LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have 2 aerials. One is a mast that you need to fit to side of van when you stop and the other one is a small round thing with a point on it on the roof. My Q is

I had assumed the mast may be used in difficult to pick up a signal areas and the wee round one on top for normal use. We can only get a signal by using the mast. The aerial on top doesn't even pick up 1 single channel. Does this wee round one pull out, surely you don't need to take a large set of ladders to extend it or do you think the thing is just faulty and that's why the mast aerial is there.

Each day I learn something new thanks to all you wonderful people.!

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks! Gosh I have no idea, it never even crossed my mind. There is a wee white box inside that says digital and the aerial goes into it. I am just leaving for work now so will post a couple of photos when I get home.

This site is sure addictive. So much reading and learning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
The round flying saucer type are notoriously poor at picking up signals. The white box you describe sounds like the amplifier belonging to the round status aerial. Any aerial is capable of receiving à digital signal however usually a stronger signal is required for digital. We have a round status type which will work in good signal areas and also a directional aerial that we put up on a pole if reception is poor. The alternative is a good book:roflmto:

John

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, no such thing as a digital aierel, they all work or don't :winky:
Is the round one coupled up ? Chances are the previous owners disconnected it and used the directional one which will get a signal in poor signal areas-the Status round flying saucer type should work very well in good signal areas:winky:
Terry

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i disagree with their not being a digital ariel my old status couldnt pick up anything when i upgraded it to the newer 1 np great signal

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
i disagree with their not being a digital ariel my old status couldnt pick up anything when i upgraded it to the newer 1 np great signal

Your disagreement has been noted ::bigsmile: you have fallen for the marketing trap ::bigsmile:My house Ariel is about 15 yrs old and picks up a brilliant signal and my Status directional van Ariel is 7 yrs old does the same-both may I add before Digital tv :winky:
Terry

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
The 'wee white box' will have an On/Off switch. Obviously make sure it's switched on. Also there is a Hi/Lo switch. While not really knowing what this does I have found that in some areas it works on Hi and in others Lo. I'm sure it's not for hills/valleys - that would be silly :ROFLMAO:

Wyn

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The White Box.

It has a red LED, if it's not lit you'll get nothing. That poor quality aerial will not work without it's amplifier turned on. It will work well in a strong signal area. I replaced mine with a directional one which means I have to swing it every time we park.

Half the troubles with aerials is poorly made joints in the plugs. So often the prats that fit them do no solder the solder type connector. They works for a few years then the tarnish takes over.

I may as well add my vote: There is no such thing as a digital aerial. The carrier from the transmitter is the same for analogue and digital. What it is carrying is different.

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
well when the change over happened her my house ariel got naff all instead i used the sat dish

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
As has been said, there is no such thing as a digital aerial

Digital Aerials was a ploy used by unscrupulous traders to rip people off and boy, did they go to town and rip people off! :Doh: OAPs were specifically targetted and more often than not, fell victim to this ploy - bloody criminal!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
yep, what they really should be called is digital strength arials, as poorer arials will struggle in poor reception areas. I have got the lift up arial on the RV, but it sometimes struggles, so we have a standard £25 pole arial for most of the time. When I arrive on site, I ride round to find any others with directional arials, and note the direction. If I am early, and there are no others, I do have a meter, but usually just end up with the standard me an the missis, shouting left a bit etc. I do notice tho, most of the newer carvans now use the directional type status, rather than the flying saucer one. It looks similar, but is more of a rear drop shape.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
well when the change over happened her my house ariel got naff all instead i used the sat dish

It was not a simple unplug analogue, plug in digital at the transmitter. They ran both together for a while and I think some transmitters got dropped hoping people would move to FreeSat.

Due to all these transmitter changes it is possible you need a different band aerial in exceptional cases.

Here, Winter Hill, digital was quite poor for a year until they turned off analogue and fed more power into the digital transmitter.

As usual, do it as cheaply as possible.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Here is what I have in addition to the flying saucer on the roof. Not sure which lead goes where so after trying all different positions in the white box I gave up.

Not worth the hassle putting mast aerial up for one night stopovers. Will just need to use an inside aerial I guess. Was trying to save a little space. :Smile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
The white box is the amplifier for the flying saucer, one of the white leads should go to the aerial, the other to the socket that you plug the TV into, I am assuming that the black lead is the 12V power supply.

The black box is a signal finder, if using a directional aerial you would have this plugged in in line and turn aerial until the max number of lights show ie strongest signal .

Just a thought, do you have more than one outlet socket for plugging in a tv aerial? if so maybe only one is connected

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I can only see one outlet. I have followed the aerial through to the roof. maybe its disconnected up there. I have tried an indoor booster aerial and it works so we will just use that for short trips.

Thanks to all for your replies!

Sandra

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back