DavidEJM

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Our van has very little storage for things like chairs etc and I happen to have a roofbox in the garage that will fit.

When we bought the van the previous owner said that he took a roofbox off as there was only him and his wife and he didn't see the need for the extra drag. When I have had a look on the roof there seem to be some self tapping screws in the holes where the old box has been removed.

Now, the question is, do these roofboxes just get srewed to the roof? I guess there is some kind of plywood underneath the fibreglass panel, but even so this seems a bit 'weak'.

Any help welcomed.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi David.

Mine is bolted through the roof and reinforced with plywood and penny washers under the bolts.

I ran silicon sealant all around it to stop water pooling and possibly corroding the bolts and prevent water seepage through the roof.

When you consider it, the drag should be negligible if mounted to the rear of the motorhome .

Plenty of turbulence up there... but possibly above the box.Why don't they make motorhomes more aerodynamically efficient?

We carry all the Tables/chairs etc in it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidEJM

DavidEJM

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
just dug this old thread out because I really need to get the box mounted soon. Is it just a case of bolting through the roof and the penny washers etc showing inside the rear compartment?

If it is, I'd be a bit worried about the appearance from below and also some of the fixings are almost certainly where the roof cabinets are meaning I'd have to remove the cupboards first.

The old fixings don't seem to have gone all the way through, I wonder if I could use some kind of captive nut fitted from above. Something like a 'rivnut' if anyone has seen that kind of fitting?

Any thoughts anyone?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My old Kon Tiki had a specific arrangement as part of the original roof construction which appeared just to be some wooden reinforcement incorporated into the fibreglass roof construction and so you could just screw into it. Possibly yours may have a similar arrangement.
My last van had roof bars so I just fitted a box to these using U bolts, though I subsequently removed it as I never used it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back