Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everyone
When I bought my Autotrail about 4 years ago the company who supplied the vehicle fitted two new skylights one in the bedroom and one in the lounge area.
Soon after getting my MH I had a 85cm Oyster satellite dish installed and they warned me to make sure the bedroom skylight was closed when using the dish as it may hit the skylight when the dish opens or closes.
With this in mind I just did not use the skylight until last year; after two openings the winding mechanism broke.

I took it to a company last November and asked them to repair it and they said they would have to replace the mechanism.
I can’t remember that exact cost but £150 comes to mind.
After 4 openings this year; on the 5th opening the mechanism failed again.

I’ve been in touch with the company who fitted it and they say it’s a regular problem with these Remis skylights.
I’ve said to them I keep paying out for the cost of replacement mechanisms every year.
I will be taking it to them this Friday to let them have a look at it.

Now as the skylight in the lounge area is the same make and size I don’t seem to have a problem with it winds up and down OK and has been used extensively.

Not being able to see how the mechanism fits and where it fits, I was even thinking there might be a problem with the housing or area where the mechanism fits.
I was wondering if this is a regular problem like the company says; some of you good people might of had this problem yourself and a possible solution to it.
Many Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Papa John thanks for your input but I don’t think that is the reason, although I stand to be corrected at some time in the future.
The skylight had been opened 4 times in a relatively short time scale so if it was lack of use then I would of assumed that the mechanism would of given way on the first attempt at opening.

But I’ll wait to hear what the company says this Friday. Thanks Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Not sure if its the same type but mine broke in Spain last year. I climbed on the roof and took the top face plate off, loads of screws. Inside it is the same principle as windscreen wipers, a coiled screw type tube that threads over a cog and winds in and out when operated. I found that the clips that hold in in place were broken, 2 of them anyway.
I managed to rob a couple from a place not quite as crucial and fit them in place of the broken ones. All fine now. Bit awkward to get at and fix but doable.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
For your information this is the type of skylight I have
Blind1.jpg
Blind2.jpg

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Looks the same to me.
Hi There I think you might be right I found a youtube video with a guy repairing the winding mechanism.

as it's been less than a year since they fitted it I'll wait and see what they say before I go messing about with it. Thanks Tony

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Yeah that's the one.
Theres a removable strip with loads of screws in. Remove that and you can then see the workings. I'm guessing that a clip near the centre has broke and allowing the outer sleeve to move with then allows the worm to go haywire. I just swapped a clip from further away from the centre and it's been fine since.
Only tricky bit is holding the cog in place while refiting the cover.
I found if you just fettle out the hole on the cover just slightly it allowed it to slip over the spindle without dislodgeing it.
Hope that helps.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Looks like you’ve got a solution,but for what it’s worth my bro had a similar problem with his,and the dealer had several attempts at sorting it.
On the Rapido,the sky light looks a well made item but I still feel the need to gently push it up with one hand as I wind the handle with the other,now it’s become a habit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
On the Rapido,the sky light looks a well made item but I still feel the need to gently push it up with one hand as I wind the handle with the other,now it’s become a habit.
Hi Podney since the first break, that is what I've been trying to do, gently push it up with one hand whilst turning the handle, but the only problem with that is that when fully retracted two small plastic arms come out to lock the skylight down, and I was worried about braking them off as there is no indication that the locks have freed when trying to turning the winding handle.
This seems such a crappy idea to me, I think I would rather have the push up vent type rather than this Remi rubbish.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
The lifting mechanism is a very weak design and not really fit for purpose.
I had to replace the mechanism on the roof light as it was broken when we bought our van but it’s been fine for the last 4 years.
The trick is to clean any imprint of rubber off the canopy and lightly smear the rubber seal with silicone grease to prevent the seal sticking to the canopy and always help the canopy up with your hand to take the weight off the mechanism otherwise another mechanism failure is a certainty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back