roof leak (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer b508
hi
has any one had this problem a after driving in to heavy rain a leak has just appeared high up one side about where the curtain rail goes across to the rear of the pull-down bed. I have checked under the beading the over the cab roof and found that some of the stainless screws underneath the trim has rotted away. anyone got any ideas how to fix:cry:

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Silkafix,most dealers should have it just tell them what it is for and they will give you the right number of silkafix.
Easy job but you need to clean off all old mastic and clean with white spirit then dry.
Dave

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi. I have used Polyseal 40 successfully on a couple of vans as well as sticking / sealing a complete roof off / new roof on job.
http://www.hodgsonsealants.com/
I bought mine from O'learys not far from the factory
you will find that a few screws will not come out and or round off as you try to undo them / just carefully grind -drill- or chop heads off with a Sharpe chisel on any that you cannot undo.Slide a scraper (hd paper type ) under the bead to cut through the remainder of the mastic/ sealant holding on the bead.Be careful as it bends easy,clean both van and bead, reseal and reassemble. :thumb: If the leak is on a straight join on your van not covered by a strip/bead you can cut/clean off any sealant you can get to mask up a few mm either side and apply sealant over join then smooth off with a wet finger, remove tape. Let it dry then paint if required.CHECK all your roof while up there,be careful that you do not place ladders etc on the van sides as to damage them.A small scaffold may be required.
ALL THE ABOVE ADVISE IS GIVEN ON THE ASSUMPTION THAT YOU HAVE THE DIY SKILLS/TOOLS TO DO THE JOB- :ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
psyfried
Oct 30, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer b508
Hi. I have used Polyseal 40 successfully on a couple of vans as well as sticking / sealing a complete roof off / new roof on job.
http://www.hodgsonsealants.com/
I bought mine from O'learys not far from the factory
you will find that a few screws will not come out and or round off as you try to undo them / just carefully grind -drill- or chop heads off with a Sharpe chisel on any that you cannot undo.Slide a scraper (hd paper type ) under the bead to cut through the remainder of the mastic/ sealant holding on the bead.Be careful as it bends easy,clean both van and bead, reseal and reassemble. :thumb: If the leak is on a straight join on your van not covered by a strip/bead you can cut/clean off any sealant you can get to mask up a few mm either side and apply sealant over join then smooth off with a wet finger, remove tape. Let it dry then paint if required.CHECK all your roof while up there,be careful that you do not place ladders etc on the van sides as to damage them.A small scaffold may be required.
ALL THE ABOVE ADVISE IS GIVEN ON THE ASSUMPTION THAT YOU HAVE THE DIY SKILLS/TOOLS TO DO THE JOB- :ROFLMAO:
terry

Thanks Terry will have look at the roof tomorrow how do i refit new screws

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back