Roof hatch leaking (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
I have a roof hatch leaking in my 6 month old Adria Motorhome and am worried about water mark and or damage to the roof. The dealership is closed due to lockdown. I have temporarily sealed all round the frame on the roof with gaffer tape and sloped the Motorhome so that water does not lay there and it has stopped it for now. I fear when the tape lifts I’ll have to dry it all out and blob sealant everywhere until I can get it to the dealer. Bearing in mind it’s outside and very low temperatures can anyone suggest a suitable quick setting silicone sealant please.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Personally id just fix it myself quickly.
Pop off the plastic trim inside , undo 8 screws lift of hatch clean sealant and reseal properly. Saves any damage being done.
And ay least you know then its done properly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
That’s all very well if you have the knowledge and the confidence. Which I don’t have. Another case of spending thousands of pounds and the makers can’t even get the simplest of jobs right. Bring back apprenticeships ah the good old days. No antiques road show in 50 years time everything will have fallen apart 😱😱😭😭

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jigsaw2
Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks guys. I did contact the dealer before lockdown and it was booked in for repair but lockdown put it all on hold. So it should be “on the system” so to speak. I accept that Northernraider’s solution is the best one but I confess to being nearer 80 than 70 years old and going up on the roof once with some tape and/or silicon is all I really want to do to protect my £80k+ Motorhome for a month or two. Going up and down the ladder to work at both sides to remove it and the necessity of keep getting on and off the ladder and threading my way between hatches, solar panels, satellite dome and tv aerial to get at the hatch knowing the slightest stumble will do me and/or the Motorhome serious damage is something I want to avoid if at all possible. If the tape lifts I’d like to clean it up and smarm it all over with an appropriate silicon sealant until the dealer can clean it all up and do the job properly. I might add that it was dripping water in not just a damp patch!

Upvote 0

Andyfozz

Free Member
Mar 26, 2020
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
The service side of the business should still be open for emergency repairs. I would try contacting them and see what they say. I would also contact the manufacturer informing them of the issue. When it is repaired and its a simple fix, re seal with flexible sealant. Make sure they do a habitation check for you and confirm no damp has got in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jigsaw2
Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
I’ve contacted them as our local garage is still open for car/van repairs but as their service centre is for “leisure vehicles only” they are “non-essential“ and the workshops must close. A few years ago I would have taken it out and re sealed it but as you get older you lose your flexibility and working bent over or kneeling is only viable for a few minutes hence my wish for a quick temporary “bodge”. So bearing in mind the temperatures what sealant should I use?

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi I have repaired this type of things myself. The repair is fairly simple and you can do all the work from underneath (you cannot do the job from above). As your motor home is under warranty I think it is best doing what you can to keep it dry. It can be advisable to remove the flyscreen/blind to prevent water damage and discoloration. This usually just pulls off (revealing the screws mentioned above). If you do decide to do a temporary repair undo the screws and push out the unit, clean away the old sealant, clean the surrounding aperture and replace with new sealant, Pull into position and replace the screws, do not over tighten and try to screw down evenly.

I have found many builders use labour that hat does not have the experience to do the job properly. It is not really possible to seal using a sealant without removing the unit, smearing sealant around can make things worse. Inform the dealer of your concerns and take photos to use as evidence in case of a dispute.

Good luck

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Just to add I use

Puraflex 40 High Modulus PU Sealant & Adhesive 300ml White​

only £5.28 from toolstation. will work at these temperatures.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jigsaw2
Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks for your advice Catpirate. I have removed the blind /flyscreen which was soaking wet but has dried out fine with no staining. There are no obvious fixing screws visible from underneath so I fear it may be screwed into the roof from above and I’ve covered all that with gaffer tape which is holding at the moment! I’ve got a bucket and dehumidifier running underneath the hatch so I’m going to leave well alone but I would still like to buy some silicon in case I have to do another bodge

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Do you know the make of hatch/skylight? It is a Heki and what is the size E.G. 400x400

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jigsaw2
Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
No I don’t unfortunately. It’s a 400 x 400 and a cheap and nasty one with a winder that only works on one side so that when up it’s a bit lopsided. I must tell you also that as we live in a flat my motorhome is 25 miles away in my mates front garden so I can’t legally go to it to find out.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Ok, I think you are doing the best to minimise damage to the motor home caused by this leak. Best not to worry to much, and just do what you feel capable of. If the leak is above a bed may be good to remove the mattress. Remember it is still under warranty and the supplier is liable, your requirement is to minimise any damage.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Please tell us all how it ends

