Roof (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Whilst up on the roof (B544 2011) waxing it as we're off for 8 weeks to Europe. I noticed the paint/colour is rather thin and the aluminium is oxidising in places. So I thought best way to sort this without a full roof respray ?

I have seen mention of hard plastic sheeting applied to the roof for hail proofing it, and thought aha !

So I checked out some pvc sheeting, found this product and wondered if this would do it ? need to make sure it's UV stable though.

I would need to remove the solar panels first to make a decent job, and it comes in grey so not a perfect match but isn't seen from the ground so not a big problem. I would probably go for 3mm thick panels and would need about 6 panels in total so not a lot of money.

Any better ideas ?

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
No idea about these panels, but what about getting just the roof vinyl wrapped. Like they do to cars and boats? More expensive, but it would protect your roof, would be the right colour and look as good as your roof was when new.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its starting to oxidise already it needs treating and painting if you clad over it or not

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If you use these panels and water got underneath it would cause more damage and trouble then you have now...

I have a 2012 b544 and haven’t noticed thinning or oxidation, has something been use on it previously to damage it...?

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
As I'm the 3 rd owner I've no idea whats been on the roof prior to me, it has 2 solar panels, nothing else. Could be when it was painted they put thin coat on ?

I'll leave it for now as its been double waxed and we're away for 6 weeks soon.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As I'm the 3 rd owner I've no idea whats been on the roof prior to me, it has 2 solar panels, nothing else. Could be when it was painted they put thin coat on ?

I'll leave it for now as its been double waxed and we're away for 6 weeks soon.

Hmm, I’ll keep an eye on mine, thanks for the heads up..

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Looked again at the roof, used some T cut on small patch and it cleaned up nicely. Looks like spots on roof as it needs a good clean so not oxidizing as I thought. Don't know what it is though ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back