans.
That’s strange because I have always found Catalans to be friendly.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We love Roses and it’s always our first and last stop when traveling in and out of Spain.

We stayed 1 night on the camperstop last Dec when we were travelling home for christmas and it is what it is. TBH the weather that night was atrocious, very windy and bloody freezing but it didn’t stop us finding the 1 bar that was open.

Salata next door is very very dusty if the wind is blowing and trust me you and your motorhome will be covered. Whereas across the road Càmping Rhodas just round the corner is just on another level in our opinion, tarmac roads and as lovely little pool and bar area. The whole place is spotlessly clean as well. Very friendly owners and staff.

Camping Joncamar nearer to the centre, we’ll if I had to stay their I think i’d sell the motorhome, we’ve rode around it twice on our bikes and no way in a million years would we book Joncamar, it’s just our opinion mind you as you always have to make your own mind up.

Roses itself is great, lovely flat prom and beach bars along the way, bars across from the prom leading to a maze of narrow streets around the old town, fabulous restaurants and little bars everywhere, walk on the prom towards the marina and you get to a Fairground Carousel on the left, walk towards it and that’s where the old town starts, love it.

If your into boats then at the other end of Roses towards Empuriabrava then little Venice starts and that is also a maze of waterways in and around the area.

Can you tell we like Roses 😉

Edit: the locals have always been friendly as well 👍

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We use Camping Salata on the edge of town, promenade all the way into Roses centre 15 mins leisurely walk or a few minutes cycle. Supermarkets within an easy level walk of campsite including Lidl, lots of bars and restaurants a few minutes walk and a fabulous beach. The campsite does deals for longer stays it is popular so prebooking is essential. They take ACSI but it’s cheaper to stay longer on a deal
We've stayed there a couple of times. Once in December and once in April so I don't know what September would be like. It's a bit further out of town (but a nice walk along the promenade to get there) and didn't seem as busy as the ones nearer.
Loved it both times.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We love Roses and it’s always our first and last stop when traveling in and out of Spain.

We stayed 1 night on the camperstop last Dec when we were travelling home for christmas and it is what it is. TBH the weather that night was atrocious, very windy and bloody freezing but it didn’t stop us finding the 1 bar that was open.

Salata next door is very very dusty if the wind is blowing and trust me you and your motorhome will be covered. Whereas across the road Càmping Rhodas just round the corner is just on another level in our opinion, tarmac roads and as lovely little pool and bar area. The whole place is spotlessly clean as well. Very friendly owners and staff.

Camping Joncamar nearer to the centre, we’ll if I had to stay their I think i’d sell the motorhome, we’ve rode around it twice on our bikes and no way in a million years would we book Joncamar, it’s just our opinion mind you as you always have to make your own mind up.

Roses itself is great, lovely flat prom and beach bars along the way, bars across from the prom leading to a maze of narrow streets around the old town, fabulous restaurants and little bars everywhere, walk on the prom towards the marina and you get to a Fairground Carousel on the left, walk towards it and that’s where the old town starts, love it.

If your into boats then at the other end of Roses towards Empuriabrava then little Venice starts and that is also a maze of waterways in and around the area.

Can you tell we like Roses 😉

Edit: the locals have always been friendly as well 👍
We've never found Salata was dusty but perhaps we were just licky. I second everything you say about Joncamar. Truly horrible.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
If you stay at Roses, make sure you visit Cadaques where Salvador Dalis house is now a museum. Beautiful area. We had the scooter and the drive from Roses to Cadaques was as good as it gets.
Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back