Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Just before we left on this long trip to Europe I called Three to talk about taking out a one year contract on a mifi. I was told by the salesperson that I would be fine for six months in Europe and that on top of the 20gb I was buying I would get 'Go Binge'. This means we could watch Netflix and other online film and TV services freely without using any of our allowance. I was very clear that we would be in Europe and for up to six months and accepted his reassurance that all would be well. I knew that previously they limited the time abroad to 90 days but thought that this had changed with the law about roaming charges.
After three weeks in France I got a message to say we had used 80% of our allowance. As most of it had been on streaming allowable on Go Binge I got in touch to find out what had gone wrong. It turns out that the limit of 12gb per month is fixed even on Go Binge and that it was therefore a complete waste to buy a contract with 20gb a month as I can't use it. I was then told that there was still a 90 day limit. I stated quite clearly that I had been misled by the salesperson and they immediately gave me £90 credit on my account. The credit is generous and I accepted it gratefully but I'm still a bit stunned that the salesperson would give such blatantly false reassurances. The customer service person promised that the salesperson would be told about it.
So my advice is to be aware that sales people on Three are either ignorant of the rules or will tell you anything to get a sale.
Rant over ...
Happy Monday folks! Mags

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I doubt your experience is unique to Three. Use of sim cards outside the UK in the way most motorhomers want to use them isn't typical so the sales folk have little knowledge about it.

Deleted User
In France 3 PAYG will not allow streaming, not even audio.

When was this?

After the change in roaming charges in June my 3, 12 Gb PAYG data sim worked un choked and streamed OK.

In fact BBC iplayer works normally without the use of a VPN.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Unfortunately with 3 it depends on who you talk to. We entered in to the same contract using the shop in Glasgow. He told us that if we use it for tv/films then it would eat in to our allowance. He also said that we would be alright abroad so long as we didn't take the p$$$, (only in Glasgow) and that was 2 years ago.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
When was this?

After the change in roaming charges in June my 3, 12 Gb PAYG data sim worked un choked and streamed OK.

Apologies must have changed last tried in April. Every other country in Europe yes France no.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
When was this?

Is that the radio iplayer or tv one? The radio one always has been available except for odd programme for copyright reasons. If it was the tv one did it ask you to sign in like it does when you try it from a different location here?

Deleted User
Is that the radio iplayer or tv one? The radio one always has been available except for odd programme for copyright reasons. If it was the tv one did it ask you to sign in like it does when you try it from a different location here?

Yes the TV iplayer now works and not just in France, it does now ask to sign in as it does in the UK.

Not sure about the copyright on the radio using the 3 sim, never noticed but I would assume that it does not apply as the BBC seems to think you are actually in the UK.

I don't stream much though, usually download and watch later, even on good connections streaming can still break up.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Yes the TV iplayer now works and not just in France, it does now ask to sign in as it does in the UK.

Not sure about the copyright on the radio using the 3 sim, never noticed but I would assume that it does not apply as the BBC seems to think you are actually in the UK.

I don't stream much though, usually download and watch later, even on good connections streaming can still break up.
The radio one does block certain programmes abroad because of copyright. 6 nations matches for one. Tune into R5 and all you hear over and over again is "...... For copyright reasons the current programme is unavailable outside the UK ......." tends to be for when the rights have been sold to other national broadcasters I think

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back