Roller Team 707 and Fiamma F45S issue (1 Viewer)

Sgtash

Free Member
Aug 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 707
Exp
Hello All

I’m hoping that someone maybe able to help.

We picked up our new 707 just under three weeks ago and as part of the deal the supplying dealer fitted a few options one being a 4m Fiamma Sun Awning on the side of the MH.

Last week while using the MH for the first real time we have had an incident with the awning.
The awning was out around half way with the central Support in place and the legs pegged down, a moderate gust lifted the far leg side of the awning around two foot and when it cam down it tore a hole in the side of the MH.

Looking at the installation of the awning the fixing point had been secured through just the outer panel and foam insulation not through any reinforcement in the side wall.

This coupled with the location of the other mounting points, lead me to believe that the awning has not been installed correctly as per Manufacture instructions.

On rasing this issue with the supplying dealer the reply from Service manager was “we have been fitting them like that for years and it’s not our fault” my reply was a little harsher to say the least !

My question has anyone had a similar issue or do you have a contact email for Roller Team Italy as the UK distributor are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
All our motorhomes including our present Rollerteam have just had the F45 mounting plates mounted just through the sidewall, with a little Sikaflex behind the external plate, we never put it out without storm straps and get it in if the breeze gets up.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think the issue is with the leg pulling out of the ground not the way the awning itself is attached to the vehicle. Even if the awning had been bolted through the wall onto steel plates, the leg would still have pulled out of the ground, and if the awning had been extended fully, the leg wouldn't have been able to damage the vans wall.
I'm afraid operator error ( and a gust of wind) may be the cause here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There is no reinforcement for fixing the awning in sandwich walls. The awnings on the two mohos I have owned just drilled through with spreader plates at the back.

You have to be very careful with awnings when the wind is blowing. Pegs through the bottom plate will not be strong enough to hold it. You need to fit storm straps or wind it in.

OP
OP
S

Sgtash

Free Member
Aug 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 707
Exp
Just had a technical drawing sent from Roller Team and there are indeed reinforcement fixing points installed on the 707 which are 200x140x10mm.

The mounting point which failed was not in one of these points, this coupled with the mounting brackets not being in the correct location on the awning frame, which has also been confirmed by Fiamma is not correct looks like we will be taking this up with the supplying dealer.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Just had a technical drawing sent from Roller Team and there are indeed reinforcement fixing points installed on the 707 which are 200x140x10mm.

The mounting point which failed was not in one of these points, this coupled with the mounting brackets not being in the correct location on the awning frame, which has also been confirmed by Fiamma is not correct looks like we will be taking this up with the supplying dealer.
good luck, please let us know how you get on

OP
OP
S

Sgtash

Free Member
Aug 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 707
Exp
What is very worrying is that after contacting a couple of Roller Team dealers all have said that there is no reinforcement points or that the information is not available, these companies are meant to be the experts yet it took me just one phone call and an email to be given the information showing the reinforcement areas. How many more MH’s have had an Awning fitted in an incorrect location ?

Attachments

• F232D847-47E3-4419-A4B1-920D54BDEEF4.jpeg
    F232D847-47E3-4419-A4B1-920D54BDEEF4.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 172

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
What is very worrying is that after contacting a couple of Roller Team dealers all have said that there is no reinforcement points or that the information is not available, these companies are meant to be the experts yet it took me just one phone call and an email to be given the information showing the reinforcement areas. How many more MH’s have had an Awning fitted in an incorrect location ?

We're in the process of buying a Pegaso. I'd love to know the email address you used as I'd be interested to know where our fixing points are?

OP
OP
S

Sgtash

Free Member
Aug 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 707
Exp
We're in the process of buying a Pegaso. I'd love to know the email address you used as I'd be interested to know where our fixing points are?
Hi Jonno

I contacted Roller Team Uk and asked them to get the technical information from Italy very helpful only took around 48hrs

Might be longer at the moment as most factories in Italy have closed for annual holidays

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Jonno

I contacted Roller Team Uk and asked them to get the technical information from Italy very helpful only took around 48hrs

Might be longer at the moment as most factories in Italy have closed for annual holidays

Thanks Sgtash. Auto Trail in Grimsby always shut down for 3 weeks in August. I sent an email to Italy and received a standard electronic response stating that a reply would be available after the 19th.
We're opting for the Dometic awning as it's a few kg lighter.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back