LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Anyone got their registration or other markings on their roof in stickers that fix well?If so where did you buy them from please? Thinking of adding these but don't want them to come off the first time we wash the roof!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Wombles, I am just being nosey..... why do people have their registration numbers on their roofs please? TY.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had my registration on the roof of my previous van. I just got the chap who did the signage round the hospital to do me one, it was just like giant dymo tape. Unfortunately now I've retired I will need to pay for it so am getting a vehicle graphics chap to do it.

It seems worthwhile, a thief would change the number plates, but is unlikely to consider the roof.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
From the C&C web page.

Roof markings

Put the last six characters of your caravan’s CRiS number on your caravan roof using large stick-on letters that can be read by roadside cameras.

Register your caravan with the CRiS scheme

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, make sure that you are registered with The Caravan Registration and Identification Scheme (CRiS). This is a voluntary registration system that shows who is the owner of the caravan. All caravans since 1992 have been issued with a CRiS number, which is stamped onto the windows and chassis of the unit. The number, made up of 17 characters, can then be used to identify the caravan, and, as long as you have registered it, that you are the owner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Must admit to this being one of a number of 'identifying' points the Hymer is going to get in the very near future.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Does anyone think that the few Police helicopters we actually have around the UK are flying around looking for numbers on the roofs of motor-homes.

Helicopters don't work like Dixon of Dock green. They are generally used for serious incidents, such as at major accidents, fire arms incidents, terrorist threats, chasing "live" suspects on the ground, taking over on high speed car chases, crowd control, providing support to Royalty and dignitaries, etc etc....

Do you think when that they take off the Police monitors on-board are looking for passing motor-homes and typing the numbers that they observe on their roofs into the PNC....

You would do better by typing your number in 2 feet high letters down the sides of the van as that will be seen by more Plods on Patrol in Cars, vans and on bikes.

This is yet another example of folks being sold something they do not really need, just by using the fear factor......
A total waste of cash...... imho.......:doh:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
From the C&C web page.

Roof markings

Put the last six characters of your caravan’s CRiS number on your caravan roof using large stick-on letters that can be read by roadside cameras.

How many roadside cameras are positioned so high up that they are looking vertically down on a motorhome roof.... or any vehicle roof for that matter.

APN does not read your roof......, and even if an APN camera was mounted on high, it would still not read 2 foot high letters on your roof, as they are not number plates......:doh:

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
Does anyone think that the few Police helicopters we actually have around the UK are flying around looking for numbers on the roofs of motor-homes.

Helicopters don't work like Dixon of Dock green. They are generally used for serious incidents, such as at major accidents, fire arms incidents, terrorist threats, chasing "live" suspects on the ground, taking over on high speed car chases, crowd control, providing support to Royalty and dignitaries, etc etc....

Do you think when that they take off the Police monitors on-board are looking for passing motor-homes and typing the numbers that they observe on their roofs into the PNC....

You would do better by typing your number in 2 feet high letters down the sides of the van as that will be seen by more Plods on Patrol in Cars, vans and on bikes.

This is yet another example of folks being sold something they do not really need, just by using the fear factor......
A total waste of cash...... imho.......:doh:

Your sitting on the fence with this one, why don't you say what you really mean.:winky: (sorry could resist)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Lots of CCTV around nowadays so could be seen on that. Also if stolen thief might change number plates but probably wouldn't look on the roof or want the hassle of trying to remove it. All security measures are only a deterrent but hope that it makes it less attractive to a thief so they discount ours & move on to another one!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If someone really wants your van they will take it. All we can do is make it less attractive to a would be thief and try to increase the chances of getting it back.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
At the end of the day they are Insured or should be.

It might help if it was reported as stolen a d heading a certain way AND there just happened to be a sky cop up there at the time. I doubt the police would have the resource to send one up just to look around.

the

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Know that the police have other priorities but still an added deterrent. Anyone brave enough to admit that they have these:) & if they work well please let us know what make/where to buy from?

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
EBay
& they are on most HGV trailers nowdays

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have looked at loads online but minefield for this kind of thing & could be total waste of money if not tried & tested:frowny: Hoping for a few suggestions for good ones...

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Its only a simple vynil sticker just search
vynil sticker
Vynil roof sticker
Vynil post code sticker but don't use your post code

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Probably not cheap as they are designed for the horsey market: Broken Link Removed

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't really support the deterrent bit, how is the thief going to know that yours has the stickers on

More stickers on the side to tell him about them maybe?

then he might just remove them?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We have them on the roof or our van. They are discreet and don't detract from the appearance but just might help the plod find it if we are unfortunate enough to have it nicked. For what they cost (less than a tenner, if I remember correctly) I thought they were worth a punt. At the end of the day, it's your van and your money, do what you want, nowt to do with anybody else.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
These roof stickers go hand in hand with a tracking device so that if your vehicle is stolen it can then be tracked from a distance & the reason for having them is that if it is stolen & you inform the police they can track it from the air thus not being seen by the theifs.

Should you not have a tracker then at least you have some way of tracking it from the air as chances are the theifs have not thought of looking on the roof so again as long as it noticed within a reasonable time & the police informed they have a fast efficient way of locating your pride n joy.

Personally I am all for them & its a cheap simple way to help recover the vehicle.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I do get the sentiment aspect, but once nicked for me they can keep it

We lost 2 caravans to thieves and were really glad not to get them back, we were attached to them and there were no problems and loads of personal things inside, but even after one night with some piece of $hit sleeping in it do you really want it back

Even worse with a MH that has been driven by them as well

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
These roof stickers go hand in hand with a tracking device so that if your vehicle is stolen it can then be tracked from a distance & the reason for having them is that if it is stolen & you inform the police they can track it from the air thus not being seen by the theifs.

Should you not have a tracker then at least you have some way of tracking it from the air as chances are the theifs have not thought of looking on the roof so again as long as it noticed within a reasonable time & the police informed they have a fast efficient way of locating your pride n joy.

Personally I am all for them & its a cheap simple way to help recover the vehicle.

A good tracking device is the easiest and fastest way to get your van back if it is stolen. Not stickers on the roof. If you have a tracker Police can be immediately directed to the vehicle's location, and that means Police on the ground, if they are even available. Remember not just motor-homes use trackers, HGV's, Heavy Plant equipment, Mega value Sports cars, etc. all use these devices.

There are only about 35 Police helicopters covering the UK. More than half of them are on the ground at any one time.
So even if you do, or even if you don't have a GPS tracker, do you think the resource of a Police Chopper and the Police Officers on board is going to be looking for your lost/stolen motorhome, amongst all that is going on underneath their aircraft..

Police struggle with resources for major incidents, investigations of murders, terrorists, etc.

Does anyone truly believe some letters on the roof of your motorhome will be the priority of our stretched Police services.?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We have them on the roof or our van. They are discreet and don't detract from the appearance but just might help the plod find it if we are unfortunate enough to have it nicked. For what they cost (less than a tenner, if I remember correctly) I thought they were worth a punt. At the end of the day, it's your van and your money, do what you want, nowt to do with anybody else.
Defo with you on this, ya pays ya money and takes ya chance. It's just another way of possibly getting your belongings back and cost a next to nothing too :)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi wombles
If your going to Malvern send me your reg no colour and size you want I will knock one up for you f.o.c
Very kind offer which is much appreciated - will send you a pm:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back