Roof type (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I'm trying to find out what type of roof burstner uses. Specifically for Burstner i542 elegance 2001. Regarding hail damage

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I doubt many 2001 vans would have a hail protection roof layer. My 2002 Hymer certainly didn't.

An acquaintance had a 2006 Carthago. It suffered hail damage to the roof (no hail protection). The insurance company wrote it off....too expensive to repair.

My 2010 Carthago has a hail protection layer. Think Carthago introduced hail protection to the roof, circa 2008.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
This is a cross section of the wall (roof is same)of our 2010 Burstner (cut out for the Bullfinch gas connector) shows about 1 - 1.5 mm thickness of aluminium on the "sandwich".
Our roof has a couple of very small 'dents' of unknown origin but I suppose it depends on the size of the hailstones? :eek:

IMG_20211001_155230.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Friends had a burstner. Got caught in hailstorm . 1 side of van and roof looked terrible. Absolutely peppered.

OP
OP
A
Oct 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Hail damage looks so bad. But I'm trying to be sure that the dents in my roof won't cause a problem later on, not about the aesthetics. I'm having trouble finding out the type of roof it has to figure that out

OP
OP
A
Oct 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
This is a cross section of the wall (roof is same)of our 2010 Burstner (cut out for the Bullfinch gas connector) shows about 1 - 1.5 mm thickness of aluminium on the "sandwich".
Our roof has a couple of very small 'dents' of unknown origin but I suppose it depends on the size of the hailstones? :eek:

View attachment 543335
Thanks! I hope I can assume a 2010 roof and a 2001 roof could be similar

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I wouldn't worry too much if it's just the roof..as long as there is no holes. But can't see hail piercing alloy.

Our old 2002 euromobil had a floating roof...two skins ...felt weird sort of not stuck down..but perfectly and safe dry

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The OP could remove one of the small roof lights to confirm roof construction. Besides, removing and resealing a roof light with new mastic, after 20 years service, could be considered as routine maintenance anyway.

However, judging by what the OP has already told us...."dents in the surface of the roof" it would appear the upper outer skin is most probably aluminium sheet. If the roof was protected by a none-deformable hail protection layer - no dents would be observed.

My Carthago roof has, what looks like, a thin layer of fibre glass screed above the upper aluminium sheet construction.

The dents in the roof might not actually lead to any leaks but just be aesthetically unpleasing. Perhaps a regular waxing of the roof would help prevent any ingress of water.

Suggest the OP contacts chris@reliancecms.uk with pics, who may be able to offer a solution. They are based in Chichester, West Sussex. Their staff have previously worked on mainly continental vans (Hymer, Chausson & Dethleffs).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back