frosty

Free Member
Mar 5, 2010
worthing
Funster No
MH
motor home
Exp
hello can any one help please,i dont have a roof rack and cant realy afford one,so was thinking of screwing my flamma box to the roof?i am worried about doing this,but i understand that flamma do a fiting kit that screws on to the roof and they say you dont even have to use mastic to seal the screw?the box i have is a flamma ultra 3, other than water getting in to the roof im worried about the size screws to use?any advice would be very helpfull,regards si frosty, my motorhome is a CI

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Personaly I would NEVER screw anything to the roof,with the constant movement its only a matter of time before you get water ingress.If you must have the extra storage go for a backbox,its much easier to get in and out of without always climbing on the roof.

Upvote 0

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
We bought a van with a roof box allready on, left it for 2 trips then got rid of it and noticed the difference straight away in performance / fuel economy both much better without it. put the box on the back if you have to but deffinately not worth putting on the roof.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Frosty, ours is stuck and screwed :thumb: never screw anything to your van without sealing it :thumb: The back box would get my vote :thumb: if possible, if only because the roof-box knocked 4 mpg off (used to get 31 mpg now only 27 mpg less 10mph off top speed :cry:)
terry

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
hello can any one help please,i dont have a roof rack and cant realy afford one,so was thinking of screwing my flamma box to the roof?i am worried about doing this,but i understand that flamma do a fiting kit that screws on to the roof and they say you dont even have to use mastic to seal the screw?the box i have is a flamma ultra 3, other than water getting in to the roof im worried about the size screws to use?any advice would be very helpfull,regards si frosty, my motorhome is a CI

Hi Frosty,

As you are in Worthing why not drop by one weekday and ask Glenn or Ian for some advice, we have roof rails for Fiamma boxes etc.

Peter

Upvote 0

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
just put my Omnistor carry all 150 rear box in the classifieds!:Smile: PM me if interested

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
No sealant? not a chance. for a few quid for a tube I would deffinately use it. You can use a fitting kit without rails though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

frosty

Free Member
Mar 5, 2010
worthing
Funster No
MH
motor home
Exp
thanks for replys,i have been reading the thread about fixing solar panals to the roof and some are saying to use sikaflex512 ? do you think sikaflex is strong enough to stick my box brackets,then bolt the box to the brackets?or when im doing 60mph will the box be landing on the bonnet of the car behind me,regards frosty

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
thanks for replys,i have been reading the thread about fixing solar panals to the roof and some are saying to use sikaflex512 ? do you think sikaflex is strong enough to stick my box brackets,then bolt the box to the brackets?or when im doing 60mph will the box be landing on the bonnet of the car behind me,regards frosty

I have silkafex 512 holding my dome on. I was really nervous about it but, touch wood it seems ok. However a top box would weigh more and especially when its loaded.

if you give it a try, let me know so I dont follow you.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have 3 solar panels with the brackets stuck down with Sikaflex and they have been up there for a few years now with no problem.
I think a topbox would have more turbulance,so would not risk it.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Frosty, you will need to screw / bolt as well as stick :thumb: Sikaflex does not stay stuck to plastic :Eeek: In deed most leaks occur when plastic meets ali panels or roof lights.To get over this on my self build I used both Sikaflex (to stick ) and GP Mastic to stay sealed. :thumb: By the time the sikaflex gives up (may be a couple of years down the line :ROFLMAO: ) the GP mastic will still seal the job and quite a bit of force is needed to lift either roof box or sky lights :thumb:
You can buy ali sheets quite reasonably priced and stick a large sheet over any holes made after taking the roof box off :thumb: stick straight on top of existing roof ,it will also help strengthen it :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back