Roller team Zefiro roof leaking (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
R

Richie B

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Unless It was a van with PUAL Construction, I’d avoid any vehicle that had had a damp repair, regardless of quality or warranty given.
I’ve personally known too many owners that have had ongoing problems, almost to the point of scrapping vehicles, even after returns to the factory, or 10k repairs.
If it’s damp - walk away, simples...

FWIW, Rollerteam appear to still be using timber framing (as I would of expected)

Two things to consider with that video. It's the models that pre date mine. The floor yes wooden, roof and above cab bedroom no clarification in that video, although their website indicates not. As above I'll get a second opinion and be swayed by that and if needs be go back to the dealer unless my 10 days proves such.

I'm beginning to wonder if ownership was the right thing to do. It would appear, according to many that unless they are kept inside 24/7 and never exposed to rain they disintegrate.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well the dealership said, although they would, there was no damage and the construction contained no wood, so that's some good news. As before being that the majority of MH live outside and exposed to the elements I fail to see why any unprotected wood should be used. Thick PVC joists and aluminium would be better and potentially lighter. Wood seems irresponsible unless it's high grade marine material.
It appears to me at least that you are 'assuming' how MHs are built and in the ideal world they would be done with non-rotting structural materials etc, but unfortunately that's not the case with a lot of them. If they have timber in the wall/ceiling it will just be normal stuff, not marine etc, so just because there's no wood in the roof doesn't mean there isn't any in the walls so a very, VERY thorough damp inspection is a must, ideally by someone experienced in doing one and knowing all the 'hidden' areas that might need checking, rather than just someone who has the damp meter and thinks they know how to use it which IMV is how some of the 'so called' damp checks are done simply to keep warranties valid.

I know it's been a hassle to find the right MH and will cause you extra aggro if you hand it back but that shouldn't come into the equation at all ... if there is ANY doubt about how well the MH has been repaired or it's future soundness please don't keep it no matter how tempting.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm beginning to wonder if ownership was the right thing to do. It would appear, according to many that unless they are kept inside 24/7 and never exposed to rain they disintegrate.
Not true, some have issues, but the vast majority don't if looked after and checked so that any issues are sorted quickly before they become a problem, some MHs don't have any problems at all however having one that you KNOW has had water ingress should make you check it more thoroughly. We've had a few coachbuilt MHs and only one had any damp which was 10 years old at the time and simply due to a rear corner seal that needed new mastic ... it was only spotted when we traded it in by a technician that did the damp check who told us how to fix it (in case we didn't go ahead with pxing it) but commented that it was the driest one he'd seen, so I don't think 10 years without any obvious re-sealing etc was a bad record.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014

You're worrying too much I think, and personally I wouldn't give up on that van straight away. Leaks are fixable. I have a van from a budget brand, just like Roller Team, and at 13 years old it's only ever had a damp issue in the garage doors - that was sorted under warranty when it was 1 year old. No problems since, and it's checked every year at Dave Newells.

Resealing a roof light if there's no sign of further damage is an easy job. You could always ask the dealers to show you the exposed roof cutout or send you pictures whilst the rooflight is out. You could also get an independent damp check somewhere else for piece of mind, wouldn't cost much.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Not the water you see it is the water you do not see creeping along the framework rotting it out completely is if is wood and it probably is. Reject it NOW. sod the bookings.

OP
OP
R

Richie B

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Appreciated, as above I can use my bookings and still refuse within 30 days.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Yep - have your holiday and take the bl@@dy thing back. You'll have all winter to find another, after a good lesson learned and a narrow escape.:Eeek:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The fact that they had already said there was damp in another area would have had me running out of showroom.
Looks like they use polystyrene insulation not PU foam like the Germans. With polystyrene water can capillary through it so without stripping off every panel on the van you will never know how far it's gone.

I know it's not what you want to hear but your best option is get rid of it, reject it.

