Roof access method (1 Viewer)

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Due to lack of any other options at all we have to park partially under some trees. We've managed to get a slot away from some palms which droozled sap all over the roof, but with the summer heat in southern Spain we are picking up a lot of pollen and small seeds which stick to the surface of various mastic joints when they're hot . As a result we need to get "on top" of this so we're looking for any suggestions re access. There's a couple of car washes with gantries around, but none of them are really high enough to give us good acess all over (2.95 m roof line) . Best option to date are the tall step ladders from home (we don't have a ladder mounted on the back) but was wondering what everyone else does when on longer trips?? Any ideas / suggestions / tips, please?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I can get out of my skylight above the pull down bed on my hymer :)

Like this?
20180826_182626.jpg

That's a 400mm flip-up roof light... I was meerkat'ing to see how many people were leaving Silverstone campsite when it looked like the racing was going to be rained off (it was made official about 4 hours later).

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
20180917_152751.jpg
suggestions / tips, please?
In the longer term fit a fixed ladder.. saves having to carry one about..
Not had any issues with people tampering with it to date... that was my only concern when i got it..
Along with a reversing camera it was my first job when i got the van.(y)
Andy...

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Like this?
View attachment 255989

That's a 400mm flip-up roof light... I was meerkat'ing to see how many people were leaving Silverstone campsite when it looked like the racing was going to be rained off (it was made official about 4 hours later).

Very similar yes, although I’m a bit shorter......:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I bought one of those telescopic 3 mtr ladders, came with its own carry case and shoulder strap. I didnt think of carrying it in the van as its quite a heavy beast, and I learnt the hard way of how to put it down, as it took the skin off me fingers:eek:.
Will have to have a rethink now and weigh it, as it would be useful I guess.
@Burgo see if you can access the roof via a skylight.
If all else fails, you may have to use one of those culprit trees and climb up it to get on the roof, Tarzan Style :D
Les

OP
OP
Burgo
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
I bought a telescopic lsdder from the Spanish site of ManoMano at but its also on the UK site as well: . Chuffed to nuts with and just tie a length of old pool noodle across the tread at roof / yawning cassette height to spread the weight & pad it out. It too came with a storage bag and fits neatly in huge garage. Recommended.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I've got better things to do when out in the van (even if that's nothing).
At home, I use a 4m ladder. I like a bit to be above the level I'm climbing to and am not sure that a 3m one would be long enough, anyway, once at the correct angle. You need to protect the van from an aluminium ladder to stop it marking the paintwork.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you are away on holiday, the last thing I'd be thinking about is washing the van... Do it when you get back and don't be so precious :p :D
Depends how long the holiday is:)

I did mine 3 times when I was in Spain and Portugal.
9 months can accumulate a lot of dirt

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I can get out of my skylight above the pull down bed on my hymer :)

Janie goes out the roof light, we got sap on our roof in Portugal parking under trees, we used some anti bacterial cleanser on a cloth to get it off. (y)

I would go on the roof, but I make all sorts of excuses like the holes too small, I'm too heavy, ;) then I remembered the last time she made me go up high, :eek: and I'm scared of heights. :LOL: Bob.
IMG-37238639e8cf5a2c93480ef31c45cee3-V.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I found a few places in Spain where i could park near a wall or high fence and use that to get on roof.

One of the things I wanted on my next van was a rear ladder and thankfully toby has one.
It means I can get up and down to clean roof and solar panels with ease. I'm now considering making some sort of frame so I can angle my panels to the sun if need be :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back