Roscoff - Plymouth crossing: anyone used this, advice etc (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We're going to La Rochelle (île de Ré) in early July and I noticed how close (relatively) it is to Cornwall where I've been promising to take the children for a while now. Catching crabs in Padstow:rolleyes: and a Cornish pastie, as well as Hale beach:love: all fond memories.

Noticed that there's a crossing from Roscoff to Plymouth which isn't too expensive, looks about 5hrs.

We are over 3m but it looks like they can accommodate that, just a few $$$ more.....

Anyone have made this crossing with a van ? any comments ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have used it several times, for convenience really as we live near Plymouth. There are two types of crossing, the overnight and day sailings. Overnight ones typically leave about 22:00 and arrive 08:00 local. This gives you a night's sleep and is what we used on the outward leg of this trip.
On the return we are getting a day sailing but still taking a cabin as they are very cheap during the day. This will allow us to have a shower after leaving a Roscoff aire around 07:00 to get the ferry.
There are no facilities for dogs but ours is fine left in the MH on both night and day sailings.
The Amorique is the usual boat but we have the larger Pont Aven on the way back.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i used it loads of times when i was on trucks its a good crossing and roscoff is really nice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Used this route back to the UK in April and it was a very good crossing. Day time departure, arrived at around 9pm. Didn't bother with cabin as it was only 6 hours and there were plenty of comfortable seats to be had. Will use again as we have family in Liskeard. :)

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We have used it several times, for convenience really as we live near Plymouth. There are two types of crossing, the overnight and day sailings. Overnight ones typically leave about 22:00 and arrive 08:00 local. This gives you a night's sleep and is what we used on the outward leg of this trip.
On the return we are getting a day sailing but still taking a cabin as they are very cheap during the day. This will allow us to have a shower after leaving a Roscoff aire around 07:00 to get the ferry.
There are no facilities for dogs but ours is fine left in the MH on both night and day sailings.
The Amorique is the usual boat but we have the larger Pont Aven on the way back.

So you are allowed to leave dogs in the van during the crossing then ? it's not too hot in there etc, ours would also be happy in there. Can you visit them or is that area secured off ? A day crossing is the most likely for us.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
It's our preferred crossing too as we are often crossing to Brittany. We have a Club Voyage membership so if you want a code to give a friends and family discount of 10% please PM me.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So you are allowed to leave dogs in the van during the crossing then ? it's not too hot in there etc, ours would also be happy in there. Can you visit them or is that area secured off ? A day crossing is the most likely for us.
You have no option but to leave them in the vehicle. The Pont Aven has kennels but as far as I know these are not available on short trips. For the return trip the timings suit our dog, after an early morning walk and his breakfast he doesn't normally need another walk until after lunch, so he just sleeps. Similarly the outward night sailing is in sleeping time. We know he settles down and sleeps because we've woken him every time we unlocked the van for disembarkation - and you can tell he has just woken from a deep sleep, he is almost rubbing his eyes. :)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We use it, generally the night crossing Pont Aven, you are woken up in time to take a shower, so you start your onward journey refreshed.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I think the Pont Aven on that crossing is less frequent than the Armorique. The Armorique doesn't have a posh restaurant like most of the other BF ships but otherwise is just as good. I can't comment on dog facilities as we have no need for them.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Sounds like a good crossing. It shouldn't be difficult to convince the children of the need to have a boat trip, they'll be up for that and the dogs will be fine for the 5hrs or so. Then we can skirt around the Devon and Cornish coast

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are a few aires you can use around Roscoff, they are listed on CamperContact and of course other websites are available. :) You can even park in the port itself, there is an area signed for motorhomes. We've stopped at it for breakfast a couple of times but I suspect it would be fine overnight, through there could be a few lorries turning up in the wee hours.
Alternatively, there are campsites around St Pol de Leon. Camping Ar Kleguer is nice but not sure if they can do very big MHs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back