roof plate (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Has anyone fitted checker plate or any other type of covering on there motor home roof?
I have a kayak that i secure to the roof rack which involves quite a lot of plodding about on said roof,although the roof is substantial enough to take my weight it does get slippery and scratched, also worried about dropping something so would like it protected
Tony

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Are you sure you have enough spare load capacity to sacrifice? A lighter treatment might be something by Sika/Sarnafil. They do materials for commercial flat roofs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i would agree with Brian that some for of sponge / rubber matting. i try to avoid walking on the roof if possible the concentrated load of toe / heel can over time cause delamination. if i must get on the roof i use my grandsons light weight ( foam ) wave / body board to shuffle around on, save the roof and my knees.:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Been on many a roof protected as you describe, 1mm aluminium check plate will only add a few KG, It all depends how much roof you want to cover of course, Sikaflex would be my preferred adhesive for a fiberglass roof
there are lots of anti slip paints and stick on products out there that will weigh a lot less though
G

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
weight is not a problem as a 4.5 tonn tag axle unit and the alloy tread plate is remarkably light,but not sure what thickness and if any unforeseen drawbacks could occur.
Im not looking to cover the whole roof but just to make a walking area around where the kayak goes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I have chequer plate in front of my roof box been on there years, no problems.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Have you thought about speed liner spray on
The use it to repair shower trays & line pick ups

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back