Free Member
Oct 4, 2014
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi
I live i milton keynes. Just bought a new xlwb boxer and want a roof vent or 2 fitted. I have tried to get a price for someone to cut the holes but can't get one.
Does anyone on here do it or know a rough price. Or do I buy a nibbler and take a gamble in me doing it!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Or do I buy a nibbler and take a gamble in me doing it!

I think if you are asking the question then I suggest you get someone else..

It's not difficult, but you only get one shot at it ..

if you decide to DIY .. you could practice on an old piece of metal first .. e.g. on an old car bonnet from the scrap man

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
I live i milton keynes. Just bought a new xlwb boxer and want a roof vent or 2 fitted. I have tried to get a price for someone to cut the holes but can't get one.
Does anyone on here do it or know a rough price. Or do I buy a nibbler and take a gamble in me doing it!

It isn't a hard job. However if you are fitting them to the ribbed part of the roof there are a couple of techniques you can use. I used a drill and a jig saw to do my windows, although I have seen other use a cutting disk in their grinder and a nibbler.

Measure twice, thrice and then once again.

The way I did it was to make a wooden frame that the window fitted into nicely. I then sika'd this to the wall, then drilled holes in the corner then drew lines on the outside using the holes as guides. I then cut with a jigsaw. Perfect fit. Might be a bit harder on a ribbed roof but the principle is the same.

The has lots of builders who will be happy to give further advice.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: cutting the holes isn't the hard bit. on a ribbed roof getting it sealed and flush is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yomper

Yomper

Free Member
Oct 4, 2014
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I know what your saying about if I'm asking then I should get someone else to do it I'm pretty confident I can do any Job (within reason) if I read up on it. I was kinda wanting to get this out of the way as I only got the van last Tuesday and my next few weekends are full I asked a couple of garages 1 a campervan converter and he couldn't give me a price or when he could do it. I want it done within weeks so I can insulate before cold weather hits. Glenn I will call

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yomper

Yomper

Free Member
Oct 4, 2014
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Glenn your in East Sussex a bit far and gromett thanks I may do it with a jig and framework

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I was going to suggest @Terry and tie it in with a trip to magnums with a shopping list

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
its not that difficult to cut either an angle grinder or jigsaw would be best i infilled the roof corugations with hard wood strips cut to the size of each dip ribbom mastic first then the wood then ribbon on top again
i finished of with a line of sika outside of that under the flange
its not difficult allow half a day each
remember to catch as much of the swarf when you cut or it will rust i cut from on top but ductape a catch pit of polythene under neath
if you use an angle grinder remember the sparks are a fire hazard and will mark even glass,there mnay be some pictures in the two links on my signatures below
just looked and theres only a picture of the shaped spacers in my blog about three pages back

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back