obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
On the motorway in southern France heading towards Italy and a lorry flicked a stone up and cracked the windscreen.:swear2:
It is, of course, a Euramobil A class which now has a 2cm crack slap bang in the centre.
Had a chat to Autoglass who thinks it should be repairable, we are now on a camp site near Beziers trying to arrange either a call out or an appointment at a windscreen centre.

Rollocks!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We had similar earlier in the year the truck in front was carrying building rubble when a large chunk dropped off. We both ducked as we saw it approach. It hit the screen and disappeared over the top. When we stopped I ran my hand over the area and could not find anything. Must have hit with a flat side rather than a pointed bit.

Hope you get it sorted its a big crack to get repaired but with the glues they use you should not see it after a few days.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Ouch. Rollocks seems rather mild in the circumstances. Hope it can be repaired not replaced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We got a chip(LH side, low, on RHD) in our rather expensive N+B Arto windscreen. Autoglass came to Canterbury P+R, confirmed repairable(which I knew) and did it in 20 mins. They said it will be structurally sound although still visble.

Nothing to pay and they billed direct to Safeguard Insurance, with no excess, as it was a repair not a replacement(which would have been excess of £75 on a £3,500? screen)

Well pleased

Geoff

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Had a stone hit our screen on our Burstner two years ago from a guy strimming in the centre of a duel carriageway. As it was in the mot zone a new screen was required. Cost us £70 access, cost the insurance £1200. A year later another chip from a stone thrown up. That was repaired by Autoglass. You can still see the damaged bit but it’s garuanteed. They inject a resin mix into the crack/ hole.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The screen on our A class Carthago developed a crack while in France. It started right at the top centre where there was a tiny chip and gradually worked its way down.
It took a while for a new screen to arrive, because Autoglass ordered the wrong one, so we did another trip to France.
Must have done well over 2k miles with the crack and it never got much bigger.
Message is......don't panic, it will probably be OK for ages.

Richard.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I had the same problem last year. Unfortunately the screen had to be replaced (not an A class I might add). The Carglass guys from Bezier came to the campsite in Agde to do the work.

OP
OP
obanvanman

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Just had a conversation with a very nice French type chap from Carglass. He has arranged for us to go to their workshop in Beziers on Monday at 0930. Should be sober by then.(y)

:merci:

Reactions: Jim
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
My Aclass screen has hit by a stone, cracking from top to bottom, and needed replacing, although I was assured that I could use it without concern. My excess was £75 and the cost to the insurance (SAGA) was just under £3k.

When I renewed my insurance I was offered a cheaper package via Adrian Flux BUT reading the small print showed that the maximum they would cover was £1500, and no-one mentioned it during the selling process. When I rang and asked to increase the cover, I was told that it was impossible: all their policies had £1500 as a maximum.

Always consider the worst, whilst hoping for the best - Gordon

PS I returned to SAGA after persuading AF to cancel their policy, although they wanted to charge me £25 set-up fee which I successfully fought.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Let's hope it is repairable, because neither Autoglass or Carglass replace A class windscreens in France or Spain.

Pete

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
Had two Cracks of at least 30cm in two locations on windscreen on A class passed the Mot this year and had been there for 2 years plus as was waiting to have sorted when van required its first MOT and had booked it in for a service when dealer rung asking did i want it Mot'd whilst they had it.
And that was at Iveco main Dealer,will assume they no the criteria re pass or Failure.
Have just had it replaced by Autoglass at the dealers premises whilst in for habitation check for 10 year water ingress warranty(Had to wait for screen to be sent from Germany as heated).

OP
OP
obanvanman

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Let's hope it is repairable, because neither Autoglass or Carglass replace A class windscreens in France or Spain.

Pete
Oh double rollocks. Was just thinking about sobering up, so it's back to the pub for me.

PS Ever thought about being a motivation speaker??:pray:

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Be aware that having high ish heating on in the van or bright sunshine can make the crack spread.
We had a very small chip .had the van heating on high all evening and night and by morning it had spread right across the screen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back