Jul 28, 2021
Tiverton, UK
Funster No
MH
rapido i1090
Exp
since 1996
hi, hope everyone is ok,
i have just swapped my autotrail comanchi for a delaware, in my old van we were always getting mess in through the roof lights something we did not have a problem with in my older vans 2008 models. when i drove my new van home, only about 10 miles although being cleaned by the dealer so was very clean roof and all, we found there was once again mess on the bed and in the toilet.
does anyone have any suggestions on a way of sorting it out as its a pain.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
What sort of mess? We sometimes get leaves in but nothing when driving as everything is closed.

OP
OP
chrisandbev
Jul 28, 2021
Tiverton, UK
Funster No
MH
rapido i1090
Exp
since 1996
What sort of mess? We sometimes get leaves in but nothing when driving as everything is closed.
all of the vents were closed, it seems every van i have had since 2008 have let bits in, my last van it tried to put a seal around the outer edge to try to eliminate the bits entering, this helped but did not solve the problem. i was thinking of may be a sponge edging rather than the more solid rubber might help but not sure.

chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Yes, I also find “mess” from the roof vents in the bathroom and above the bed. It’s usually dust, small leaves, pollen, etc. I can’t understand how it gets through and yet I never get water ingress. I know this latter statement will surprise the Autotrail bashers on here!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A lot of roof lights are available with fixed ventilation, I expect that's what you have. Cheapskate manufacturers use them as it saves them having to fit other permanent ventilation.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'd guess it may come down to poor or incorrect fitting of the rooflights. If done properly additional sealing shouldn't be needed. Sadly poor manufacturing continues to raise its ugly head.

But it doesn't get reported here so maybe a check with good respected caravan repair place might reveal something.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes, I also find “mess” from the roof vents in the bathroom and above the bed. It’s usually dust, small leaves, pollen, etc. I can’t understand how it gets through and yet I never get water ingress. I know this latter statement will surprise the Autotrail bashers on here!
The roof lights don't fully seal airtight. Believe it's to allow some ventilation.

as per my learned friend Lenny HB

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Swap the skylight for a Maxxfan it has a fitted mesh filter which stops stuff coming through and it can be removed for washing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back