Free Member
Feb 8, 2013
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 100
Exp
just a year
We have an Eldis Autoquest 100 on a Peugeot Boxer 2.2 chassis and are quite happy with it. The only problem so far is the the rear roof vent rattles like mad at speeds over 50mph. I have tried packing it and making edge covers out of foam water pipe insulation which made no difference. I can't make it rattle when stationary, inside or outside. Has any Funster any ideas please? I don't want to travel at 48/49mph. I contacted the Camping and Caravaning Club regarding this rattle but as usual got no reply from them. I am begining to think it's a waste of money being in the C&C Club:censored:2

Regards
Dave and Val

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Sounds as if there is something loose inside the vent which rattles when theres an air flow. I wonder if the fly screen has become detached?

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I notice ours has a little 'spoiler' type thing fitted in front of both the roof vents.

I wonder if yours has the same? Maybe it's missing?

Good luck cos things like this annoy the hell out of me,

Let us know how you get on,

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We close over our flyscreen and blind about one third of the way over when travelling, cuts down the rattle.

Rgds
Bill

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Fiamma do a small spoiler that fits in front of the vent on the roof. It comes with screws but the best way I have found is to stick it on with Sikaflex. You can then run with the rear of the vent open to allow air distribution in the van on hot days or when closed it sends the airflow over the top of the vent. This problem normally occurs when the plastic vent becomes weak in the sun and allows it to reverberate. I have cured this problem a few times with the Fiamma spoilers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have an Eldis Autoquest 100 on a Peugeot Boxer 2.2 chassis and are quite happy with it. The only problem so far is the the rear roof vent rattles like mad at speeds over 50mph. I have tried packing it and making edge covers out of foam water pipe insulation which made no difference. I can't make it rattle when stationary, inside or outside. Has any Funster any ideas please? I don't want to travel at 48/49mph. I contacted the Camping and Caravaning Club regarding this rattle but as usual got no reply from them. I am begining to think it's a waste of money being in the C&C Club:censored:2

Regards
Dave and Val

Why. ???

would it not be more productive to contact Eldiss or the roof vent manufacturer.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The Heki vents in our Elddis rattled too!

A symptom of using caravan parts in a motorhome!

Tuggers don't get to hear the rattles when travelling!:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
another option.

Link Removed

Link Removed

the air flow is diverted over the vent so no terbulance effect to make it rattle and the added bonus of being able to leave the vent fully open when travelling.

Last edited:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Sounds like you have the Heki 2 which is intended for Caravans. They fitted our old Castaway with these and after much emailing they changed them for the Heki 3, the one with the wind up handle. If you look in the little book that comes with the heki 2 rooflights it says they are not suitable in the first few lines of the book.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I think snowbird has the answer, my Autoquest120 was the same, the vent vibrated at over 60mph, there were no loose parts it was the actual plastic louvre reverberating.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
The following is copied from the heki 2 installation manual:

1) Designed and recommended for trailed vehicles in which people do not travel. Technically
also suited to a vehicle in which people do travel, but as the rooflight is designed with free
airflow, there may be draughts, air noise and chattering blind mechanisms, which will not be
accepted as a product fault.
2) HEKI 2 suitable for max. 100 km/h (with Seitz spoiler up to 130 kmh).

So as said it is really best for caravans.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The following is copied from the heki 2 installation manual:

1) Designed and recommended for trailed vehicles in which people do not travel. Technically
also suited to a vehicle in which people do travel, but as the rooflight is designed with free
airflow, there may be draughts, air noise and chattering blind mechanisms, which will not be
accepted as a product fault.
2) HEKI 2 suitable for max. 100 km/h (with Seitz spoiler up to 130 kmh).

So as said it is really best for caravans.

Fit a Fiamma spoiler. About a tenner, job done and dusted. Otherwise turn the CD player up with Dire Straits on.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you look at the vent you will see that it is made up of 2 parts. An inner with slots in it and an outer more solid piece. When the outer becomes flexible it rattles on the lower inner part at speed. As I said earlier, you only have 2 solutions, first replace the whole vent cover, which is not always a fix as sometimes the aerodynamic shape of your van may be not so good or something on the roof is causing the turbulence, such as a sat dish. The second is a sure fix, and that is fit the wind deflectors. You can of course make your own and try it first from a piece of aluminium or stiff plastic stuck on with sikaflex.

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years

Regards
Dave and Val

Hi Dave and Val

I have an Elddis Autoquest 180 with the exact same problem. Here is the fix. You need a length of L shaped metal or plastic slightly longer than the vent, say 2 inches each side longer. The bottom of the L shape should be about half an inch wide and the longer part of the L shape about an inch or and inch and a half. I used some thin metal. You are basically trying to make a small aero foil like they use in Formula 1. You use some 3M tape on the bottom and glue the foil about 6 inches from the vent in front of it. I angled the longer bit slightly so that the wind flies straight over t he roof vent when you are going along. It works a treat. Rattle eradicated completely. Total cost about a quid. Let me know if you didn't understand and I will draw you a diagram. Cheers mike.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back