Nov 4, 2018
Royal Wootton Bassett
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Hi-Line
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for this.

We are getting it Wednesday and it is booked in to VanBitz on the Thursday for the Strikeback with tracker (think that's what its called - recommended by lots of you here - got the discount too thank you)! :D2

He did not mention a gas alarm. Is that a thing? Worth investing in? No idea on specifics of the story.

And did he try to sell you a gas alarm???? How far did they drive the day before and how much did they drink before they went to bed? I sleep much better (and deeper) in the van than at home. Martin is a light sleeper but when we are in the van I can climb over him, go to the loo and return to bed and he doesn't wake.

Vanbitz alarms are the best you can get (don't forget to tell them in advance you are a Funster for your discount)

The type of gassing story related always happened to a friend of a friend's third cousin six times removed. The reports in the papers are sensationalist and in my jaded opinion are given to the press to bolster insurance claims. Looking at the reports they are unbelievable, I don't know anyone who has suitcases inside a motorhome (where would you keep them for a start) and there is always a lot of cash and expensive electronics and jewelry taken. I'm not sure how many of us take that sort of thing on holiday with them - I used all mine up to buy the van :)

That is before you read reports from professionals that gassing is not possible.

Take sensible precautions but don't over think things, remain vigilant but not anxious. Enjoy your van.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks for this.

We are getting it Wednesday and it is booked in to VanBitz on the Thursday for the Strikeback with tracker (think that's what its called - recommended by lots of you here - got the discount too thank you)! :D2

He did not mention a gas alarm. Is that a thing? Worth investing in? No idea on specifics of the story.
Hi @RichieRY
@Puddleduck was being sarcastic in that post. Being gassed while asleep is something that crops up now and again as an apocryphal story. Don’t worry, you won’t be gassed by intruders in your van.

However, you must make sure that you have a working smoke detector, CO2 detector and possibly LPG detector depending on your set up.

If unsure ask Vanbitz on Thursday.

So exited for you getting your MH on Wednesday.
There will be a lot to take in on handover, so make notes or use your mobile to video it.

:dance2:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
T
He did not mention a gas alarm. Is that a thing?

Hi @RichieRY
@Puddleduck was being sarcastic in that post. Being gassed while asleep is something that crops up now and again as an apocryphal story. Don’t worry, you won’t be gassed by intruders in your van.

However, you must make sure that you have a working smoke detector, CO2 detector and possibly LPG detector depending on your set up.

If unsure ask Vanbitz on Thursday.

Wot was said above regarding the knock out gas alarm (and the Carbon Monoxide alarm and smoke detector). Eddie and his crew will keep you right.

We had to take our smoke alarm down this morning as it goes off when we cook toast - not a problem as we know it works and it is sensitive, goes off before my delicate nose smells anything :)

Enjoy your van.

We are on a site near King's Lynn at the moment and have had a hour of magnificent entertainment watching someone try to site a new (or new to them) caravan. Luckily someone who knew what was what came to their aid, as I know nothing about caravans I couldn't help but dis feel a bit smug knowing we drove onto the pitch, estimated the slope, reversed, placed the blocks and drove onto them. Then it was just a case of plugging in the EHU and the job's a good 'un :) Had we been here less time we wouldn't even have bothered with the leveling ramps/blocks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I wonder why they only joined the forum today to air a story from the 22nd Dec? Id have thought if you were new to Motorhoming you'd join the forum (and pay) and get some advise before travelling.

I'm sceptical.
Eh, fit? No logic in your summation whatsoever. I wonder why you joined the forum, to get help perhaps, or just mock :rolleyes: you have to give folks a chance. Bit smart arsed to suggest that this wouldn’t happen if you join a formum.

Nov 4, 2018
Royal Wootton Bassett
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Hi-Line
Exp
I'm a newbie
So exited for you getting your MH on Wednesday.
There will be a lot to take in on handover, so make notes or use your mobile to video it.

I will be on my iPad recording all! We are very new to this - never even hired one before buying :LOL:. We are very excited. We bought it for our adopted kids really. Hoping that having a familiar place away from home will help with some of our holidays issues with attachment. #praying

Nov 4, 2018
Royal Wootton Bassett
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Hi-Line
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wot was said above regarding the knock out gas alarm (and the Carbon Monoxide alarm and smoke detector). Eddie and his crew will keep you right.

I will be sure to ask about this. I assumed it would have come with this sort of stuff being brand new? Best to be covered!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I will be sure to ask about this. I assumed it would have come with this sort of stuff being brand new? Best to be covered!

Ours did, a gift from the dealer, but many don't. They aren't expensive to buy but if you need one and don't have one you might pay with your life.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I will be on my iPad recording all! We are very new to this - never even hired one before buying :LOL:. We are very excited. We bought it for our adopted kids really. Hoping that having a familiar place away from home will help with some of our holidays issues with attachment. #praying

They will love it!
You will make holiday memories that will last a lifetime. The great thing about campsites, is that children can run around in a relatively safe space, make friends with other children and both them and you can be relaxed about them “playing out” knowing that you are close by.

I’m 100% sure it will come with the necessary detectors.

If I remember, you were going to pop in for a cuppa sometime ?? We are taking another couple of newbies away next week Tues to Thurs to show them the ropes. Only going short way to Tredegar House, Newport as no need to go further. Home after that though. :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ours did, a gift from the dealer, but many don't. They aren't expensive to buy but if you need one and don't have one you might pay with your life.
I’m surprised, you would think it would be a legal requirement.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
They will love it!
You will make holiday memories that will last a lifetime. The great thing about campsites, is that children can run around in a relatively safe space, make friends with other children and both them and you can be relaxed about them “playing out” knowing that you are close by.

I’m 100% sure it will come with the necessary detectors.

If I remember, you were going to pop in for a cuppa sometime ?? We are taking another couple of newbies away next week Tues to Thurs to show them the ropes. Only going short way to Tredegar House, Newport as no need to go further. Home after that though. :)
Ok, maybe 99% sure!:whistle:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
You would have thought so but our previous van didn't have them included.

We only got a free smoke alarm as recompense for being messed about when we collected the MH. It was still up to us to decide how and where to fit it.

It's about time the converters took responsibility for this safety issue and factory-fitted them as standard, so it isn't left up to the dealer who probably wants to sell you one.

Nov 4, 2018
Royal Wootton Bassett
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Hi-Line
Exp
I'm a newbie

Yes! I am looking to go away not too far on Friday 15th Feb or the Saturday until the Monday if you are out and about then? We know that area well - we used to live in Cardiff - possibly moving back (to that exact area).

If you are not free then we could defo call in on that Friday or Saturday?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Yes! I am looking to go away not too far on Friday 15th Feb or the Saturday until the Monday if you are out and about then? We know that area well - we used to live in Cardiff - possibly moving back (to that exact area).

If you are not free then we could defo call in on that Friday or Saturday?
I’ll send you a PM

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It's about time the converters took responsibility for this safety issue and factory-fitted them as standard, so it isn't left up to the dealer who probably wants to sell you one.

And at an inflated price for the exact same item that you can get elsewhere for less than half the price.

And I agree that they should be fitted as standard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back