Roadworks Hamburge (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Travelling up to Denmark couple of weeks and trying to decide which route read that the road between Bremen and Hamburg is a no go is this true anyone been there recently
If so what is the alternative thanks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It was certainly bad last year as we were heading North and Southbound looked even worse I have heard it still is, we avoided Hamburg on the way home by crossing the Elbe on a little ferry from Gluckstadt and then going to Bremerhaven which is worth a visit anyway.

Martin

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Gotta walk the dog and then go shopping but I'll come back on this later, I'll just post this to remind me to follow up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Terrible around Bremen, on one stretch it said until Dec 2018, Hamburg shocking too, so plan carefully.
Could you do an alternative route or travel through the night?
It was that bad around Bremen we came back from Hamburg an alternative route and through Hannover, that was just as bad with horrendous delays and roadworks.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We did Bremen to Hamburg last Sunday. It was busy with cars motorhomes and caravans but we were not held up at all.
Lorries are banned Saturday and Sundays July August and first week of September. If we had gone during week i guess it may have been different.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We did Bremen to Hamburg last Sunday. It was busy with cars motorhomes and caravans but we were not held up at all.
Lorries are banned Saturday and Sundays July August and first week of September. If we had gone during week i guess it may have been different.

Good god, so different to us 3 weeks ago, Sunday we travelled and it was full of lorries, so can't weigh that one up? Caz even commented''Why don't they ban lorries on Sundays'' She used to live in Germany and that used to be the case all she said.

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Good god, so different to us 3 weeks ago, Sunday we travelled and it was full of lorries, so can't weigh that one up? Caz even commented''Why don't they ban lorries on Sundays'' She used to live in Germany and that used to be the case all she said.

@CazPaul neither can I! According to this link…

http://www.bilaieuropa.se/images3/2018_3.pdf

...lorries are indeed banned on the autobahns Saturday/Sunday between 07:00 and 22:00. We travelled on Sunday the 8th and as you so quite rightly wrote, it was full of lorries.

As regards around Hamburg (we turned off to Hannover rather than drove to Bremen) it was far, far worse than at the same period last year. So much so that we are seriously thinking of avoiding travelling through Germany next year. That will be for the first time in close to 40 years!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
@CazPaul neither can I! According to this link…

http://www.bilaieuropa.se/images3/2018_3.pdf

...lorries are indeed banned on the autobahns Saturday/Sunday between 07:00 and 22:00. We travelled on Sunday the 8th and as you so quite rightly wrote, it was full of lorries.

As regards around Hamburg (we turned off to Hannover rather than drove to Bremen) it was far, far worse than at the same period last year. So much so that we are seriously thinking of avoiding travelling through Germany next year. That will be for the first time in close to 40 years!

Yes exactly, we travelled on Sunday the 15th July so a week after you and it was choc full of lorries on the autobahn, we are doing the dead same as you and avoiding Germany the remainder of this year and probably next.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We ended up with visitors and while they were gazing idly at their phones as they do I've looked up some old, well some of it very recent, info.

Well I can't help much only to confirm what has already been said but you did ask for route suggestions.

Bremen and Hamburg is always like that and will be until 2025 I'm told. We go via Harwich and the Hook in the car each year to Hirtshals in the far north of Jylland and we’ll be doing the same this coming Thursday. We’ve recently done the same trek in the motorhome via the tunnel through Denmark and the Oresundsbron to Norway.

Anybody interested in Scandinavia without the long haul to get there might be interested in RHEG, a Facebook group dedicated to getting someone, anyone, to start a new link since the demise of the Harwich to Esbjerg route. Reading the posts on there it is one long sorry tale of Hamburg and the delays.

Leaving in the motorhome at the end of May we followed a suggestion and stayed on the 1 south of Hamburg turning north on the eastern side. Nightmare! Crawled along for 90 minutes, to add to the story after Bad Segeberg there was no access onto the A7 north to Flensburg. 25 minutes spent crawling south to rejoin the northern lane. We travelled 15 minutes watching the southbound traffic at a standstill. That route still involves Bremen of course which can be just as bad.

Coming home three weeks ago it was steady through the roadworks coming south to Hamburg and through the new Elbe tunnel but soon after it we passed a standing queue of traffic going east for the next 12 minutes. We were travelling at around 55mph until we saw the end of the line and the poor unsuspecting trail of vehicles happily bombing along to join them. Same at Bremen where there was a shunt in the 2 lane roadworks going east and we passed the queue for 17 minutes still at around 55mph, you do the maths. :)

Just a couple of comments this week on FB and the journeys made in the last week or ten days:

We are now driving the 500 miles to Esberg from Rotterdam . Dreadful round Bremen. Good luck to everyone who attempts the same this summer.

As promised a report on the autobahns. Not sure if the hot weather had an effect on people but they weren’t particularly fast yesterday.
Joining A1 from A30 it was slow 5-10km with road widening. Contra flow still in effect near Bremen but moving. There was a break down on the other side at one point which brought out the rubber necks (didn’t expect that of Germans). Backed up again when the A1 turned north on the far side of Hamburg, but that could’ve been home time traffic (it was around 4pm), but once we got on the A21 it was plain sailing. Caught the tail end of the A7 roadworks at Neumünster, nothing really, then a clear run all the way to Randers.

In the van last month we went via the tunnel with the dog but normally from the Hook in the car we do a zig zag north through Holland and Germany to the ferry across the Mersey the Elbe.

Our usual route unless we get lost or google maps sends us off to avoid delays is this:

The road numbers change frequently on google maps where they share local/EU numbering but from Rotterdam we go A20/A12 for Utrecht, A28 Amersfoort, E30/A1 Apeldoorn, A50/E232 Zwolle, Meppel, A37 Meppen A31/A28 Oldenburg then 293/211/212/437/M27 Bremerhaven/ Cuxhaven then 73 for Hemmoor and 473 for the Wischafen to Gluckstadt ferry.

On the other side we went Itzehoe, Rendsburg on the 77 for the motorway north to Flensburg.

On the return journey we’d forgotten the Wischafen side and followed the traffic straight across at Hemmoor on the 495 and 71 and that was very slow with a lot of traffic on single lane rural roads. We’ll remember to stick to the motorway and coast next time!

Last year, or was it the year before, the Cuxhaven to Brunsbuttel ferry had just reopened and we took that, and the 75 minutes crossing time did give us a rest and a snack onboard but that or the often long wait for the Wischafen ferry still means an hour or more on the journey. Word has it that the route has closed again and I've just done a trial booking on the website but got a service error so it's anybody's guess if it's still running.

That or Hamburg where you could be lucky, the choice is yours. If you can travel at night it is much quieter through Bremen and Hamburg.

On Friday morning we'll make our mind up when we drive off at the Hook, we may follow the A27 and A6 north toward Groningen and hopefully leave the busier bits around Utrecht a bit sooner.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back