OP
OP
R

Richie B

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Hi all, an update. Whilst on holiday in August the van leaked again! I rejected the van within 30 days and requested a full refund. They refused stating they sold as a broker, on behalf of the sales man, oh how i laughed (but neglected to tell us or provide a contract) but would repair.

I had the van inspected by an independent repairer who noted a previous sub standard repair.

I'd paid a deposit with my CC and they got involved and I was able to get a solicitor through an insurance policy and a threat of trading standards. Finally today they have agreed a full refund. All very stressful but it's over.

Wife is now very reluctant to buy another and I can't blame her. So the question is for a £30,0000 budget what should I be looking at to change her mind? Near to me is a 2009 Burstner nexxo, any good? Ideally I need bunks for the kids. Chausson do models with bunks, anybody have experience of them?

Any comments / advice much appreciated.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Don't rush, take your time, look at quality second hand, older(pre 2007) Hymers are good vans, the only Achilles heel is timber underfloor which rots, roof and wall construction is wonderful quality.
Roller team are renowned for damp.
Older Niesmann are quality too, double skinned aluminium construction.
BEFORE you go ahead ask on here about the van in question.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Nothing wrong with Burstner as a brand. Usual caveats apply as with buying anything. Best of luck with your search; the right van will find you....

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The stained ceiling is being addressed. The obvious answer would be money back, but as above brings a host of other issues. A possibility is extended warranty to cover the issues. I do wonder about the generally theory that a van has a leak, it's junk.

Surely modern vans don't utilise wood stripping anymore for structure other than possibly the floor and can take some water? I can't ascertain the building materials used in Roller Team construction. If they do use wood, surely it's marine spec?

So thanks all for your advice I'm considering my options. I'll see how it performs over the next 10 days. If anyone has any successful stories of water ingress and repair / longevity I'd be interested to know to help me form a balanced opinion.
400 quid is nothing to what you will lose in the long run. I've always avoided vans with 2 stage roofs as there's always joins in the stupidist of places usually where water pools.

Once water is in it goes everywhere and it's later you find the damage.
It's a budget manufacturer so probably does still have wood in the construction.
If you have a get out of jail card and can return it DO it ...youll save money and hassle in the long run.
Then buy something better. Nowt wrong with buying privately if you buy wisely

Edit : never noticed the updated comment from today.

Glad you returned it ..
Definately the best move.

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi all, an update. Whilst on holiday in August the van leaked again! I rejected the van within 30 days and requested a full refund. They refused stating they sold as a broker, on behalf of the sales man, oh how i laughed (but neglected to tell us or provide a contract) but would repair.

I had the van inspected by an independent repairer who noted a previous sub standard repair.

I'd paid a deposit with my CC and they got involved and I was able to get a solicitor through an insurance policy and a threat of trading standards. Finally today they have agreed a full refund. All very stressful but it's over.

Wife is now very reluctant to buy another and I can't blame her. So the question is for a £30,0000 budget what should I be looking at to change her mind? Near to me is a 2009 Burstner nexxo, any good? Ideally I need bunks for the kids. Chausson do models with bunks, anybody have experience of them?

Any comments / advice much appreciated.
Burstner is a good brand the one I owned was built like a tank. And I'm considering another as a replacement when I downsize.
No knowledge of the nexxo though

OP
OP
R

Richie B

Free Member
Aug 27, 2017
Funster No
Apologies I keep revitalising this thread, but there is a good learning point.

I have bought a new roller team Zefiro. Bought privately, my moisture detector didn't register more then 6.9 any where in the van.

The van is the same body as many others in the same group I believe. My old van had a leak from a roof repair and had an unsatisfactory roof repair. Unable to say for sure how this came about or what the repair was. The pictures attached show why and I could assume may be a shite repair that may appear on numerous different manufactors vehicles. One to look out for.

For those no good at spot the difference the old van has a section of roof cut out and replaced with seals either side.

Attachments

• IMG_20180923_191506.jpg
    IMG_20180923_191506.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20180813_175659.jpg
    IMG_20180813_175659.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 80

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.