Roof light leaking (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2020
Berwick upon Tweed
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca
Exp
Cheers - sounds like a plan. I used the search facility on here and found a tread of someone replacing the whole inner roof. Good tips about being careful not to weaken the structure by removing too much at the or time. My simple tap test suggest some ingress around the other skylight but not too bad. Will reseal that one too and check again in a week. Also trying to get hold of a plan of the roof battens from the coach builder (CI).

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We dismantled our old America demountable camper ,mainly because of roof leaks----- one I created by fitting a sky light temporarily (to bring a high spec one into UK without being stolen in transit or paying duty!!!)
The only part I couldn't get off without damaging was the roof fridge vent that I had replaced a couple of years before-- with sikaflex----and a repair I had made at the over-the-cab part--also with a sikaflex type product!!!!
The rest of the components which were originally fitted with butyl tape --in 1997---were still weather proof and were easy to remove!!
There are other products as good as (or even better) than the butyl tape------ I used a tube of stuff years ago that I bought from a marine place in Norway to fix a leak, although it worked extremely well it could be messy to use--------- butyl tape is very easy and clean to use.
Another American camper we had had a bad leak on a window---- when I took it out I could see that the tape had dropped when the window was originally installed------ so it must be done properly!!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
A hair dryer to warm the sealer makes it easier to install or remove-------- I had to remove solar panels fitted with sikaflex type stuff and could only cut it off with a piano wire---- used like a cheese wire.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No need to worry yet about Temps but if you need to heat it up I usually put it on a radiator or if out side a bucket of hot water .....you mention tap test šŸ‘ easy way to find your Batten'sšŸ‘,they will run across the van ,driver's side to passenger side and they may have put a sq around skylight's.

Oct 8, 2020
Berwick upon Tweed
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca
Exp
Is there a better spend of Ā£15 than the subs for this Forum? Since buying our 16 year old van around 2 months ago Iā€™ve had helpful pointers and advice on Battery, disconnected reversing sensors (I had no idea what the discarded display I found under a seat actually was), Inverter, spare wheel, sealants and damp control treatment! Thanks to all!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2020
Berwick upon Tweed
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca
Exp
Thanks Terry - was a bit surprised at how thin that ā€˜roof-insulation-ceiling boardā€™ sandwich is. Certainly a place where I water gets in, will not dry. Trying to get a plan of the roof support layout from the manufacturer(CI) To help me play how best to probe, hopefully without having to rip too much out.

Oct 8, 2020
Berwick upon Tweed
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca
Exp
......feeling much happier now - a few days since sealing the skylight the ceiling around it already feels much better. Have boast a dampness meter which should arrive soon and based on what I find with that will determine whether or not I take the ceiling down to check the batons.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back