Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
image.jpeg
Just another week to go before we come to the end of our 8 week tour and arrive at our house in Spain. Today in Rome, fantastic, try to visit if you can, it's well worth it. I would say however, August is not the best time very hot today but other than that wow! Off to see the Pope's house tomorrow :)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
View attachment 122117 Just another week to go before we come to the end of our 8 week tour and arrive at our house in Spain. Today in Rome, fantastic, try to visit if you can, it's well worth it. I would say however, August is not the best time very hot today but other than that wow! Off to see the Pope's house tomorrow :)

Is the Coliseum fenced off or can one still access the insides & lower levels ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We are off to Rome for a week in February.

I love the place

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
(y) Fantastic City we love it.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I guess it's the same with every tourist city, the army all over with guns at the ready with van loads of police, reminds you all the time of the terrorist threat. Spoils it a bit.

Deleted User
Where did you stop in Rome we are hoping to be there in the middle of October, after Bavaria and travelling down through Italy, any tips would be welcome.

Are you driving back to Spain? we are catching the ferry from Civitivechia to Barcelona and then on to Portugal.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I went to Rome 3 weeks ago, absolutely loved the history and ruins. I didn't enjoy being hassled at very corner by a certain ethnic group approaching me and selling selfie sticks, roses, water and umbrellas. It really spoiled a lovely holiday. I recommend a trip to the Domus Romane, best tour of the week.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
That place in the background will look good when it's finished.

Don't miss The Pantheon.

Where did you stop in Rome we are hoping to be there in the middle of October..

On our last trip we used and took the local commuter train service into the centre. Open in October, supermarket nearby.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Where did you stop in Rome we are hoping to be there in the middle of October, after Bavaria and travelling down through Italy, any tips would be welcome.

Are you driving back to Spain? we are catching the ferry from Civitivechia to Barcelona and then on to Portugal.

We are staying at:
Area Soliola Roma parking
Via Appia Antics 32
00100 Roma

It's on Camper Contact number 19913
Not cheap....but this is Rome.
€20 per night plus €4 if you want electricity.
Water no problem (but the sign says not drinking) toilet dump all good.
If you put the address into sat have it takes you to the door. BUT, no signs, it is behind the Ford garage, look out or you will miss it and it's a bugger to turn round and come back.

Woman in office very helpful.
Out side bus stop to Colosseum just a ten minute ride, €1.50 trip, before you get the bus, turn right out of gate about 100mts on right is a cycle shop, buy the but ticket. €1.50 give you 100 minutes on bus from the time you validate it on the bus.

Hope that helps.
We are on the ferry to Spain on Thursday, landing Friday, then over to near Seville.

Anything else, just ask.

Reactions: DBK

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@Billy23
If you're still there & have the time I thoroughly recommend
Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini
It really defies description but basically its what they found under the streets of Rome, updated with modern technology and a sound & light presentation as you walk through the cellar excavations... Makes sense of, and brings all the archeology of Rome together.
Its brilliant.
Anyone else planning a trip to Rome, make sure you make time for this - I assure you won't regret it.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We enjoyed Rome and it's especially good to explore on a Sunday as traffic is banned in a lot of the more interesting bits

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are on the ferry to Spain on Thursday, landing Friday, then over to near Seville.

Anything else, just ask.
Is that the same ferry/company which does Barcelona to Sardinia? I would be interested in anything you can see about folk carrying dogs on it. :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are staying at:
Area Soliola Roma parking
Via Appia Antics 32
00100 Roma

It's on Camper Contact number 19913
Not cheap....but this is Rome.
€20 per night plus €4 if you want electricity.
Water no problem (but the sign says not drinking) toilet dump all good.
If you put the address into sat have it takes you to the door. BUT, no signs, it is behind the Ford garage, look out or you will miss it and it's a bugger to turn round and come back.

Woman in office very helpful.
Out side bus stop to Colosseum just a ten minute ride, €1.50 trip, before you get the bus, turn right out of gate about 100mts on right is a cycle shop, buy the but ticket. €1.50 give you 100 minutes on bus from the time you validate it on the bus.

Hope that helps.

Anything else, just ask.
That is where we stayed to, back in March this year. It was about 14Euros then so probably cheaper out of season. Very convenient for Rome with busses running from outside the site every 20 minutes.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
That is where we stayed to, back in March this year. It was about 14Euros then so probably cheaper out of season. Very convenient for Rome with busses running from outside the site every 20 minutes.

Funny really, the woman in the office at the site said "stay on the bus (118) as far as it goes" , well we thought that the bus would stop at the end of the route and waited.........and ended back at the site. What a pair of twits! Go it the second time though.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Is that the same ferry/company which does Barcelona to Sardinia? I would be interested in anything you can see about folk carrying dogs on it. :)

@DBK
I checked once I was on the ferry.

You book, when you get to port, although you may have printed out you ticket, you have to go to the office once you have parked and they will give you your ticket for the MH with the cabin ticket you tell them about the dog, they give you a key for the kennel. The kennel is on the 11th deck, you may NOT take the dog on any other deck or your cabin. On 11th deck is a café for fast food, lots of tables and chairs with some sun beds, so you can stay with your dog for as long as you like.

The boat is NOTHING like Brittany ferries, it is quite run down and desperately needs a refit. Let's put it this way, if it was a plane.......you would get off.:LOL:

Same boat goes to Sardinia then onto Rome.

We took kettle and bits with us.

Hope that helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back