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jigsaw2
Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
Really appreciate your help and advice Catpirate. It couldn’t have come at a worse time because even driving to it to check on the tape or empty the dehumidifier is a debatable “essential journey”. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
Getting there owner since 2021
I'd personally use OB1 from Screwfix. I've been involved in construction my whole career and this stuff is very good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jigsaw2
Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks DMC65. That looks good stuff and to be able to use it when wet makes it even more so. I was hoping not to have to use an adhesive/sealant as I’m just going to “blob” it all round the join and somebody (the dealer!) has to get the hatch out and clean it and the roof up and re seal it.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
The dealer will not thank you if you bodge this using a mastic adhesive...devil of a job to remove that stuff.
If it's a very temporary repair, I'd use silicone...easily removed later.
Permanent repair and the frame should be removed, everything cleaned up, then bedded on a non-setting mastic.

Allen

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jigsaw2
Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks Allen. My thoughts entirely. I’m on good terms with my dealer who always do their best for me so wouldn’t like to antagonise them. Shame because the OBI stuff has other useful attributes I need. I’m at the moment hoping my gaffer tape has remained stuck down so I don’t have to do anything yet.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
No I don’t unfortunately. It’s a 400 x 400 and a cheap and nasty one with a winder that only works on one side so that when up it’s a bit lopsided. I must tell you also that as we live in a flat my motorhome is 25 miles away in my mates front garden so I can’t legally go to it to find out.
I would definitely do the journey as its essential to save your van from damage.

Take a tarp and more duct tape..

It is an easy job but the roof must be bone dry before you start.
I'd cover it over and wait for the dealer because if there is any damp damage they will have to repair the lot... probably wriggle out of it if you have a go yourself

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jigsaw2
Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks guys. It’s encouraging to hear you recommending gaffer tape as that’s what’s keeping it bone dry at the moment and will no doubt continue to do so for a while before it lifts, but for how long? I while yet I’m hoping. It’s definitely the frame to roof seal that’s leaking so I don’t need to cover the whole hatch. I’ve thought about a roof tarp but it would be putting downward loads on Sat Dome and tv aerial and I would have to secure it to parts of the Motorhome and in any wind there would be movement of the ties and maybe chafe marks on the paintwork that would not be repaired under warranty. But you’re right, it is an essential journey to make sure that the tape stays stuck and the seal is watertight so I’ll check it on Friday ( first dry day) and weekly thereafter.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Personally I wouldn’t seal, especially when wet, and definitely wouldn’t use a tarp. Tarps aren’t water proof, and they are quite abrasive. I would use tape as you have, and park van so water run off as quick as possible possibly even use your levelling ramps.
If you are happy to get on the roof I would stick carpet protection roll over the area. Its about £10 for a 10m roll and is 1-1.2 meters wide. It’s tacky and fully waterproof. It would be similar to using cling film. But the area would need to be dry at time of application.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jigsaw2
Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks Landy Andy. Seems like I’m doing right at the moment with gaffer tape and I already have the Motorhome on levelling (unlevelling!) blocks to ensure the water doesn’t “pool” around the hatch. The carpet protection stuff sounds a great idea, would never have thought of that. I only have about 3 ins clearance around 3 sides of the hatch due to solar panel, electrical trunking and the side of the Motorhome so it would have to stick to the roof well as I wouldn’t have room to tape it, well it would be tight anyway. I could dry the area with a hot air gun if I could just get a frost free or dry day or two so it sounds very much like plan B should the existing tape come unstuck. Meanwhile I’ll source some of that carpet protection stuff. Am sneaking over Friday so will know if I’ve got some breathing space or must revert to plan B immediately.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jigsaw2
Apr 11, 2018
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme
Exp
Since 1990
I’ve been over to the Motorhome. The good news is the gaffer tape is still stuck down and there is no sign of water around the inside of the hatch. The not so good news is there is a fair amount of water on the floor of the shower under the hatch. When I went to empty the dehumidifier standing in the shower, there was little water in it and the water catchment area and drain hole into the reservoir was covered over with ice crystals. I suspect and hope that the water removed from the air has run out all over the floor instead of into the reservoir. I’ve removed the dehumidifier, mopped up the water and am currently relying on the gaffer tape (and the vaccine rollout). Watch this space!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back