Roof bars fitted to a van conversion (1 Viewer)

kravist

Free Member
Sep 26, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2015
Has anyone on MHF had any experience of fitting roof bars to a van conversion?

In June I bought a set of three Ulti Roof Bars to fit to our van in order to carry a top box for additional storage of large outdoor items (inflatable awning, chairs, table & patio mat) to save on possible wear, tear and damage from these items being carried in the living area.

The roof bars come with the bespoke fittings for a Renault Master (our base vehicle). Upon delivery I set to installing the bars and immediately realised from the installation instructions that access was required to the inside of the roof so as to used the accompanying bolts to secure the bars. Obvious problem, all the roof lining and cabinetry was in the way of what on a straight van would be a simple affair. BUGGER and other choice expletives very quickly followed.

I then phoned Choose Leisure at Canterbury where we bought the van from and explained the problem. Whilst helpful they could not take our van in to have a look at options until Sept. So last week in the van went for them to have a gander. Thirty minutes later the prognosis was that without taking out the entire habitation fittings (wardrobe, shower/toilet cubicle, high level kitchen cabinets and roof lining) the bars could not be installed. This would entail approx 2 weeks work at the cost of around £1500.00 GREAT, back to the drawing board.

So having been thinking about the issue I have an idea (wife hangs her head in despair, family and friends look away awkwardly, strangers laugh). The Renault designated fixing points on the roof consist of a series of pre-positioned holes along the sides of the roof. Just to the outside of these holes is what appears to be the welded seam where the side panels are joined to the roof panel. This seam stands proud and upright (like a good soldier should) along the length of the roof and rises up from the bodywork by 20mm, see image.

If I had six metal blocks made that could be fixed to the designated roof bar fixing points using some form of blind void fixing such as rubber Riv-Nuts and also to the proud weld seam using standard nyloc nut and bolts, I could then fit the roof bars to the metal blocks.

Any thoughts would be appreciated (I like being laughed at).

Attachments

• DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0052.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 69

Bootneck1664

Free Member
Jul 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Renault Master 2010
Exp
Hi there, did you ever solve your roof bars issue without stripping the lining?
I have the same problem now, surely there are other options before stripping, welding?
Cheers, Neil.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Can't see why the existing holes couldn't be fitted externally with rivnuts & then the bars could be used as intended & without any need to access inside?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Can't see why the existing holes couldn't be fitted externally with rivnuts & then the bars could be used as intended & without any need to access inside?
exactly what I would do

Bootneck1664

Free Member
Jul 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Renault Master 2010
Exp
Do you think this would be strong enough with all the upwards pull whilst driving, with a kayak on top.
Was just querying if the bodywork alone would hold out?

Bootneck1664

Free Member
Jul 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Renault Master 2010
Exp
Do you think the bodywork would be strong enough alone with all the upwards forces while carrying a kayak?
This does sound promising and less invasive to my nice conversion..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Do you think this would be strong enough with all the upwards pull whilst driving, with a kayak on top.
Was just querying if the bodywork alone would hold out?
only if you use top quality fixings installed using the pneumatic tool. Not as I have seen the soft metal ones compressed with a pair of special pliers. Those are so soft they soon come loose. done properly it is a permanent fixture

I61w

Free Member
Jul 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Jayco Rm19.1
With bonding adhesives being so good these days surely a mixture og adhesive and mechanical fixing would be sufficiant to hold the roof rack in place securely.
Did you ever install the rack and how?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back