Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Just fitted a roadpro sat dome, worked great at home, but on a site with a bit of tree cover, no signal
New to this sat business, are they sensitive to trees :Angry:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Just fitted a roadpro sat dome, worked great at home, but on a site with a bit of tree cover, no signal

sorry to hear you have no signal,,,but i will be watching this post as just trying to decide if and what system to have fitted,,,or if to just get a dish on a tripod and save some cash....:Sad:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Like any dish it will need a virtually free sight of the satellite at 28.2 degrees east. So, yes. :Smile:

Edit: To enlarge on that I was at Blenheim last month and got nothing on site as I was looking SSE along the tree line. In Blenheim Park next day in the open I got a perfect signal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
???

Roadpro fitted and find it excellent, only as far south as the med and no problems whatsoever.
Very seldom bothered by trees. Free standing setup for many years previously and again very good, carried it around as a backup for a while but decided there was no point - took up wine space ::bigsmile:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
If there is a tree between the sat dome and the satellite you will not get a signal. :Sad:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
our first trip out with new dome fitted got nothing, thing just kept searching. Seriously disappointed, we were parked up against a tall hedge but I expected better

Moved next day by only about 30', perfect reception, as said you do need a reasonable line of site

No problems since, more careful where we pitch :thumb:

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Sat Signals need clear line of sight

TV satellites use a very high frequency for the downlink, so high that they don't go through anything, even a loosely leafed branch will stop them.
I recommend a smart phone app called Dishpointer which uses the inbuilt compass and gps so that you can see the satellite and anything in the line of site.
Stick with it its a great way of getting tv but you just have to be aware of your surroundings when you stop.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003

All satellite dishes in dome or out need a clear unobstructed line of sight to the transmitting satellite, in your case its the Astra cluster at 28.2 deg east.
I would advise getting a decent compass setting it to 28 deg east and using it to check your pitch when you arrive on site, its not only trees but any obstruction will prevent you getting a good reception, you will also need to get used to the angle of elevation the further north you go the lower the trees that will get in the way, after a while you will find it very easy to decide if a pitch is suitable,
It also helps to ask the wardens on the site which pitches are OK for satellites, most of the time they are helpful :thumb:

OP
OP
easygirl

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Thanks for all replies, I will persevere, it locked on a satellite within 20 sec at home. So I'm happy everything is working ok,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back