Roaming charges end on 15 June

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mikebeaches, Apr 20, 2017.

1. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

2. Bognor Saint

Bognor Saint Funster

We are on the "3" network and have this for a few years now. Good news for everyone else.

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. Fellraven

Fellraven Funster

I guess all you Brexiteers will carry on paying out of principle.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

It may be the next PPI claim :LOL:

5. chaser

chaser Funster

Right , does anyone know the answer to this,presently on an o2 contract, when in Europe you don't use any of your contract mins but go on to a fixed £1.99 a day for all data and calls, so now is it going to be scrapped and just go to useing your contract mins, as it is now data is unlimited for the day, but on my contract I only have 2 gb a month so that is soon going to be used up.

6. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I don't really know the answer to your specific question chaser, but my understanding was that whatever your existing contract provides in the UK, from 15 June it would be the same in the remainder of Europe? 2GB a month sounds a reasonable allowance to me for just surfing the net and email etc, but obviously won't go far if streaming video or downloading a lot of music. I've only got 1GB a month on my phone contract and never manage to use it - but then I guess it's supplemented with plenty of wi-fi useage.

7. chaser

chaser Funster

That is true, I never use my allowance at home but then most of what I do is on the house wifi, when in Europe we mainly use a mifi with a 3 sim for data, tethered to tablets which are on broadband at home, so don't know whether the o2 would suffice or to get new 3 sims.

8. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Exactly the same with us - we have a '3' sim in a mi-fi, but we do also use campsites as well as aires, so sometimes get free wi-fi. But I think 2GB would go quite a long way - you can check how much you've consumed using the app on your phone (or at least I can). As an aside, my son suggested to me yesterday that watching TV/video consumes about 200MB an hour.

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

1 day then:(

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Yeh, not much good for watching the telly... ;)

11. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Being devoid of Techie savviness I may almost nothing when abroad with my brick on a PAYG Tesco, HOWEVER I've just put another tenner on it (plus the 'free' £20 for a month)

I've noticed that when I'm in the UK, the charge is way over the 4p a min I get charged in the EU.
    No doubt this will change and I'll be charged an arm and a leg when I go abroad.

12. chaser

chaser Funster

I am on a o2 contract, been with them for at least 10 years as it is the only one that works at home, anyway I have upgraded over the years, I tell them I'm moving every year and have now got down to £10 a month unlimited calls and texts and 2 gb data, but they still charge the £1.99 a day abroad, so at home my bill is always a tenner but when in Europe my basic tenner still stands but they charge this £1.99 a day extra, and it kicks in automatically the first time you text , call or use data every midnight to midnight, which if added to my data allowance might work out dearer than we are now.
    Minefield(n):(

13. The Nomad

The Nomad Funster

To answer the OP - by April 2019 the UK will (we assume) no longer be in the EU.
    People visiting the EU from non-EU countries now do not normally benefit from any non-additional-charges when using their non-EU-country phone and airtime contract within the EU.

I therefore assume that from the date of the UK leaving the EU, UK visitors to the EU (and EEA countries) will likely face the same additional roaming charges on their in-EU calls/texts and downloads that all other non-EU visitors to the EU do now.

Your own UK airtime supplier MIGHT be able/willing to negotiate a deal with some airtime suppliers in some/all EU member States to enable you not to have to pay some or all of the additional roaming charges that you'd otherwise have to (in exchange for those other company's customers getting the same "subsidised" deal from you UK airtime provider when they visit the UK).
    BUT I'd have thought that highly unlikely in the absence of international regulatory force, because all that would do is reduce the extra profits that each/all of those airtime providers make from carrying calls/texts/data from non-customers who are visiting countries they provide airtime within.

14. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

Not sure about this part as three already have the 'feel at home deal' for many non EU countries. I think the trend away from roaming will continue, however, outside of the EU it wont have the legislation to back it up so we are once again at the mercy of the large telecommunications companies. I doubt we will get as good a deal outside of the EU but I am not sure we will be returning to the horrors of roaming fees as such.

15. The Nomad

The Nomad Funster

My understanding is that the Three UK "Feel at Home" deal is only for certain packages, and in any event isn't unlimited free roaming.

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

The '3' network 'Internet with legs' pay-as-you go 4g data-only sim can be purchased without a contract and lasts for up to 12 months (12GB), or 24 months (24GB). There are also similar sims available with less data and shorter validity durations. They are in effect a pre-pay sim, because topping them up is expensive - better to replace with another pre-paid sim. They work on the continent, as well as in the UK. I'm unsure about further afield?

17. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

You would have no chance of streaming tv on 3, even if you could afford it, especially in France. You are even blocked from streaming audio (uk radio).
    No roaming charges doesn't mean same service as subscribers to the local network get. Also you get 3G instead of 4g.

Dick