"Romans" been roaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Got a young`ish couple staying here, who have been on a Metal Detecting week end on a farm not far from us..

About 20 in the club ..... but the farmer would not let them camp on his land, so a lot are in lay-byes and one staying here...

Asked if they could go over the bottom of the field.... So I said yes as long as they fill the holes in and leave it tidy...

Went down to see how they were doing..... and both had a box of "Roman Coins" and what looked like rusty clip things.... (Did not look like coins to me just weird shaped metal things and some were big and round and heavy....)

Thought all them Roman people were mainly down in Dorset... did not realise they came this far North... :doh:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Got a young`ish couple staying here, who have been on a Metal Detecting week end on a farm not far from us..

About 20 in the club ..... but the farmer would not let them camp on his land, so a lot are in lay-byes and one staying here...

Asked if they could go over the bottom of the field.... So I said yes as long as they fill the holes in and leave it tidy...

Went down to see how they were doing..... and both had a box of "Roman Coins" and what looked like rusty clip things.... (Did not look like coins to me just weird shaped metal things and some were big and round and heavy....)

Thought all them Roman people were mainly down in Dorset... did not realise they came this far North... :doh:

Don't you remember hiding that box of coins when the tax inspector was sent up to see you by Julius Ceasar? The clips held some of your IOUs together....

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Are they worth owt? If they are Mo, the land owner should have a cut. :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Plenty of Romans up this way, remember Watling Street, Stafford was on a Roman road to Chester, Manchester and York. All important Roman settlements.
You'd better get detecting quick, you might have the second Staffordshire hoard just sitting there.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
And this is the lovely lady. Was talking to her and her hubby yesterday, complete with cockerpoo puppy called Florin!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Most Roman coins aren’t worth anything, if some clean up and are pristine maybe, or if you find gold ones, the other bits are probably strap-ends, parts of buckles/brooches and pins. Look out for glass & pottery too!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I am on the A5 Watling st.. Never found anything here, except lots of old broken bottles..
They must have stopped here because this is next door to me...

158358706.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Probably left there by the famous Romans Plonkerius and Idiostices