Roll-out awning and wind speed (1 Viewer)

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
Morning all, we are currently on site and the wind is expected to pick up later. I have heard that a roll-out awning has to be brougt in if it gets too windy. That feels a bit subjective, is there any guidance on a maximum wind speed or gust that you should not use an awning?

Cheers

Gerry

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
if ours is out/extended and it starts to flap/make a noise I get it in, apart from the damage cost, it would disastrous trying to get it back in the cassette

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Expensive mistake if it all goes wrong. We use pegs on the legs and two Thule securing straps with large pegs in those.

I suppose it depends on how well you’ve got it secured down, but there are no maximum wind speed recommendations in our instruction manual. (y)

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Assuming you are using tie-downs the irritating flapping noises will tell you when to bring it in. Don't ever use it without tie-downs.

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, I wind it in every night now - had too many scares when I've thought it'll be fine, then when the wind gets up in the early hours it's no fun getting out of your cosy bed in your bedroom attire to bring it in (as quietly as you can)!

Upvote 0
Aug 14, 2019
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
2020 Bessacarr 597
Exp
On the Cirencester site now. Here until tomorrow but took our awning in this morning as the wx report says high winds. Even with storm straps and mid section rafter it still bounces a bit. Doesn’t take long to take it in but imagine to cost and hassle if it tears or rips off. Lots taken theirs in too this morning I’ve noticed.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Nearly lost ours when the wind got up and we dashed back to the van to get it in - fortunately at a Funster meet and lotsa help arrived quickly when it got out of control.

But in the middle of the night? Nope, get it in before dark. The only time I leave it out is when it's fully secured down and the forecast is for flat calm.

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
On the Cirencester site now. Here until tomorrow but took our awning in this morning as the wx report says high winds. Even with storm straps and mid section rafter it still bounces a bit. Doesn’t take long to take it in but imagine to cost and hassle if it tears or rips off. Lots taken theirs in too this morning I’ve noticed.
Yes….it’s a bit too windy in Ciren now for a wind-out to be out….. ;)

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Another factor to consider is wind direction. If the van is between the wind and the awning there is a bit more leeway. If it blows along the awning then having the into wind leg lower than the Lee leg makes it more stable.
Having said that I still tend to take it down unless dead calm forecast. And I always use straps.
Some years ago in our poptop we had a lovely evening in a valley in Norway. It was dead calm on going to bed but it picked up hugely in the night. We were side on to wind and were at risk of losing the roof. Had to wake our daughter ( who slept through it all!) move her down to our bed and lower the roof.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Exactly. There is no wind speed that is X it all depends on gusts, direction, shelter, if you can peg/guy or not, and how brave you feel.

I must say that some, normally from other countries, are far braver than me with mine.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Never leave the awning out while you're not around, then you should be aware of when to wind it in.
If it wraps itself over the van, you're unlikely to get it back in and will have an interesting time removing it all before you can move on, to say nothing of the expense.
Don't rely on the wind not changing direction or picking-up.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I used to leave mine out (always with storm straps and pegs in feet (Fiamma F45)) however, came back one day to find the storm straps had worked loose from the huge spring and was flapping! So always in when not attended now.

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
Exactly what I do.

There are also campsites where a high wind can come off mountains without warning on a calm sunny day.
Exactly and if in foreign climes you also get those mini whirl winds.as above if you are not there leave it in.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I used to leave mine out (always with storm straps and pegs in feet (Fiamma F45)) however, came back one day to find the storm straps had worked loose from the huge spring and was flapping! So always in when not attended now.
I don’t really get the idea of the springs, and don’t use them. Do you still use the springs?

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Here in Spain if it's windy then it means a change of weather. Best to be indoors then with the awning in. An awning is a necessity here during the summer and normally there's no wind. Maybe in the UK summer when it's windy it's best to be flying kites than risking your lot under an awning🙄

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I rarely use our awning after being called out to a motorhome that the awning had gone over the top in high winds.
It wouldn’t wind in so they wanted the motorhome recovering. Removing the remains of the old awning and disposing of it is the biggest issue. I didn’t even have a ladder for a start.
After a lot of thinking the site owners found a mobile caravan repairer I didn’t stay to see the end results but it must have been costly.
If in doubt wind it in and as others have said don’t leave it out overnight.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
If it gets too bad and the awning has to come in we hook a string/strap around the anchorage along middle-front and I hold that whilst hubby sorts unpegging/getting legs up and winding in!
In a ‘gusting’ wind it only take one push whilst you are trying to wind it in to send it over!
If you think it’s too windy get it in, better safe than sorry!

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Yes, I wind it in every night now - had too many scares when I've thought it'll be fine, then when the wind gets up in the early hours it's no fun getting out of your cosy bed in your bedroom attire to bring it in (as quietly as you can)!
Morning all, we are currently on site and the wind is expected to pick up later. I have heard that a roll-out awning has to be brougt in if it gets too windy. That feels a bit subjective, is there any guidance on a maximum wind speed or gust that you should not use an awning?

Cheers

Gerry
There's no rule of thumb because a lot depends on wind direction relative to the awning, the degree to which you are sheltered by hedges, trees and other mohos etc. It also depends on what lengths you have gone to to tie your awning down - we never deploy ours without guy ropes - and whether or not you have a central beam fitted. That said, I would be winding it in if anything much more that 16 knots (gusting) was forecast.

Rain is also a big factor to consider - if you haven't deployed your awning with a slight 'lean' to one side or the other to ensure that any rain that falls on it runs off and doesn't pool, there's a big risk of breaking things because of the sheer weight of water if you are caught out with a heavy rainfall. We saw this first hand in Italy last year when our daughter's moho lost an arm (snapped off) due to an unforeseen thunderstorm at four in the morning. It was quite refreshing to be out and about in a torrential downpour at that time of the morning, stowing flapping bits and pieces on her van, but our awning was fine with the water running off one side.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back